Getting rid of the underhood cover and engine cover?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Underhood cover was trash and falling onto the engine so I got rid of it. I don't care if the hood fades.

I still have the engine over itself.

I am a bit worried about thermal efficiency and getting the best MPG. Yes I know I have an auto but still.

Would removing either of these items cause an MPG drop?

I like simplicity but not if it hurts fuel economy.

Thanks!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Removing the underhood cover will result in a definite lessening of rodent invasion. They love that cover material - particularly the fiber mat under the black outer layer. They think it is the best thing ever for nesting material. Particularly if one has been sitting for a few months over the winter, you are likely to find a large wad of that stuff around and on top of the cabin air filter. That seems to be their favorite nesting spot.

Hopefully that isn't as bad a problem for you, but up here it is a definite factor.

I doubt any change in thermal efficiency will be had in a statistically significant and measurable way.

The engine cover is supposed to help with noise. I haven't found the loss of mine to make any difference. And after a few years, the urethane foam that they originally came with degrades into grey dust and just makes a mess all over everything under the hood anyway, so by now your '02 won't have any foam to absorb sound, heat, or anything else. So losing the cover is really an aesthetic choice.

I removed the engine cover a long time ago. It was always in the way if I ever popped to hood to see if there is anything I need to worry about, and certainly cost extra time if I was going to do any maintenance work, so it was easier to just leave it off. I am sure I have one or two around here someplace. I'll just toss them sometime soon. Need to get rid of extra junk since I'm moving.

There are other items that can be changed to increase fuel efficiency. It seems to me, however, that the best one is the reduction of excessive turbocharger boost. You'll need to search for that one, but a tune is the best way to correct that. That should get you started.

Cheers,

PH

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There are other items that can be changed to increase fuel efficiency. It seems to me, however, that the best one is the reduction of excessive turbocharger boost.
PH
This is a good suggestion, but I'd say the biggest dent in your fuel economy, by far, is your automatic transmission. Everything else kinda pales in comparison...and tiny little gains due to heat effeciency etc are a rounding error. :)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
every new customer is strongly encouraged to ditch the worthless engine cover. (i've thrown away dozens) Neither has any effect on FE. Your thermostat and right foot takes care of that.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
... I'd say the biggest dent in your fuel economy, by far, is your automatic transmission. ...
True, that. But sometimes you are stuck with the slushbox. My wife's NB is an auto. I've talked with her a few times and you could more easily talk her into cutting off her fingers and toes than giving up her automatic transaxle.

With proper maintenance, I don't think the 01M is the sinkhole everyone seems to believe, but an efficiency cost of 20% is excessive. Alas, there is nothing I can do about my situation. Still, the efficiency of the TDI engine helps make up for it.

Cheers,

PH

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You bet, and to be clear the "your" in my post was referring back to the OP, who's approaching the engine cover from a fuel economy perspective. I could have made that clearer.

There are certainly a ton of good reasons to hang onto the slushbox... it just starts the hunt for fuel economy tweaks on the wrong foot right off the bat. :)

Last edited:

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
You bet, and to be clear the "your" in my post was referring back to the OP, who's approaching the engine cover from a fuel economy perspective. I could have made that clearer.

There are certainly a ton of good reasons to hang onto the slushbox... it just starts the hunt for fuel economy tweaks on the wrong foot right off the bat. :)
I don't know about 20%. I can get 47mpg on mine on back country roads with about 5% stop and go included.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I ditched the cover but was reading about the dipstick tube not lasting as long. This is why I came back to this thread.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I replaced my dipstick tube after I broke it swinging in my engine... Gee... Almost 2 years ago? Hard to believe it's been that long. No engine cover since then and mines doing just fine. I got a OEM from IDparts.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Got rid of all the fur and no engine cover on mine. No issues. Potential for stress on the tube, should not be a problem.