Getting settled into the new place

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
So we have been slowly getting settled into the new place and work is busy, but going well. My apologies to everyone since I seem to be doing things in slow motion, but that should be ending since we're finally moved in.

One of the things I needed to do was figure out what made the trip and what didn't in terms of VW stuff, so much was left back in Maine. I *finally* was able to sort through and find what I brought, which was last minute, so I honestly had no idea. I haven't been driving the wagon much because the swaybar end links are completely shot and I didn't want to ruin the tires. Come to find out, I have 2 sets of endlinks so I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Along that note, I decided while I was looking for stuff, I needed to figure out what I had. I just tossed it all in a tote and really had no idea. Well, this is just 1 of 4 totes with stuff in it.

I really shouldn't have bought so much stuff, but when you're working on B4's all the time it comes in handy. Now that I'm not, I really don't need as much, just enough to keep my B4V alive for the future. The list is literally hundreds of lines long.

By the way, does anyone in the rust belt need some B4 sedan fuel tank straps in stainless steel? I have a set I'd let go (I actually have 2 sets, but one is promised for TDIDaveNH already). They were on my brother's B4 sedan when he totaled it and I couldn't see letting them get crushed since we'd just put them on. They were not cheap to make and fit perfectly. They will not fit on a wagon since they're different lengths.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
It's hard to believe you've been out there almost a year already. I hope you haven't had anymore house "surprises".....

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
AZ! Big change! What brought you out there? Lemme guess too many Massholes moving to Maine? :p Hope you're doing well Mark.
-Chris
We’re doing well, but to say it’s a big change is an understatement.
The Massholes are amateurs to the people out here. I never thought I’d say that but it’s true. The level of insanity is off the charts in many ways.

We were downsizing the house and got to thinking, why stay in Maine? The weather is crappy most of the year, everything rusts, repairs are difficult and numerous on the house and cars, the bugs are horrible when it’s above freezing, and the regulations are just stifling. We looked at a map. Of the country and ticked off areas in which we wouldn’t fit well, then distilled the list to places that ranked highest, visiting each over a 5 year period (yes, it’d been in the works that long). We finally decided on the Prescott area of Arizona for several reasons:
  • the weather
  • it’s an outdoors state, so there is a lot to do and see. We’re outdoors people and enjoy adventures.
  • little humidity and mostly sun.
  • the Prescott area isn’t as hot as Phoenix and gets less snow than Flagstaff. It’s warmer than Maine by quite a bit but with no humidity it’s manageable. An hour in either direction and I can be playing in the snow or walking around in shorts.
  • it’s still a ‘free state’ without some of the BS regulations of other states (no vehicle inspections, ATV’s allowed on the roads, camp where you like, etc)
  • the job market is booming
  • the views are incredible
It has some drawbacks, but they’re not too bad.
  • There are more drugs here. I don’t do them but work in a place that does testing.
  • The locals are very friendly, the ones who move here from away are less so, many escaping California. We saw it in Maine, with people from Mass to DC coming to the state to enjoy the way of life and then trying to change it to what they left.
  • The spiders and scorpions. Where we live there are much less but they’re out in the 2-3 months of summer.
  • The people driving here make Massholes look like saints behind the wheel, no joke. Even the cops are horrible.
  • Jobs everywhere but no one has any skills and the pay doesn’t support getting housing, which is crazy. We’re lucky to have found a house.
  • most contractors have no idea what they are doing, but they don‘t mind billing you handsomely for the shoddy work they do. I am SO glad I can work on my own cars.
We’re still settling in even though we’ve been here for almost a year (10.5 months). It’s so different it doesn’t feel like home yet, just a place we’re visiting. We kept the camp in Maine so we’ll be back there when we can. I’ll be making a trip east to get my motorcycle in July if anyone needs rust free parts, but the trailer is just a small utility trailer.

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Very interesting evaluation & comparison- thanks for sharing. I'm curious where else you considered, and what your thoughts are on the extent to which the impression made during a short visit coincides with a longer stay?

Glad the move has gone well so far!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm glad the wagon made it to AZ. The climate is sure to hold off the rust gremlins more effectively. How many miles now?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
man.... ****ty contractors are everywhere :( you seriously can't trust anyone to do a proper job without watching them like a hawk, especially with all the work always being handed off to subs. i'm soooo glad i've learned how to DIY *nearly everything* as far as that goes. dealing with some mistakes that were done on a pretty substantial remodel my dad had done at his house a few years ago. good contractors too, but a crappy "hot roof" spray foam insulation job has created some major problems.... a lot of attic ceiling sheetrock has to come down in order to fix the condensation problem (which was done horribly anyways).

i love the southwest... been wanting to take a road trip out there again for years. but the years keep slipping away.. really hoping for this spring.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Very interesting evaluation & comparison- thanks for sharing. I'm curious where else you considered, and what your thoughts are on the extent to which the impression made during a short visit coincides with a longer stay?

Glad the move has gone well so far!
We considered Asheville, NC; the Florida Keys, Utah, Nevada, and Texas. Each was discounted for various reasons. Some were too hot, others too much humidity, some too much snow or local climate, and the Keys due to housing prices and cost of living. We liked the Prescott area due to having all 4 seasons with mild winters and mild(er) summers. There is a lot to do here but the winter biking sucks and it’s difficult to ride on the roads due to the insane and immature drivers. Hiking is a big plus, as is mountain biking and being able to have such varied climates in an hour either direction. The people are friendly enough but the rapid influx is changing the landscape at an unsustainable rate.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'm glad the wagon made it to AZ. The climate is sure to hold off the rust gremlins more effectively. How many miles now?
It didn’t skip a beat driving across the country and absolutely shined on the highway due to 6th gear.

I’m hoping the rust can finally be addressed and stay that way. I’ll be working on it here and there but it’s nice not to have to have the pressure of getting it done. It has about 362k on it (just over 582k km). I have enough spare parts to keep it going for a long time, which I’m glad about since some are rare now. I get some looks driving it but there are lots of older cars out here. There is only other B4 TDI in the area I’ve seen, but the owner is sort of ‘unbalanced’, so I haven’t introduced myself. It looks like it’s been neglected though.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
man.... ****ty contractors are everywhere :( you seriously can't trust anyone to do a proper job without watching them like a hawk, especially with all the work always being handed off to subs. i'm soooo glad i've learned how to DIY *nearly everything* as far as that goes. dealing with some mistakes that were done on a pretty substantial remodel my dad had done at his house a few years ago. good contractors too, but a crappy "hot roof" spray foam insulation job has created some major problems.... a lot of attic ceiling sheetrock has to come down in order to fix the condensation problem (which was done horribly anyways).

i love the southwest... been wanting to take a road trip out there again for years. but the years keep slipping away.. really hoping for this spring.
I’m sure they are, but I haven’t met, or heard of, a whole lot that are worth the money. I’ll have to use some at some point, but like you, I’m glad I can do a lot by myself. If you need a destination out west, feel free, we have room.