Gearshift revamp - MY2000+?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
There seems to be another "running change" on the A4-Jetta gearshift linkage.

Back in late 1998 early 1999 whn the A4 Jetta appeared there were many reports of the rattelling gear leaver in 3rd (mostly). VW released a TSB against this bug and some tinkering was done. My first A4TDI had this problem (minor, compared to its other ailments). My second (60,000 cars later) had a slightly redesigned shifter arrangement on top of the transmission case - the counterweight (for added mass to the throw) for instance was quite different.

I went to the Toronto autoshow today and had a very quick peek under the hood at a TDI there and saw that this whole area is very much redesigned: not only is the "weight" much bigger, but the shifter cables are very different. They appear as if they may have adjustable lengths via knurled knobs. The mechanical arrangement around the selector shaft (comes vertically up out of the gearbox) is larger and possibly more robust. Time did not permit any further more involved investigation, nor did I think to write down the VIN number.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Jimmy:

Thanks for the update. Glad to see VW's TSB as a first step in doing something about the vibration problem. Keep up the good work!

babybenz

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if I'm on the "same page" here,,, but I've noticed over the last couple days that my NB TDI in 2nd or third will give this "chatter" sound,,,,it's NOT the engine,,, (I've owned diesels since '85)
if I depress the clutch it will go away,,,,, and resume upon release. I've just over 2,600 mi. on it. It's not constant,,,, and does seem to get better with warm up,,, however,,, last eve' it did it again at about 20mph in 2nd gear... Big pieve of mine,,,, sounds where/when there shouldn't be. Any ideas suggestions? Sound like a trip back to VW dealer for an adequate dose of BS?

p.s. could this 'just' be a needed clutch adjustment after this short period of initial breaking in?

Dan.
Mickey, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

------------------
jdanaz@aol.com

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Karl, looks like you have the newer style.

On the Earlier cars (A3), they used a system where the weight was bolted onto the arm that controls fore/aft movement as well as the left/right motions of the shifter. For us A3 owners, a short-shift kit was either an expensive proposition or a very inexpensive proposition, depending on how you persued doing it (either you bought a Neuspeed SSK for $300 or you did like me and modified a linkage on top of the tranny for $11). On the newer cars, you have to either extensively modify that part in Karl's picture or you have to break down and buy Neuspeed's SSK for $200.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Karl: Looks as if you have the new shifter assembly. Next time I am in for service I will peek at a showroom car.

Babybenz: The typical shifter rattle (on the TDI) was in third gear. At one particular speed the stick would actually shake from side to side. I do not think there is any "adjustment for the cluch as it is hydraulic - no cable.

[This message has been edited by Jimmy (edited February 28, 2000).]

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Its kind of late in the day to bring this topic up again but a buddy of mine at work has a MY2000 A4 Jetta TDI GLS. I had a peek under the hood and at his shifter stick under the boot.

It seems its not just the shifter cables that were changed. The stick and its mount assembly are completely different from my 1999 A4 TDi Jetta. His stick sits in a plastic ball-joint affair, whereas mine is mostly flat steel plates. This will be significant to you out there wishing to do a stick mod (either personally or a mod kit). His stick is definately not as loose feeling as mine was, and feels more precise.

I also noticed another running change: The lower engine cover is very different. My 99 has a flat absorbant puffy bag affair. His 2K has raised pebbles on the lower cover, reminiscent of an anechoic chamber wall.

The stainless sill to the trunk has tiny black "pebbles" where the upper trunk rubber bumpers meet it when closed.