Glad this didn't happen while driving.

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
My cars been doing the wheel bearing hum for a while now so decided to change it today. Everything was going well apart from a stubborn tie rod end. Brought the knuckle to the press the press immediately revealed this stress crack..

So I'm going to buy a new loaded knuckle from either idparts or aarodriguez sucks I'll have to wait a month for it though but don't feel like hitting the scrap yards :)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Wrenching and busting knuckles- OUCH!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Make sure there is a new wheel speed sensor in the new knuckle. If not you’ll probably need one. It doesn’t look like your old one is coming out in one piece.

Also you may want to get the strut spreader tool. They are literally worth their weight in gold, making the job so much easier and eliminates having to use a hammer to bang the strut out of the knuckle which is likely the cause of what happened here.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Wow, it's good you caught that. Agreed I have never had a wheel speed sensor come out in one piece.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Awww, don't waste yer money. A little JBWeld.....;)

J/K

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in canada :) Thus the month. Customs will sit on it. Although you guys are the best I order from you all the time ;)

JB weld :D I almost welded it Just so I can back it out of the shop but didn't seem worth the effort :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Where are you in Canada? Even our economy shipping shouldn't take that long. Economy to Ontario is usually 6-8 business days. And there are faster methods.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Our economy shipments clear in bulk as a business to business order to FedEx Canada. Maybe you won't get flagged :)

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Back on the road. Thanks again :)

Only problem with the new parts is I wish moog would break the edges on their machined surfaces (sharp as F and more prone to cracking, I'm sure it will be a non issue)

And my caster is apparently way off now but it's not adjustable. Not sure it's the new knuckle or just VW wierdness. Alignement guy didn't seem too concerned anyways.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Sort-of on subject question: what has to be done to remove the LCA ball joint from knuckle assembly? There is no room for an impact to fit in there. Thanks in advance.

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
I always remove the axle to replace the ball joint.

You can also use a open end wrench to undo the nut while the car is on the ground (weight stops the BJ from turning) until the nut hits the axle. Then raise the car and finish removing the nut, the pressure of the nut on the axle will pop it out of the socket.

But I prefer taking the axle out. It's way easier,

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Sort-of on subject question: what has to be done to remove the LCA ball joint from knuckle assembly? There is no room for an impact to fit in there. Thanks in advance.
A wrench, you use a wrench and some trickery, I say trickery cause there is not enough room with the axle there but you get it mostly loose and then pop it with the tool, then you may have to jam the ball joint to loosen the rest of the nut, it depends how bad it is.

Also, I've loosened the bolt (so there's room between nut and LCA) before and just taken a sawzall to it. Ta-da, 5 minutes ;)

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
When I was removing mine, I just loosened the nut on the ball joint until it was up near the top of it's range, and pushed the taper out of the spindle socket.
I'm fairly sure it was just pushing against the CV joint housing, though I may have put another wrench there for it to press against, I can't remember now.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Yes, you can loosen the nut until it presses on the CV joint then whack the LCA to unseat the ball joint from the knuckle. If the nut isn't spinning too hard you can usually get a small pair of vice grips below the knuckle to hold the ball joint from spinning, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I like the sawzall idea.