Gear ratio spreadsheet?

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I'm looking for a longitudinal transaxle gear ratio sheet. I thought I saw one a few years back here, but I'm struggling to find it now. I keep pulling up the 02J sheet lol. If possible, I'd like to see gas ratios as well and not just the diesel ones. I'm in the research stages for a swap and I'm trying to see what boxes may be closest to what I'm looking for. It's not going to be going into a passat or other road vehicle.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
O2J is a transverse transmission iirc. The b5 and b5.5 were longitudinal transmissions. You'll have better/quicker responses most likely moving this to the TDI swap section.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
O2J is a transverse transmission iirc. The b5 and b5.5 were longitudinal transmissions. You'll have better/quicker responses most likely moving this to the TDI swap section.
I know, I'm looking for the longitudinal info but I had only been able to find the transverse ratio sheets. It probably didn't help that I didn't know the correct gearbox codes for what I wad looking for to help narrow my search lol. Looks like Caffeine got me covered though!

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
Cool, thank you! That covers the 6 speed boxes for me. Would you happen to know the 5 speed gearbox codes so I can use that to search those out as well.
012 for FWD, 01A for AWD 5-speed, there's also 01E 6-speeds (pre-dates the 02X, used for both FWD and AWD boxes), and 0A3 6-speeds (used on more powerful engines than the 02X).

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
012 for FWD, 01A for AWD 5-speed, there's also 01E 6-speeds (pre-dates the 02X, used for both FWD and AWD boxes), and 0A3 6-speeds (used on more powerful engines than the 02X).
Thanks again, big help. Found a couple 012 options with the gearing that I’m looking for. Ideally, I’d like for a similar spread, rev range, and drive feel to the EUH in my Jetta. I had to do some math on it since the tires on the back end of my buggy are 33x12.5x15, so a good deal larger than the 25 inch factory tires lol. I used Interco tire’s final drive calculator and to match the current 3.38 in the EUH, I’d need a 4.45 final drive with the 33s. I found codes CCG, CHH, CGU, DCN, DWG, and DHE with 4.56 final gears, and boxes CGS and CMS with 4.88s. My (hopefully) last questions: does anyone know of a breakdown by market/model for these boxes? All of the B5 Passat boxes I’ve found listed online so far have been code EZG which is a 3.7 final and a bit long for what I want to do. Any good online shops to order decent used boxes from by code?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The ezg is from the 1.8t b5/b5.5 if I'm not mistaken. It likey has different codes for a very similar transmissions depending on year.

The biggest difference you'll run into on these are the cv axle flanges as the pre 2001.5 1.8t (b5) used a smaller flange pattern than the later. All year model b5 and b5.5 v6/diesels used the large flange pattern not found in the 1.8t until post 2001.5

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Large flange would probably be ideal. Do you know if the flanges are interchangeable? I know for my cayenne, I can swap the large diameter v10 TDI axle flanges into the axles as a direct bolt on. I’ll have to keep digging to see if I can find whether those boxes even ever came to the states. In the lists I’ve found so far, only two boxes had specific market notes. One was for France and another was for Italy, there wasn’t much else. Some other lists called out engine size from 1.6 up to 3.2, but that one didn’t have any location data lol.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I couldn't answer that one perhaps @oilhammer can.

The v6 sourced dvz is barely geared high enough for those happy with max 75 mph sustained speeds so not a lot of those 4 cyl gasser transmissions have been discussed on this forum.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Do you mean something like this?:

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Do you mean something like this?:
That looks like a comparison chart for selecting an add on 6th for transverse transaxles correct? I was looking for a gear ratio breakdown by longitudinal trans codes. Caffeine got me the info I needed to be able to select a few codes that would work for my application. I just need to find what markets those trans codes were in, as I haven't found them in any of the junkyards near me yet lol. That's still some good info to have if I ever feel froggy about swapping a 6mt into this buggy down the line. Thanks!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I don't have a tidy list of transmission codes and their gear ratios for 6-speed longitudinal trannies. Maybe someone should compile one.

I use a more tedious but nevertheless helpful resource:

There are many 6-speed AWD 01E tranny codes and their ratios in the above page, but you'll have to search out pages of other years and models within that site to find more codes (especially if you're interested in FWD only), as well as codes for the newer transmission families like 02X, 0A3, etc.: