Getting ready to redo brakes on 2012 TDI Exec Advice?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I have a Brake Ware light and it has been a while since the brakes were done by the PO (dealer done).
I assume that the dealer (Jim Ellis - Atlanta) changed the rotors and pads as this is the more expensive way to do it.
I bought the car used (VW recall) with 94,000 miles and the Carfax said the brakes were done at 74,000 miles.
I have bought the rotors and pads and fluid for a flush from ID Parts and have had then in their boxes until the pads were worn a little bit more that when we first got the warnings.
My question after this long prolog is the rear parking brake and the settings or the not setting.
I read that the ID of the parking brake is close to the original size as there is little breaking accomplished by the parking brake.
So the idea is that if you remove the rotors with the brakes released you can just swap the rotors and the settings will be good.
Is this correct?
I don't know what the ID is or the ! OD of the shoes. I have a 6" dial calipers if that would be large enough to measure, if anyone knows the size of these brake parts.
Thanks for any advice available.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I would suggest you reset air gap as per VCDS procedure if you're replacing the rotors.
Others have skipped this step, but I wouldn't personally. There's not much "slop" in the settings from side to side. But that's just me.
There's also a "grind-in" process to be followed if you really want to ensure that you ebrake holds.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe air gap only has a 0.5mm tolerance, and the side to side difference is only 0.2mm so I'd check those at the very least as I can imagine lots of butcher shops wouldn't bother when replacing them.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!
Do you happen to know the acceptable gap when replacing the rotors?
I understand that it should be within some limit for the auto parking brake to work properly.
Of course I can measure the id of the drum and then the shoes when the rotor is removed.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you happen to know the acceptable gap when replacing the rotors?
I understand that it should be within some limit for the auto parking brake to work properly.
Post #3 above..... unless I'm not understanding what you're asking.
edit
*never mind.... I see I didn't provide the values in that post so just knowing the tolerance didn't tell the whole story.... see below for additional info*

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reference. I may be lucky as I am not changing the shoes, just the pads and rotors. I will make sure that I get the necessary values for the grinding in process etc. just in case.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Grid is to "mate" the shoe surface to the drum surface in order to ensure proper surface contact and sufficient friction.
Air gap is separate and needs to be adjusted with the adjuster wheel through the hole in the disk surface if out of spec. This is required in order to not "over extend" the EBC motors.

jesseday2

TDI
2013 Touareg tdi lux

The run in part is interesting. I drove around the back of a shopping center burning them in. This is necessary when changing rotors.

I bought these rotors and pads in a kit from Amazon. Power Stop K6724 Front and Rear Z23 Carbon Fiber Brake Pads with Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors Kit. After a year they are performing very well.