German Court Hildesheim: VW cheat = horse-meat lasagna

Is VW right to punish the USA for catching them in diesel fraud?

• No. VW should not only pay back restitution (and with damages), but should keep selling TDIs in USA.

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Yes, they have the right to do whatever they please.

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
German Courts are furious over VW cheating its costumers. Three German judges said that the fraudulent diesel emision design was the same as selling lasagna with horse-meat instead of beef:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ompared-to-horse-meat-lasagna-by-german-court

You are not alone, Germans feel cheated too.

Now, should VW punish America for being caught red handed here, or should they be contrite and treat ALL diesel costumers right?

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Just an fyi. Horse meat is much better than beef. Less fat and more protein.

Carry on. :)

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
VW punish America? Be contrite? "Treat ALL diesel costumers [sic] right"? What on earth are you talking about? And what does it have to do with the article?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Never had horse meat lasagna before, but I'm willing to try anything once.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
"Now, should VW punish America for being caught red handed here, or should they be contrite and treat ALL diesel costumers right?"

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
good horsemeat tastes like the best grass fed beef you've had. Don't connect it to Mr. Ed or My Little Pony.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
video said VW may not sell diesel cars for years?

hmmmmmmmmm

If one takes the "fix" will their cars re-sell at a premium?

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
IANAL, but ...

This would be really interesting if German law was "common law" as the US/UK, because these cases found against them would be more direct ammo for future cases. As I understand it though German law isn't so each case will need be tried more separately on it's own merits.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If I were to vote in the limited poll, I guess I would choose option two. VWAG, as a legal entity, should only sell the products that will give them the best chance of making a profit. If that means that the US and Canada will no longer get diesels, then so be it.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
VW knew what the rules were going in. If they can't make a car to meet the standards, then I guess they shouldn't sell TDIs. Maybe GM has better technology! :-O

oregon_rider

TDI
NONE! :-)
Just checked my 2015 Golf TDI DSG on KBB

Full bore retail value was (APPROX) $1,900 more than I paid for it:)

However with NADA its' value was not so generous:(
There are very few sales of 2015 VW TDIs right now - which would make me doubt that there is enough "data" to make the kbb or nada values accurate.

In addition, they cannot suggest behavior and supply/demand after a very, very large "fixed" VWs begin to be 're-marketed' by VW.

My crystal ball would say that 6-12 months from now - when VW is able to resell the repurchased TDIs - there will also be GM and Mazda Diesels available for sale. Supply and choices for diesel vehicles will be high - prices for scandal tainted VW TDIs will be low(er).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Given the options between a new Mazda/GM diesel or a partially fixed VW, I would opt for the non-VW. We still don't know what phase 2 of the fix is going to do.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
There are very few sales of 2015 VW TDIs right now - which would make me doubt that there is enough "data" to make the kbb or nada values accurate.

In addition, they cannot suggest behavior and supply/demand after a very, very large "fixed" VWs begin to be 're-marketed' by VW.

Most likely you have the better argument.

I am mostly just hoping and wishing

But will (most likely) take the BB ~~ later

for 2 reasons.

The BB hopefully will be faster, and easier in the future

.... and I can see the results of the cars that have had the "fix" and the re-sale prices of those cars

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Anyone know where one can get horsemeat lasagna in Manhattan? This thread has gotten my culinary interests piqued.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Anyone know where one can get horsemeat lasagna in Manhattan? This thread has gotten my culinary interests piqued.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
From what I read on the internets...apparently horse meat is illegal in NY for human consumption and the last horse slaughter house in the US closed in 2007. You may have to travel to Montreal Canada for some.