Giving away a free 1998 Jetta (no engine) in Los Angeles

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I'm posting this here first (before I put it on Craiglist), because I figured you guys would appreciate this more than the salvage guys that stalk southern california. I have a 1998 Jetta, title in hand, formerly a TDI, but I pulled the engine, trans, ECU, and some instrument stuff. Also, I took the clutch, linkage, engine harness, steering rack, pretty much everything TDI-related, but I left the body and interior is pretty clean. It's got no rust, the previous owner took good care of it. It's mainly collecting dust in my driveway and I want it gone. Trying to part out the doors, windows, fenders, interior parts, headliner, etc is just a waste of my time.

As for the body and undercarriage, like I wrote, it's rust free. It's a shame to see it get junked, so I'm hoping someone would be interested in it. Most of the panels are good. There is the occasional door ding or scratch, but for a 23-year-old car, it's nice. The front and rear bumper covers have the typical cracked paint that comes from 20 years of parallel parking. At most, it's mainly superficial damage.

I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow after I wash the dust off and clean up the area. The interior is dark grey/black seats and door/dash panels. The exterior paint is white. If someone shows up with a flatbed, I wouldn't hesitate to help them load it up. It's just taking up space.

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Here are some pictures of the exterior, underside, and interior.

I tried to embed the images to this post but it says i have to contact the administrator to fix this. Maybe i can't upload images with a phone.

If you are interested in this free car, message me soon. Im going to put it up on craigslist for the jackals if no one wants it here.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Man a rust free MK3. Those are almost extinct here. I know of a MK3 TDI that needs a new shell right down the road here. Unfortunately your car is on the other side of the US...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah it's unfortunate to let that carcass go since it's rust free, and comes with a title, but that's a long trip I wouldn't be excited about making.

If it was a roller with a rack holding the wheels in position a person might be able to get a transport to pick it up, but with rack gone that's a no go.

Steve

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
yeah, it's kind of a long shot to put this out there, but I had to give the car a chance. I figured free would motivate some guy out in the desert to come pick it up, but I'm seeing fewer and fewer of those ol' timers nowadays.