Gen 1 fix approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I got an email from my sales agent at the VW dealership stating that in addition to the settlement approval, the Gen 1 fix has been approved! Gen 2 & 3 are still in the doldrums.

Has anybody else received the same information?

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I got an email from my sales agent at the VW dealership stating that in addition to the settlement approval, the Gen 1 fix has been approved! Gen 2 & 3 are still in the doldrums.
Has anybody else received the same information?
Maybe, but sounds like a euphoric Cubs fan. You might want to subject him to a breathalyzer. If a fix has been approved, and for the most unlikely Gen. the internet would be popping. I can't find a peep.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I can't find anything on this either and suspect it's just a come-on by the "sales agent" who is promoting it.......

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Yes, they reprogrammed the crusher to work more efficiently.

11JSWTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta SW 6MT(sold)
I can't find anything on this either and suspect it's just a come-on by the "sales agent" who is promoting it.......
Likely this.

If the schedule in the Exhibit 3 doc released with the proposed settlement is still accurate (I have not checked to see if this was updated with the approved settlement), VW's expected submittal date and final submittal deadline for each Gen are:

Gen 3 (initial mod) - 29 Jul 2016/14 Oct 2016
Gen 1 - 16 Nov 2016/27 Jan 2017
Gen 2 - 16 Dec 2016/03 Mar 2017
Gen 3 (2nd mod) - 15 Aug 2017/30 Oct 2017

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
And then EPA and CARB have 45 days to review and rule on the plan. If VW gets the Gen 1 plan in on time, the EPA/CARB deadline would be New Years. There might be a real reason for partying then or more likely just another chance to cry in one's beer.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
And then EPA and CARB have 45 days to review and rule on the plan. If VW gets the Gen 1 plan in on time, the EPA/CARB deadline would be New Years. There might be a real reason for partying then or more likely just another chance to cry in one's beer.
Maybe wrong but I thought that VW had submitted a fix to the EPA for Gen 3 phase 1 back in the July or Aug. Wouldn't that put the EPA past due on the 45 day approval?

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe wrong but I thought that VW had submitted a fix to the EPA for Gen 3 phase 1 back in the July or Aug. Wouldn't that put the EPA past due on the 45 day approval?
Yes, but this thread is about a Gen 1 fix. Don't know what EPA is doing now.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
It's real and it is happening.
If the Gen 1 fix has not been approved by the EPA and CARB (which is what this thread claims, and is not true), then no, it isn't "real". Yes, they're due to submit a proposed fix on (or by) 11/16. That isn't news; that was part of the 6/28 proposed settlement. The link you gave provides no new information.

Last edited:

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
DanB36 is right, that information was mentioned in another thread. And as pointed out, VW would probably be pushing to fix the new GEN cars as their fixes would be relatively easier to design, test and implement.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm not sure why VW would probably be pushing to fix the new GEN cars first, regardless of whether those fixes are easier to design and implement, when the settlement order says that Gen 1 goes first.

I think they're probably pushing to meet the deadlines in the settlement order.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
remember it is based on an agreement.

one could guess that the conversation may have started with, "ok, you cheated, what can you do to fix the cars?" or perhaps, "ok, we cheated, but here is what we can do to make it better..."

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The logic was probably to try to develop a fix the Gen 1 cars first as there are more Gen 1 than Gen 2 or 3 cars. Never mind the fact that a fix for the Gen 1 cars would be the most complex and difficult.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
I'm not sure why VW would probably be pushing to fix the new GEN cars first, regardless of whether those fixes are easier to design and implement, when the settlement order says that Gen 1 goes first.

I think they're probably pushing to meet the deadlines in the settlement order.
If you have follow the fix history. GEN 3 phase 1 fix is pretty much decided. The deadlines in the agreement are milestones, not hard delivery dates. I think and most of our knowledgeable members would concur, that the 11/11 date is just a update, not a deliverable date. From VW's point, if they can get an approved fix for GEN2/3 and get most of the GEN 1 off the road (buyback), they will meet their target sooner. The bonus is not have to support a bunch of older cars for several more years, with all of the unknowns that encompasses.

Keir@malonetuning.com

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
none
the Gen1s will be the hardest to fix, but they are also the 'dirtiest' and there are more of them out there, so in the EPA/CARB minds it makes more sense to get those done ASAP ( hence not having to actually comply, just get it close )

If you read that article it also says they have until January 2017 to propose a fix, THEN the EPA has 45 days to determine if they want to agree or not.

So.. not likely to be seeing anything about it this year.

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
There will most likely not be a fix for Gen 1. The scheduled fix will come and go, and you will then have the choice of letting VW buyback the VW or just walk away with nothing but the vehicle.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
There will most likely not be a fix for Gen 1. The scheduled fix will come and go, and you will then have the choice of letting VW buyback the VW or just walk away with nothing but the vehicle.
Agreed. It doesn't make any sense monetarily, nor from a customer satisfaction point of view (assuming any kind of performance degrade as a result of the "fix")

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
*Sigh* The Gen-1 fix is to a relaxed standard, and is already in test . . . Please, folks, try to keep up . . .

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
*Sigh* The Gen-1 fix is to a relaxed standard, and is already in test . . . Please, folks, try to keep up . . .

This^
And it does make sense to fix the Gen-1 to a relaxed standard, because if this is really about the environment, it's more environmentally friendly to keep the cars on the road instead of sending them to the crusher and manufacturing/shipping/selling a brand new car. VW negotiated ways to offset any negative environmental impact, such as updating emissions equipment on school buses. They should plant fields of trees, too.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
This^
And it does make sense to fix the Gen-1 to a relaxed standard, because if this is really about the environment, it's more environmentally friendly to keep the cars on the road instead of sending them to the crusher and manufacturing/shipping/selling a brand new car. VW negotiated ways to offset any negative environmental impact, such as updating emissions equipment on school buses. They should plant fields of trees, too.
This is ironic, they reduced CO2, negating the need to plant trees, but make more NOx, in doing what they did.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
IMO Gen 1 will be surprisingly easy to fix. Already the usa-market cars have several additional controls in place that are unique to the usa market. There are dormant provisions in those ecus that will likely be activated and perhaps one or two hardware changes. Recalibrate the "test mode" and negotiate an exception for certain WOT conditions. Not really too much brain damage. It could easily be done in software only but CARB may insist on physical "stuff" because it gives a warm fuzzy and "that's the way you do it"

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
IMO Gen 1 will be surprisingly easy to fix. Already the usa-market cars have several additional controls in place that are unique to the usa market. There are dormant provisions in those ecus that will likely be activated and perhaps one or two hardware changes. Recalibrate the "test mode" and negotiate an exception for certain WOT conditions. Not really too much brain damage. It could easily be done in software only but CARB may insist on physical "stuff" because it gives a warm fuzzy and "that's the way you do it"
It is my understanding that the hardware is there, but if it is turned on all the time for normal driving, there are durability issues created.

Status
Not open for further replies.