Gauge Cluster goes dead

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
When I unlock the car and open the door, the backlight illuminates with the mileage and time, as per usual. Go to start the car, fires up normal, cluster works for 5 seconds and then it's like all power is lost to the cluster, no tach, clock, backlight...everything is out. Shut the car off, and it turns back on again, showing the clock and mileage again so it only shuts off when running. Everything else works fine. Any ideas? Car is still under warranty.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I would suspect a bad cluster internally but the first thing to check is fuses. The cluster has two power sources, 15 and 30, and a ground of course. The rest of the wires are signal and sensor and Can communication.
30 power is 12V constant non switched battery power, fuse 3 in the left side dash panel, 10 A (red)
15 power is switched 12V power, fuse 14 in the same panel, also 10A. This is the circuit I think that is dropping out.
Fuse 13, 20A, feeds fuse 14, but it also feeds a lot of other stuff you you would notice more stuff gone.
Under warranty I would do no more than check fuses. Even if there is just a blown fuse I would be concerned what blew it. You might want to have a dealer visit to log the problem while still under warranty in case it fails at a later date.

Last edited:

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Took it to the dealer, they diagnosed it as a bad gauge cluster, they're shipping one in from Deutschland, they need to reprogram both of the keys too. They gave us a 2017 Golf as a loaner, everything is covered under warranty, and we're happy! So thankful this happened 5,000 kilometers before warranty is up!