Glen Beck says Philli to NYC takes 45 hours

Scooby Doo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta gls
the new plug in pirius that has debuted in japan goes 8 miles on a 4 hour charge. good job Toyota.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would guess that is typical of Glen Beck's clear accurate reporting. The last I heard the prototype was doing 10 miles on a 10 hour charge.

Let's face it Beck is an entertainer, not a newsman.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
mavapa said:
Actually, Glen Beck is a moron, not an entertainer.
I would agree with you except I doubt if he believes what he says and he makes a lot more money for less work than I did before retired. ;)

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
From MSNBC:

The Plug-in HV displayed Wednesday runs on the same nickel metal hydride battery as the Prius and has a cruising range of 13 kilometers (8 miles) on electricity. Takimoto said tests will help in deciding the range consumers want.

The maximum speed of Plug-in HV is 100 kph (62 mph) as an electric vehicle. The batteries require about 1.5 hours to recharge at 200 volts and three or four hours at 100 volts, and the company recommends recharging overnight when power costs are cheaper in Japan.
So, it would be more accurate to say that it operates as an electric (only) vehicle for 8 miles up to 62 mph. Beyond this, it uses it's gas engine. Today, it operates (I think) for 1.5 miles and up to 30 mph as an all-electric vehicle before switching over to gas.

Last edited:

Scooby Doo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta gls
weedeater said:
From MSNBC:

So, it would be more accurate to say that it operates as an electric (only) vehicle for 8 miles up to 62 mph. Beyond this, it uses it's gas engine. Today, it operates (I think) for 1.5 miles and up to 30 mph as an all-electric vehicle before switching over to gas.
thank you i didn't take the time to look it up, but i must say one thing for glen beck. all his information is accurate.
and as he has always said, he is no journalist.

Scooby Doo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta gls
if tomorrow they introduced a pirus that went 50 miles on a charge and offered it cheaply i may just buy it. but i don't see anyone getting out of oil. and yes i think its a setup by big oil.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
DIESELprogrammer said:
Perhaps "it takes one to know one" has real meaning for you. After all if you really knew what you were talking about - you would know his name is Glenn Beck....
I don't listen to Glennnnn Beckkkk, but I have heard enough on the radio to recognize an idiot when I hear one. Nothing personal.

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
mavapa said:
I don't listen to Glennnnn Beckkkk, but I have heard enough on the radio to recognize an idiot when I hear one. Nothing personal.
Hate doesn't belong on this site. Reported.

TM

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Tin Man, if you read my post you will see that I am calling Beck an idiot. Did you report the poster I quoted who called me a moron? Go back to his posting and check it out.

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Sounds like just an opinion to me:confused:
Hardly. No backup. Just disagreement with his interpretation of the facts would be OK. Not calling someone a moron.

Calling people names has never been acceptable on this forum. Do you think its OK what he said and acceptable on this forum?

TM

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Given that the person in question (Glen Beck) isn't a forum member, I don't see a problem.

People call the President or other celebs names on here, I don't see an uprising because of that.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Given that the person in question (Glen Beck) isn't a forum member, I don't see a problem.

People call the President or other celebs names on here, I don't see an uprising because of that.
Its still hate in my view. It would be better if mavapa could back up his "opinion." Its not based on GB's intelligence, I can assure you.

TM

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
mavapa said:
Actually, Glen Beck is a moron, not an entertainer.
you forgot to include Rush Limbaugh and Ann Gaultier ( ?), Bill Oreilly and the rest of the Fox gang.

No offense ,Tin man.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dimitri16V said:
you forgot to include Rush Limbaugh and Ann Gaultier ( ?), Bill O'Reilly and the rest of the Fox gang.

No offense ,Tin man.
As long as they are to the right of your views they are idiots. Smart.:rolleyes:

You've unwittingly made my point. This is hate. If the same was said of, say, another demographic, one that represents the left or a nationality, it would be called hate by you in a split second.

TM

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
If Gandhi were here today I would beat the snot out of him just to show you what some real redneck hate looks like... :p

Why can't the lefties make a talk radio show work? Do they require visual aids to tell them what to do because they are too stupid to follow verbal instructions? :confused:

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
mavapa said:
Using that same mindset, I guess one could have read enough in this thread to draw the same conclusion about a given poster.

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
DIESELprogrammer said:
Using that same mindset, I guess one could have read enough in this thread to draw the same conclusion about a given poster.
Not me, I am full of love and hate for all people and no one in particular.

Both sides have some virtues and some flaws.

Generally speaking, Liberals are idealists and seek to live in a perfect world or at least rise above the problems that plague us.

Conservatives tend to be realists, dealing with how things really are now head on.

The ideals that Liberals seek are often unworkable or at least unobtainable in this life which tends to add up to grand plans and no meaningful results.

Conservatives more often pursue practical solutions and accept that they are not always the ideal.

Communism is the greatest system of government ever written about. It is the most Christian, caring, loving and sharing collective system of government ever dreamed up by man or satan. Unfortunately it is also among the very worst systems ever tried. It delivers exactly the opposite of what it promises to the working class every time it is practiced.

Capitalism is the meanest, cruelest, most selfish Godless system ever put on paper. Yet for about 200 years, it is the most successful system ever used each time it has been tried.

Liberals tend to think Communism is good or at least not so bad because of the utopia that it promises and they tend to loath capitalism because of how barbaric that it appears to be.

Conservatives hate Communism because they have seen it fail but they love Capitalism because they have seen it succeed.

Me? I'm a Smark!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smark&defid=1153165

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
LurkerMike said:
Communism is the greatest system of government ever written about.
Actually Communism is an economic system, not a system of government.

