Give me your recommendations for road trip locations.

Katches

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
I gotta say, I just drove from Colorado to North Carolina, with a stop planned in Nebraska, and made a point to drive out to the Pawnee Buttes Trailhead in NE Colorado. It was such a vast, beautiful, quiet place. Highly recommend if there's time... and a good place to park and camp! Coordinates for where I went was 40.810237, -103.997027

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
We are planning an Upper Peninsula Trip the 1st half of July this year. We are planning on driving the whole way around lake Michigan. We also want to see lake Superior. JModge mentioned Hessel with the boat building school so that would put us on lake Huron too.

Its a 2 week trip. I still need to map it out but i might drive up West lake Michigan through WI first and go to Duluth MN to see the north shore then make our way across the U.P. then down the east coast of lake Michigan down to Holland then head home. Are there any must see's that we should plan for?

We don't drink so I'm not interested in beer places. but I'm all for food, overlooks, old technology reenactments, historical sites.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
We are planning an Upper Peninsula Trip the 1st half of July this year. We are planning on driving the whole way around lake Michigan. We also want to see lake Superior. JModge mentioned Hessel with the boat building school so that would put us on lake Huron too.

Its a 2 week trip. I still need to map it out but i might drive up West lake Michigan through WI first and go to Duluth MN to see the north shore then make our way across the U.P. then down the east coast of lake Michigan down to Holland then head home. Are there any must see's that we should plan for?

We don't drink so I'm not interested in beer places. but I'm all for food, overlooks, old technology reenactments, historical sites.
Harley Davidson museum is fantastic even if your not into motorcycles. Very happy with that stop.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

Are you going through Chicago, then clockwise around Michigan? Pulling a camper or finding housing? Lots of choices of paths to take. Kewenaw penisula is really cool, then along the Superior coast is a gorgeous trip. Donna and I have done a lot of dispersed camping and rustic campgrounds. We’ve hit a lot of the larger State Parks as well. Best swimming is on the Lake Michigan coast, but I know of some sandy and one warm spot on the Superior side. If you’re camping I can point you to several spots. Two weeks sounds like a hectic trip, two months would be better

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
There also are two ferries that cross Lake Michigan if you want to skip driving through Chicago

Reactions: Ton

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Mongler98
I will add it to my maps list. I found the Milwaukee Public Market right near the H-D museum. History and City Markets are our favorite things to see.

jmodge
Got your PM.

We are just finding housing or cabins. We wont be staying in 1 place for too long. right now the plan is clockwise around lake Michigan up to Manitowoc to the Maritime Museum, then shoot over to Duluth MN for Lake Superior. If there are must see's on the Kewanee Pen, we will add to our trip. I have a light house marked on the Kewanee.

Im hoping we can see the boat building school. it looks cool.

I also want to go to a Piggly Wiggly :ROFLMAO: saw it on maps in one of the towns. I've only heard about it in a Jeff Foxworthy joke.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mongler98
I will add it to my maps list. I found the Milwaukee Public Market right near the H-D museum. History and City Markets are our favorite things to see.

jmodge
Got your PM.

We are just finding housing or cabins. We wont be staying in 1 place for too long. right now the plan is clockwise around lake Michigan up to Manitowoc to the Maritime Museum, then shoot over to Duluth MN for Lake Superior. If there are must see's on the Kewanee Pen, we will add to our trip. I have a light house marked on the Kewanee.

Im hoping we can see the boat building school. it looks cool.

I also want to go to a Piggly Wiggly :ROFLMAO: saw it on maps in one of the towns. I've only heard about it in a Jeff Foxworthy joke.
Boat building school requires an appointment

RoboRoad

TDI
A6 3.0 V6
Barbers Museum in Birmingham, AL - since you're already in Chattanooga anyway, that's not far anymore. Very unique collection of motorcycles and race cars.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I would take Rt. 11 through Virginia. There's a really cool store that sells Camel milk and Goat's milk. Located right along Rt. 11 in New Market. They have an insane variety of Virginia made hot sauces. Also a decent variety of cheese. They don't have much alcohol that I know of. Alcohol has sticky regulations here in Virginia. It's called Jon Henry General Store.

TrashtruckTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Was out on Penobscot peninsula Me in September downs to Castine and all around. Lots of fresh ribbon it was a blast but probably not so much when it's ice cold.

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
So I'm actually two 5-year olds in a trenchcoat and I've always wanted to do a road trip from Poo Poo Point (Washington) to Pee Pee Island (Newfoundland) 🤡💩