German Automaker VW Tries To Rebound By Way Of...Tennessee!

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
http://autos.aol.com/article/vw-passat-chatanooga-tennessee/

There is a German wind swirling around, of all places, Chattanooga, Tenn., a town perhaps best known for railroads and, in keeping with that history, the Glenn Miller swing classic, "Chattanooga Choo Choo."

Try The Diesel

Powering the 2012 Passat is one of three engines-a 2.5 liter, five-cylinder engine producing 170 horsepower; a 3.6 liter V6 producing 280 hp; and a 2.0 liter TDI Clean diesel engine.

Despite the sub-$20,000 starting price, you can get still above $30,000 without too much trouble. The V6 SE packages, which include 18" wheels, navigation, leather seating, the Fender premium audio system, heated seats and few other amenities, will crest $30K.

The best values with the Passat? We think it's the SE with sunroof and navigation ($26,795), which gets you the smooth 2.5 liter engine, six-speed auto transmission, smartphone interface, heated seats, aluminum trim dash and leather-wrapped seats. The other good value is the TDI SE ($25,995), though that pricing does not provide sunroof and navigation. For that, you have to climb the ladder to $29,495. But the TDI engine, for the uninitiated, packs V6-like power and more than 40 mpg on the highway.

Bottom Line: The new 2012 Passat is a classy, very well-turned out car. By the time you spec it out the way you want it, though, it could still come at a price premium to a Camry or Fusion. Volkswagen's $1 billion investment in Tennessee to build vehicles for the U.S. is a smart and laudable investment. Like the 2011 Jetta, though, the Passat perhaps lacks some of the Volkswagen German engineering feel that has been a hallmark for enthusiasts and customers of the brand. Right now, we would say the driving dynamics are better than Camry, Accord and Fusion, but on par with Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I did a cost comparison on Edmunds. All US $. Fully loaded: Optima - $26000 Sonata - $28100 Fusion - $28800 Camry - $29800 Accord - $31800 Passat TDI SLE - $32200.

Kia and Toyota would only price 2011 models, so they may come up slightly with the new model year. Looks like a lot of cars to look at if you want to spend around $30K. I've not driven the newer Kia or Hyundai, but, from past expriences, I would tend to make them my last option. Last time I dorve an Accord, I thought it felt more like driving a crown vic without the V8. Just lumbered along and felt like a much bigger and unresponsive car than it really should. My opinion is that I will not buy another Toyota unless it's a diesel Tacoma.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
.......................Bottom Line: The new 2012 Passat is a classy, very well-turned out car. By the time you spec it out the way you want it, though, it could still come at a price premium to a Camry or Fusion........................
I did a cost comparison on Edmunds. All US $. Fully loaded: Optima - $26000 Sonata - $28100 Fusion - $28800 Camry - $29800 Accord - $31800 Passat TDI SLE - $32200.................
Seems the "bottom line" statement is "sort of" true. If one were to compare the TDI to the hybrids (comparable fuel economy) - one gets:

Fusion @ $33,490
Sonata @ $31,545
Camry @ $33,555

Even with goofy options like body molding I can get the Accord up to $35,788. PT Barnum knew the American market.

Given this the Passat TDI looks like a bargain. But the media has been touting this line of horse manure for years..............."the Passat starts @ $25K which is expensive when compared to the Camry (etc.)". Nary a mention of when comparably equipped.

The Jetta proves VW has learned how the "dumber than a bucket of hair" US market (& media) works. Give a low base price nobody buys = competitive.........................sales up 40%, average selling price up $2k.

The $19,995 price gets them on the floor - they try, they like, they buy the $25 - $30 model.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The $19,995 price gets them on the floor - they try, they like, they buy the $25 - $30 model.
This works because Americans buy nearly everything on credit. What's another $10,000 when it's not real money anyway?

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
I just put a downpayment on a loaded Optima for what its worth. Basically a Korean Audi without Quattro. 10yr/100k mile warranty too.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I know it is the habit of many here to dump on Hyundai and especially Kia, but they're turning out a quality product these days, demonstrably more reliable than our VWs (at least over the period most people own their cars).

I have to say that, if my Wagon disappeared tomorrow, trying to replace it would put the Hyundai Touring and the Kia Soul toward the very top of my short list and the current Jetta wagon toward the bottom. The Koreans seem to make a better VW than VW does these days.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
My brother bought a Kia Forte. The only problem he had with it was a seperated belt in the tire, which was promptly handled. Me, I have a book going with the problems I've had with my Jetta, and virtually every problem was met with an argument from the VW dealer.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Yea, but your friends don't see you driving around in a Kia Forte...

My brother bought a Kia Forte. The only problem he had with it was a seperated belt in the tire, which was promptly handled. Me, I have a book going with the problems I've had with my Jetta, and virtually every problem was met with an argument from the VW dealer.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Yea, but your friends don't see you driving around in a Kia Forte...
Well, I have to admit that the VWs do look zoomy as they go by, on the back of a flatbed truck. ;)

ddurandd

TDI
Former owner of 2009 Jetta TDI - Blue Graphite Metallic w/ Factory Navigation
I traded my '09 Jetta TDI in for a new KIA Optima about a month ago. I do miss the mpg of the Jetta and a few other things, but other than that, I am very pleased with the Kia.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't know why they didn't include the Sonata and Optima Hybrids in the comparisons. They are the most cutting edge right now. Pricing is about the same as the new Passat.

But you get so many more in features in the Sonata, and especially with the Optima.
$26k gets you into the party. But, at $32k for the full packages, your ROI vs MPG gets to be pretty long. Early Sonata hybrid testing had people getting 50-60 mpg hyw. RUG being @ 50 cents cheaper than D2, and the wheels in your head start turning.

Guess you have to decide if you'd like a German car that is now somewhat watered down for the American market, or a South Korean car that was designed by VW/Audi's former design guru ( speaking of the Optima), and is built for the World market.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Don't know why they didn't include the Sonata and Optima Hybrids in the comparisons. They are the most cutting edge right now. Pricing is about the same as the new Passat.

But you get so many more in features in the Sonata, and especially with the Optima.
$26k gets you into the party. But, at $32k for the full packages, your ROI vs MPG gets to be pretty long. Early Sonata hybrid testing had people getting 50-60 mpg hyw. RUG being @ 50 cents cheaper than D2, and the wheels in your head start turning.

Guess you have to decide if you'd like a German car that is now somewhat watered down for the American market, or a South Korean car that was designed by VW/Audi's former design guru ( speaking of the Optima), and is built for the World market.
If you don't care anything about the driving experience then Hyundai is probably a good consideration.

I have driven a Sonata Turbo and the ride is choppy over anything less than a smooth road. Steering feedback is nonexistent. The Sonata Hybrid in particular made MotorTrends 10 worst
handling list.
http://wot.motortrend.com/10-worst-handling-cars-tested-2010-20318.html

Last edited:

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Right now, we would say the driving dynamics are better than Camry, Accord and Fusion, but on par with Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima.
On a par with the TDI Sonata and Optima? - oh wait, neither Hyundai or Kia sells a TDI in the US. For that matter neither does Toyota or Honda. So what is the comparison? Especially on a TDI site.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
The Optima suspension and steering is more of what we are used to. It is tuned to be more of a driver's car than the Sonata. The SX is crisper than the EX. I've test driven them. Not as 'precise' as our VW's, but not too bad for a fist attempt. With the proper OEM tires and a slightly better aftermarket suspension and or tweaked steering software, they would have a winner. I suspect the 2012 version will be upgraded. Their gas GDI engines are best is class for MPG and real world numbers are pushing high 30's. They have diesels in other parts of the world, but created a best in class hybrid that they intend to use here. At least they still have rear disk brakes and independent rear suspension. They are here to stay and everyone should take notice. They are kicking butt when everyone is in a slump.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about the Passat, and IMO, VW should make a world car that would appeal more to the core VW enthusiast, sell it here, and price it accordingly. Instead of this Americanized stuff they are trying to push on us. That is the main reason I've explored other options.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
take off the blinders

On a par with the TDI Sonata and Optima? - oh wait, neither Hyundai or Kia sells a TDI in the US. For that matter neither does Toyota or Honda. So what is the comparison? Especially on a TDI site.
The article compared the Passat to it's intended competition. It's a logical comparison and I don't know what you expect the author to compare the Passat TDI to?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I have yet to find any good info on how the new Passat handles, lateral acceleration, slalom speeds, ect. So far only seat of the pants evaluations from the handful of test drive reports. Suppose the mags are embargoed for now on this data?

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
For a car about to hit the showrooms in two months, that just bothers me.
But we know that is has a J.C. Whitney-ish remote start feature. LOL.