Getting Frustrated With Junk Interior

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Turbo SR engine is what that car was really born to have anyways, not the KA truck engine. Nice job on the swap! :)

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Turbo SR engine is what that car was really born to have anyways, not the KA truck engine. Nice job on the swap! :)
Thanks! My friends and I spent alot of time and money on that car! That was before I got married and had a baby! Not much time for stuff like that anymore! It started life with a SOHC KA24E, with an auto (yuck!) The SR20DET was quite an upgrade, it is an amazing engine! Dropping in a manual SR20det was pretty easy as far a swaps go, everything bolted up to the stock mounts. The wiring harness had to be lengthened in a few spots, but that was really the worst part! The auto even had a bracket welded in for the clutch pedal! You gotta love how compatible Nissan parts are, even with different generations!

Sadly I no longer have room to store the 240, or the time to drive it, so I will be selling it :( Now that I have the golf though, I have something fun to drive again, so it won't be too bad! I will miss the fun of driving a light weight turbo RWD car though, but you can't have everything.

She will be missed.....

oilhammer

TDI
Oh man, I'd find a place to keep that thing! Even if it were just a Sunday driver, it'd be worth it! :eek:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I do have it sitting outside at my dads, but after sitting outside for a few months in Oregon's winter, moss is growing everywhere. There was mold in the once pristine engine bay, and moisture in the cabin, and mold crystallizing on the inside headliner......I hate seeing it in that state, and can't get over there enough to keep that kind of thing from happening, and it will only get worse. Plus I can only use my dads place during the winter while his RV is in storage. I wish I had a 3 car garage! I am not parking the Golf outside either in order to keep the 240 in the garage.

Finding free, or almost free covered storage for it would be the only way I could keep it....

The 240 may look close to stock, but it was heavily modified, and not just the engine! It is quite a sleeper!

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
i'm about ready to start making some noise at VW. mine's a lease, so i can't just casually trade it in, but i'm sick of bringing this car into the dealer for some stupid issue or another. now my sunroof is rattling like crazy when open and my TPMS light went on. tire pressure is fine, but the thing won't reset.

i'd consider the golf, but it's still a common rail tdi, which means i'm still waiting for VW to decide if they want to support their customers or not if their fuel pump grenades. this is looking like my last vw, at this rate. my 96 passat had more reliability at 120k miles than this POS.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Getting out of a lease is no more difficult than getting out of a loan these days. If it's with VW Credit you just get a payoff amount. I did it when I sold my '06 after 15 months.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
No, my TDIless friend, I am NOT kidding. :cool: And I never said my TDI was 'stock'. :)
That's a silly comment then as its like me comparing my highly modified turbo 1.8L Honda to their stock SI package:rolleyes: Dollar for Dollar on modifications i would still take the Pepsi challenge on the GTI over the TDI.

oilhammer

TDI
That's a silly comment then as its like me comparing my highly modified turbo 1.8L Honda to their stock SI package:rolleyes: Dollar for Dollar on modifications i would still take the Pepsi challenge on the GTI over the TDI.
I don't drink Pepsi. And you don't own a Volkswagen. :p

CNDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
I don't understand why people are complaining about the interior it actually resembleles my 98 jetta. just got my 2012 jetta today and absolutely love it.

Locnar

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT
I don't understand why people are complaining about the interior it actually resembleles my 98 jetta. just got my 2012 jetta today and absolutely love it.
I'm not sure either. Seems to me this should have been something picked up as soon as you set foot in the car...certainly after a test drive. Anyway - maybe if all the rattling that posters have been mentioning starts happening to me, I'll change my opinion.

I'm still in the honeymoon period. ;)

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I'm not sure either. Seems to me this should have been something picked up as soon as you set foot in the car...certainly after a test drive. Anyway - maybe if all the rattling that posters have been mentioning starts happening to me, I'll change my opinion.

I'm still in the honeymoon period. ;)
I hear ya guys.
The thing is....is that the odd creek or squeek here and there is fine. After driving the Jetta for a week, I got into a $5,000 KIA and realized that the KIA is so much quieter than the Jetta and then the Jetta's price tags pops into your brain and you go "wow! why am I hearing all of this". Thats all. Haha.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
^^ really because i car pool with a buddy who has a 08 rio and every time i get out of it im MORE then thankful i drive a jetta....WAY quiter, sleeker, faster, more comfortable, better on fuel...oh and did i mention nicer lol....and way more room inside......my mom drives a brand new hyundai and ive drove it and the seats are crap and just again makes me glad i drive vws.

now they paid less but after driving them and being in them both just assures myself ill stay vw

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I hear ya guys.
The thing is....is that the odd creek or squeek here and there is fine. After driving the Jetta for a week, I got into a $5,000 KIA and realized that the KIA is so much quieter than the Jetta and then the Jetta's price tags pops into your brain and you go "wow! why am I hearing all of this". Thats all. Haha.

What is a $5,000 KIA?

Bill

Locnar

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT
sorry guys.....all I can say is GOLF.

Having owned a 95 Golf back in the day, I would agree and wish I could have gone back to one. With the family situation, I just found the Jetta to be a more practical choice. 10 years from now? Who knows!

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
Ok I have developed a new rattle. Since yesterday. Sounds like it is in the dash to the left of the steering column. Seems rpm specific. Below 2000 rpm. Went away on interstate. Road surface can aggravate but can replicate at a dead stop by revving the engine. Sounds like an aggravated hoarse dying cricket in its death throes. Really obnoxious and intolerable. I'm hesitant to let the dealer rip into dash even if they agreed. Anyone else think this sounds familiar? I officially stand corrected. If this is not fixed or doesn't resolve itself I will officially regard this car as a piece of sh#%.

JettersTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Does anyone suffer from a stuck AC button? It's kind of annoying. I guess I've been lucky to only have one rattle in my interior. lol

richfunk

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I don't really know how to take this thread. I know in the end you fixed your problem by purchasing a golf. I for one have put right around 25,000 miles on my 2011 Jetta DSG TDi and have only heard one rattle. I did however get a hesitation in my DSG and a sputter due to fuel filter cleanliness/DSG flash. I took it to the stealership and had them fix it and everything was good from there. I will admit that I don't ride around listening for noises or rattles. I just follow what this site taught me when I got on here..... Drive more worry less, I just do it with the radio on :cool:. I believe I will hold on to mine. I do however hate the fact that I didn't get an manual :( . Maybe the day your Jetta was assembled they had a fiesta the night prior. :eek:

- Rich

By the way congrats on your new golf.

Locnar

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT
Go JSW then ;)
I like the look of the sedan, plus I 'needed' a manual and sunroof...that's how I roll :D ...and found exactly what I 'needed' in the Jetta I ended up with.

I did look at the JSW though. It was outside my budget, especially for one with the features I wanted. Who knows - maybe I'll get one to replace our fuel hog of a minivan as the main family car in a few years.

A two TDI household? That sounds good to me! Two car payments? Not as good!

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok I have developed a new rattle. Since yesterday. Sounds like it is in the dash to the left of the steering column. Seems rpm specific. Below 2000 rpm. Went away on interstate. Road surface can aggravate but can replicate at a dead stop by revving the engine. Sounds like an aggravated hoarse dying cricket in its death throes. Really obnoxious and intolerable. I'm hesitant to let the dealer rip into dash even if they agreed. Anyone else think this sounds familiar? I officially stand corrected. If this is not fixed or doesn't resolve itself I will officially regard this car as a piece of sh#%.
I get that too. Only on cooler/colder mornings in the first few minutues of driving (especially at higher rpms).
Drives me nuts. It almost has a "metalic" sound to it too...like metal on glass or something.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I finally found a fix for all of my annoying rattles and cheap interior issues....

I also found a solution to my whining and clunking DSG box.

NOW you are getting a serious CAR...not a cheaped out, poorly tested and sorted out transportation...thing.

HDNERI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I guess I must have gotten lucky.... no rattles and the interior seems to be alright at 14k

HercNav

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
FVWVWF and Grevious. See the Rattle/Fix Thread. I have a buzz in the trim around the instrument cluster. When it happens I push where the lower left selector button is and it stops. It's the button and rod that passes through the trim and a second button and rod in the instrument gauges housing. I stuffed some felt around both and the buzz went away for a week, but I think some of the felt moved as the noise came back a bit. I'm going to do a more thorough job securing the felt.

JasonFH

TDI
2012 Jetta 6spd man
I'm at about 3800 miles on my Jetta TDI 6sp man Premium with Nav. I'm enjoying it, it's spacious and with the leather seats and "simple" instrument cluster and nice smooth ride I keep telling myself that it's "refined". I commute daily over an hour each way and it's nice to relax in. Don't get me wrong in this post, I really do like it.
But the rattles are about to drive me nuts. I tapped on the trim by the head light switch and am surprised it didn't fall out.
The MFD in the Passat and the Golf have so much more readily available information.
Not having a temp gauge makes me a bit nervous that I can't tell if it's warmed up or that I won't know it's over-heating until damage is already done.
I bought the TDI, specifically with the manual, with the intent to drive this thing for a LONG time. I can get by without the nice instrument cluster, but the interior worries me that this is going to fall apart much sooner than it should.
I test drove the Golf, the seats aren't as comfortable, but it handles so much better than the Jetta. The only thing holding me back from trading my Jetta Nav & Sunroof in for a Golf with Tech is the leather seats. With 2 kids under 3 I'm hesitant to get cloth.

Last edited:

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
FVWVWF and Grevious. See the Rattle/Fix Thread. I have a buzz in the trim around the instrument cluster. When it happens I push where the lower left selector button is and it stops. It's the button and rod that passes through the trim and a second button and rod in the instrument gauges housing. I stuffed some felt around both and the buzz went away for a week, but I think some of the felt moved as the noise came back a bit. I'm going to do a more thorough job securing the felt.
Thanks HercNav.
I looked into that. My buzzzzing sound comes more from the middle right underneath the windshield. Sounds like by the firewall somehow. Hard to explain. I've been putting pressure and pressing on things all over the place with no luck. So my guess is that the only way to get to it is by removing the dashboard. Gonna have to live with this one for now.