GEN 1 2.0CR CJAA post-emissions recall – anyone tracking increased wear?

kzit

TDI
`13 JSW TDI SEL 6MT
Google searches for “MK6 TDI UOA engine wear” or “MK6 2.0 CR TDI oil analysis increased engine wear” did not return anything that appeared relevant. I don’t frequent the forum much, usually more a resource for service or research – if there are relevant threads, please point me to them. At any rate…

…any 2.0CR TDI owners, post-emissions-fix, seeing high iron, chrome, aluminum, and/or copper from UOAs?

I’ve enjoyed my `13 JSW TDI 6MT for over 2 years now. It was purchased in MAY2018 w/ 57k miles – 3 months after its emissions recall was applied -- now at 80k. I have performed all service myself w/ online ordering of parts save for an early DPF and EGR filter replacement under warranty.

The torque and response improvement from a VWR replacement foam air filter was surprising, and I’d like to apply a Malone Stage 1 tune at some point. I’m hesitant w/ the wear I’m seeing from the UOAs (a co-worker has a ~2014 Passat TDI – yes, different engine – that was emissions-fixed then required a new long block from VW when the engine failed w/in 10k). Engine runs strong w/ no poor manners to indicate a mechanical problem.

Records indicate use of VW Castrol 507.00 engine oil prior to my ownership. I switched to Motul 8100 X-Clean 5W30, also a 507.00 oil at 66k since I can’t leave anything alone. Above-mentioned DPF, EGR filter replacements were in AUG2019 at 72k – seems like these were already on their way out before the switch to Motul.

Engine is stock w/ only the VWR air filter in the stock airbox added at 76k. My miles are typically 50/50 city/highway as a daily. Otherwise reliable w/ regular oil and fuel filter changes and PowerService fuel additive.

Attached are Universal Oil Analyses (UOAs) at 66k and 78k. W/o any other input, planning to wait until 1 more UOA to see if engine wear is trending in a better direction before moving forward w/ an ECU tune.

13 JSW TDI-181221_web
13 JSW TDI-200708-1_web

kzit

TDI
`13 JSW TDI SEL 6MT
You say you've been watching UOAs since new....how consistent were wear metals consistent before the emissions fix?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I’m quoting myself to answer your questions. We have a thread for UOAs in the fuels and lubricants sub-forum

These engines shed iron. I had a magnetic drain plug in my CBEA 2009 jetta and it was COVERED in Ferrous metal at each oil change. Gritty chunks it was gnarly. Never seen anything like it in a healthy car that ran great until I sold it back for buyback in 2018. I used LM top tech 4200 religously w/ a can of LM 2009 every 7-8K however now I take a different approach.

I believe the iron is from the regen cycle as it washes the oil off of the cylinder walls. That is my theory anyway. If you see a UOA of a deleted 2.0 TDI the iron wear is very low, like 1/10 of what you see here.

Blackstone does not accurately measure FD or soot, one of their major shortcomings. Order Oil Analyzer kits from Amsoil, they have all the basic data points you want to see which are missing from this report.

Get a neodium magnet drain plug. Dimple, Gold Plug or Powerslutracing.com. You need to sequester that iron and hold it to keep it from causing more wear as it circulates.

Use a thicker oil. I suggest 10w30 or even 5w40. This would be a non VW507 oil, CJ-4 or CK-4 with a higher HTHS to prevent the oil film from washing off and excessive wear. In a healthy engine that doesn't burn oil, the additional ash from using CJ-4 doesn't have a significant impact on DPF longevity.

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Good point, however the metalnerd magnetic drain plug on my CBEA was installed early and always had metal on it until it was sold back to VW with 130k miles. There was always high iron in my UOAs even at my first oil sample at 30k miles. Never pulled the oil pan to look nor had any related symptoms of early BSM failure.

Frank06 has also noted 2.0 CR TDIs with scored or smooth cylinders early in life. He is also an advocate for thicker oil in these cars.

Using main injection for DPF regeneration in the 2009-2014 TDIs is a primitive strategy for supplying fuel. It was common on most early DPF equipped diesel vehicles however most OEMs moved away from it because it is less effective and causes excessive cylinder wear than using a dedicated injector. It isn’t a theory or speculation. The Ford 6.4 powerstroke would lose compression in the same cylinders used for regeneration, the cylinders would be scored and damaged from fuel washing the oil off. Most of these trucks had major engine failure by 150k miles or less.

What makes it worse, is that VW increased the regeneration frequency in the “fixed” software. My CJAA regens every 180 miles whether it needs it or not. More Regen cycles = more cylinder wear.

The only negative consequence of using CJ/CK 5w40 is 0.1 mpg loss of fuel economy. If you prefer to have more cylinder wear, then continue to use the 507 stuff.

I agree that this should be under fuels and lubricants but not under UOAs, it too diluted with VEs and PDs sample results to make any real picture of CR sample results.
Maybe MODs can make a sticky for Post emissions oil sample results for CR engines.

As for your speculative answer on your recommendation for using thicker, NON VW507 oils in a CJAA that doesn't use a balance shaft module which is a known wear and failure point on CBEA, let's not start talking about oils. The oil isn't the issue.

kzit

TDI
`13 JSW TDI SEL 6MT
Appreciate the information on oils, tips on oil analysis, and effects of the emissions fix (regen frequency). I follow the logic on thicker non-507 oil; I'll keep that in mind for after the next UOA.

Sounds like I should expect increased engine wear such as this post-fix. This makes an ECU tune seem more logical and beneficial to the longevity of the engine.

And you both have more time in this community -- if there's a better place for this thread, or an opportunity to collect post-fix UOAs, let's move it.