Getting to the Golf hatch lock

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
Somethings wrong with the trunk lock on my 2002 Golf. Can anyone tell me how to get the interior plastic trim panel off the hatch?

I heard that there are (6?) clips running vertically down the sides of the trim panel. Does that sound right? How do I "unclicp" them? Do I slide something flat under the panel and lever it up away from the trunk? Or is it better to pull the edge of the panel away from the centerline of the car?

Anyone do this before?

jmur

Veteran Member
The panel pulls off with some difficulty. It sounds horrible as those clips scrape on their way out. The lower and upper plastic trim pieces are interlocked together near the window. Be carefull unlocking them. I greased the clips slightly before reinstalling the trim and it popped back in without bad noises.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Don't forget about the two screws in the hand grip areas.

GECKO 5

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Auto, Dark Blue
Here's a question... Is this doable with the hatch locked without the ability to open it? IE, can you remove the panels with the hatch closed?

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know how to get the panel out of a locked Gold hatch, but I just called Valenti VW in Mytic, CT, and they say they can. Charge is an hours labor, plus any new latch parts. 1 hour is their minimum charge, so it could take a lot less time.

I'm going in next week to have mine fixed, so I'll ask.

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Got back from VW dealer, and I need a new hatch lock cylinder: 1 hour Diag + $160 for part, + 2 hour installation = $415 total. Decided to pay for the diag, and try to clean the cylinder that's in there, first. Wish me luck. Meanwhile, the service manager explained how to get the panel out with the hatch locked:

- take out the two screws from the inside plastic handles (I couldn't feel them with my hands, but sure enough, they were there.) You can see the screw hole in the handle of the second photo.
- lift the panel up by the handles, then pry one of the lower corners of the panel away from the door. From the scratches in the hatch, it looks like they used something about 3/4" wide, slipped between the panel and the hatch. There are a total of 10 clips: 4 along the top, 4 along the bottom, and two towards the bottom on either side.
- be careful disconnecting the lower panel from the top panel. The third photo contains a closeup. Looks like you push a tab away, but also be careful not to break it off.

Don't know if I got the instructions right, but here are photos of the panel:

GECKO 5

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Auto, Dark Blue
PoGo,

Thank you kindly for the details... My great ole dad will be pleased :) After a few years of going around with the hatch locked, refusing to pay for someone to address this, perhaps now he might be able to do it ourselves!

Cheers,