Most all of us are communist, as that is the standard economic model for the family. :D

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I think Glennnnnn Beckkkk is an idiot because of all the mistakes and lies he has had on his program, not because he tends to be right of center. He is the hateful person.

I would like to mention that I had not heard the "takes one to know one" argument since about fourth grade. It's not only juvenile, it's demonstrably wrong. For example, I think there are many practicing psycholgists of greater than average intelligence who could diagnose the mental condition of someone with an intelligence of an 8- to 12-year old (the now-unused definition of "moron").

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mavapa said:
I think Glennnnnn Beckkkk is an idiot because of all the mistakes and lies he has had on his program, not because he tends to be right of center. He is the hateful person.

I would like to mention that I had not heard the "takes one to know one" argument since about fourth grade. It's not only juvenile, it's demonstrably wrong. For example, I think there are many practicing psychologists of greater than average intelligence who could diagnose the mental condition of someone with an intelligence of an 8- to 12-year old (the now-unused definition of "moron").
Gee, that would make many news organizations on top of the list of hateful people. Not.

Its more virtuous to see through things, using facts as much as possible, and understand the various points of view. THAT allows for less hate and more disagreement. I would call people ignorant instead of degrading words like moron or idiot, even though there is some humor in these words when used in proper context.

My view of politics is that when science is used to prove or disprove an argument (such as "the world is flat"), what remains is political. What that means is, there is no science to pure politics in a strict use of the word, so its more a matter of choice/preference/values.

Communism is not just an economic system. It is one that devalues ownership and accountability. To many, especially those that have certain values, this is "evil." Capitalism, if defined as the use of money to gain power and influence and the accumulation thereof, exists in every Communist system there ever was, so its not a matter of polar opposites, IMO.

Cheers.

TM

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
Mavapa,

I've got to agree with you here. These days CNN is just plain full of it. Fox News never had any credibility since they'll manipulate the hell out of any "headline" or interview they can get ahold of.

Others,

Get real people, contempt for mainstream media has nothing to do with hate, it has to do with being an enlightened consumer. No way in hell, I'll buy any of that.

Just go to Foxnews.com and type in NASA. Any accomplishments listed or stories of success? No, just speculation on scandals and reported problems. These guys are so full of it! Don't even get me started on their "fair and balanced" nonsense.

Go ahead, call me a liberal because apparently you couldn't possibly dislike Fox and know bullsh*t when you see it unless you are. All republicans or democrats don't have to think the same way. Who brainwashed you?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vipervnm said:
Mavapa,

I've got to agree with you here. These days CNN is just plain full of it. Fox News never had any credibility since they'll manipulate the hell out of any "headline" or interview they can get a hold of.

Others,

Get real people, contempt for mainstream media has nothing to do with hate, it has to do with being an enlightened consumer. No way in hell, I'll buy any of that.

Just go to Fox News.com and type in NASA. Any accomplishments listed or stories of success? No, just speculation on scandals and reported problems. These guys are so full of it! Don't even get me started on their "fair and balanced" nonsense.

Go ahead, call me a liberal because apparently you couldn't possibly dislike Fox and know bullish*t when you see it unless you are. All republicans or democrats don't have to think the same way. Who brainwashed you?
Fox News is obviously a reaction to the overwhelming lemming-like New York Times feeding media drones we see everywhere else. It is only "fair and balanced" when you look at the rest of the media. Knowing the facts makes me feel like vomiting when I hear NPR news reporters treat dictators and mass murderers with complete respect, while the biases on Fox are more in tune with marketing the news and appealing to the other 75% of the population that is not leaning left.

I agree, Fox News is far too sensationalist for it to be a comprehensive source of information and limited in scope/time. But to make it out as a defective/bad/hypocritical broadcast misses the point. I enjoy cherry-picking some of the commentary which way often than not gives light on the hypocrisy in society and its declared benefactors. Yes, this can be a negative experience and can only be tolerated so much, and should change, but all media seems to fall into this mold.

TM

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
Tin Man said:
Fox News is obviously a reaction to the overwhelming lemming-like New York Times feeding media drones we see everywhere else. It is only "fair and balanced" when you look at the rest of the media. Knowing the facts makes me feel like vomiting when I hear NPR news reporters treat dictators and mass murderers with complete respect, while the biases on Fox are more in tune with marketing the news and appealing to the other 75% of the population that is not leaning left.

I agree, Fox News is far too sensationalist for it to be a comprehensive source of information and limited in scope/time. But to make it out as a defective/bad/hypocritical broadcast misses the point. I enjoy cherry-picking some of the commentary which way often than not gives light on the hypocrisy in society and its declared benefactors. Yes, this can be a negative experience and can only be tolerated so much, and should change, but all media seems to fall into this mold.

TM

It appears this tin man has a heart. My comments to that. Do what that rest of us who feel the "news" is slanted. Go to their sources and get the actual facts. News at one point was meant to relay facts so that you could draw your own conclusions. These mainstream media clowns carefully select facts and portions of quotes that support their conclusions. So am I to believe that we're supposed to listen to left leaning stations, then right leaning stations, and then combine those stories to try and assemble the facts of what actually happened? Being a structural engineer, I can't wait to hear what questions my family and friends will have for me as I try to undo the damage of misinformation that their parade of "experts" will undoubtedly spew on the general public about this I-35 bridge collapse. It'll be like 9/11 all over again, only hopefully without the speculation of C-4:rolleyes:. The quality of "news" in this country makes me sick. I'd like to think that Americans aren't too dumb to be able to draw their own conclusions about important events without being spoonfed.

Edit: Any newscaster who barks at you it just like a child trying to get attention. Pay them NO attention whatsoever and they'll go away. ::COUGH:: Bill O'Reilly ::COUGH::

Last edited: