Gen 1 TDI will not meet air quality standards even after a fix

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...wont-meet-u-s-air-standards-even-after-recall

I wonder if this means that VW isn't going to offer a fix for the gen 1 or if the fix that they offer only is a partial fix for the NOx emission requirement. This assumes the EPA/CARB would even accept a partial fix.

(In the grand scheme of things, this would still make the TDI pretty 'clean' car, despite its tarnished image.)

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
It's been pointed out by a lot of members, that the NOx emission levels have been relaxed for the TDI's. The question is if the fix for the GEN 1 cars will even get it to that level.

The fixes applied to the European 2.0L engines by VW seem to be less than successful and now maybe make the issue worse. Since the European standards are lower than the US, and VW can not make their magic work there, the outlook for a fix for the GEN 1 cars is not to hopeful.

My biggest worry, is they start cutting on our cars to retrofit a solution. After a long talk with my VW service manager (who also owns a TDI), if that was the path VW went down with the GEN 1's, he is taking the buyback.

Too many people are throwing out their theories and ideas on how it could be fixed, but if VW truly believed that an LNT/DPF solution was viable, why did they switch? That alone should tell you all you need to know, about what it will probably take to fix our GEN 1 cars.

Tri0de

TDI
2015 Beetle
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...wont-meet-u-s-air-standards-even-after-recall

Thanks for the link.

I have a 2015 (3rd generation) and am *REALLY* hoping to keep it

I wonder if this means that VW isn't going to offer a fix for the gen 1 or if the fix that they offer only is a partial fix for the NOx emission requirement. This assumes the EPA/CARB would even accept a partial fix.

(In the grand scheme of things, this would still make the TDI pretty 'clean' car, despite its tarnished image.)
For the 2-liter cars, the first fix for so-called third-generation vehicles will come first, to be proposed by VW as soon as July 29 and approved by October 14. For second generation vehicles, VW’s deadline for a proposal is December 16, with a target date for approval of March 3. For the hardest-to-fix first generation vehicles, VW’s proposal is due Nov. 11, with the final approval expected by Jan. 27

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My first gen CR will remain "unfixed". In fact, it will probably have its DPF fall off accidentally at some point in the very near future. I am just trying to wait it out a bit and see if/what they try and do with them first. It already has a cracked DPF anyways. I was seriously considering the delete pipe when I did the turbo, but decided to see what happens.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Could we just have a chart, excel style is fine, where this is broken down by model year, generation of engine, date the proposed fix is to come, then most current news?

I'm not a CR owner but in friends with plenty of people who are.