German mfg vs Mexico mfg

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
So doing a four motion swap I could not help but notice the difference in quality of workman ship between the two. Mexico uses a mig type welder and they did not use it very much... And Germany used a brazing whick held very well and was in alot of places the welds were not in the Mexico car. The seam sealer the Germans used is great it gummed up and smoked like heck. Now the Mexico seam seal was like sawdust and was very hard unlike the gummy German stuff. The German stuff was gray in color and this garbage is yellow ish in color. The r 32 was the German car and the Jetta is from Mexico. Just like everything in like when you sub something out to someone else to do corners get cut and the product suffers. Both cars were from Ohio so not like one was southern but the Mexican car had rust forming under the seam seal which was not present on the R32 which the body was trashed on it and a pretty Mint Jetta had more hiding than you think. Thankfully alot of it get cut out anyhow. The German car had various spot weld that were 240 volt and120 volt German car had more weld than the Mexico car by far . This is just a rant but my goodness can we please get a consist quality of something!!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I am amazed that you can tell the voltage used to create spot welds. Just... Wow!

Various people have complained about various things from time to time, from design issues to build quality. VWAG is the only body that can correct these variances and/or design deficiencies, so may I suggest you direct this communication directly to them.

Please be forewarned however. Judging by the alacrity of the response to previous items such as this, you will grow very old and will still be awaiting a meaningful reply.

Cheers,

PH

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
The 240 is used on the heavier gauges plus they are slightly bigger and yes I figured nothing would be done about this just amazing the difference from country to country