(GASSER) FS: 2003 VW Jetta 1.8t Stg3+, Recaro, Sportec, Euro/OEM+

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 1.8t, 2003, Platinum Gray
Hi folks, hope nobody minds a Gasser Forsale Ad. Perhaps some is interested or knows of someone who is. Also want to extend a thanks for the "Upgrades" forum, where I learned quite a bit in performing many things that were done to the car.
Special thanks to Lito for lots of general help, David_594 for Climatronic help, and thanks to SVTWEB who was the first to do many of these mods and provided the inspiration for my own car.
Alas, the time has come to part ways with my dear Jetta turned Bora.
The journey with my Jetta has been an enjoyable one, and one that I shall miss. But, like all good stories, this one must come to an end.
For those that wonder why I'm selling, it's simply because I wanted a new car. I long for new car smell, and care free driving backed by a warranty. That's not to say that I have had a lot of trouble with the Jetta. It has been a very robust vehicle in the years that I've owned it, and never had any major warranty issue to speak of.
As best as possible, I'll list the prices paid or approximations there of.
First, the basics:
  • 2003 VW Jetta 1.8t [$22,000]
  • 5 Speed Manual
  • Sport Package
  • Luxury Package
  • Platinum Gray with Black Leather Interior
  • Long Beach Rims (currently my winter rims, wrapped in Blizzak WS60's)
Now the extensive list of modifications:
  • OEM VW Sharan Antenna [$30]
  • OEM VW European Headlight Switch [$50]
  • OEM VW Navigation System (version G) [$800]
  • OEM VW HID Xenon Headlights (2002.5+) [$1000]
  • OEM VW HID Xenon Headlight Protectors [$85]
  • OEM VW Aspherical Heated Mirrors
  • OEM VW Sunglasses Holder [$30]
  • OEM VW W8 Domelight [$100]
  • OEM VW Aero Wiper [$100]
  • OEM VW 2003.5 Jetta Center Console [$200]
  • OEM VW TMC Tuner [$300]
  • OEM VW FIS Instrument Cluster [$600]
  • **OEM VW HID Xenon Autoleveling [$250]
  • OEM VW Headlight Washing System [$400]
  • OEM VW Bora Black Textured Rubstrips [$300]
  • OEM VW Bora Decklid [$600 painted]
  • OEM VW Passat Sunvisors w/ Homelink [$100]
  • OEM VW Parktronic [$300]
  • OEM VW Climatronic Digital Climate Control [$500]
  • OEM VW German First Aid Kit [$30]
  • OEM VW German Owners Manual [$30]
  • Rieger Backlit Shift Knob [$85]
  • Phatnoise MP3 Player [$425]
  • Comfort Blinker [$60]
  • Reflashed CCM with OEM software for window control by remote
  • Koni Yellow Adjustable Struts / Shocks [$525]
  • Ground Control Coilover Sleeves w/ Eibach Springs (350f/325r) [$425]
  • H2Sport Spindles [$660]
  • Hella MicroDE fog Lamps [$200]
  • Dieselgeek Skid Plate [$300]
  • OEM VW 4motion Front Valence [$100]
  • 3pmdev Navigation System Accessory [$1600]
  • Sportec Mono 10 18x8.5 in Chromsilver, wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE-050A 225/40/18 (2mm/5mm spacer f/r) [$2700]
  • **Recaro Black Leather Heated Front Seats and Rear Bench [$3200]
  • Eibach 22mm Front Sway Bar [$100]
  • Neuspeed 28mm Rear Sway Bar [$235]
  • APR Stage3+ [$5500 installed]
  • APR 3" Turbo Back Exhaust [$700]
  • APR R1 Diverter Valve [$100]
  • Forge FMIC [$1000]
  • Southhhend OFE Cryotreated Stage 3+ Clutch + G60 Flywheel [$600]
  • ECS Tuning Lightweight Crank Pulley [$175]
  • **OEM VW Autodimming / Rain Sensing Mirror [$300]
  • **OEM VW DSP Amplifier + Harness [$400]
  • OEM European Alarm Siren [$125]
  • **OEM European Interior Motion Sensor [$200]
  • OEM VW Aluminum Pedal and Dead Pedal Covers [$150]
  • OEM VW Brushed Aluminum Door Pulls [$80]
  • OEM VW Mk4 Jetta Rear Hat Rack with Sunshade [$150]
  • OEM VW 3/2/G Brake Conversion w/ Hawk HPS pads and Tyrolsport stiffening Kit [$800]
  • **OEM VW Phone Button Assembly for Multifunction Steering wheel [$100]
  • **OEM VW Ski Rack [$200]
If my math is correct, I have literally $27,000 additional into this car, excluding my time installing lots of the stuff myself.
Some Pics, and then more details in the next post:

Last edited:

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
The Caveats:
  • ** OEM VW HID Xenon Autoleveling: The linkage for the front attitude sensor has broken due to clearance with the Eibach Front Sway Bar. The 4-motion version of the linkage should solve the problem and can be sourced in the US for ~ $100.
  • ** OEM VW Autodimming / Rain Sensing Mirror: The Autodimming is connected, however I did not connect the reverse signal, or the rain sensor wires. I do have the proper relay for the rainsensing mirror, and the wires with proper terminals are there to be connected.
  • ** OEM VW Recaro Black Leather Heated Front Seats and Rear Bench: These are in near perfect condition. However, I never built the adaptation harness for the seat heating. So, the plugs are there in the front seats, tucked behind the cushions. But the buyer would need to complete this for seat heating to function.
  • ** OEM VW DSP Amplifier + Harness: This was a project I had hoped to finish this summer, but my day job has taken up too much time. I had begun building the final Navigation Harness which integrated the DSP Harness, Bluetooth Kit Harness and TMC Harness. This will all come with the car.
  • ** OEM European Interior Motion Sensor: This is an ultrasonic sender and receiver that is integrated with the driver and passenger side rear reading lamps, respectively. Also includes an OEM cancellation switch at the bottom of the B Pillar on the driver's side. It turns out I installed the reading lamps on the wrong side, and I never got around to correcting this and finishing up the wiring as well as CCM modification to support the feature.
  • ** OEM VW Phone Button Assembly for Multifunction Steering wheel: This switch assembly is installed, but is not wired up. The intention was to build a CAN bus controller that would translate the button presses into discrete logic events to control a Sony HCB-30 Bluetooth kit.
  • The Battery is beginning to show it's age, however I will have it replaced prior to sale.
  • The 3pmdev is not without bugs. Sometimes it will prevent the FIS and Multifunction Steering Wheel from communicating properly with the Navigation system.
  • The Rear Sway Bar likes to squeak. I will lubricate it again prior to sale, but this seems to happen every few months. Perhaps I'll try using a different grease this time.
  • The OEM Longbeaches have seen better days. As they are my winter wheel, I haven't cared too much about them.
  • The rear door lock modules have been giving me some problems as of late. I have replacements which I'll install.
  • Since moving from Colorado back to Massachusetts, I've noticed the car has some rough starts when it's cold. I suspect it could be related to battery performance. Point in fact, it does start every time.
The Data:
I have never dyno'd this car, nor run it on the drag strip. I like having power available to me, but was never really motivated to have it tested. That said, I will have it dyno'd for a serious potential buyer, terms for that to be negotiated privately.
The 3pmdev reports that it has done as much as 309 HP on 91 Octane, but note this is uncorrected at an altitude of ~ 5400 feet in late summer and based solely on the data captured on the Powertrain Canbus. Additionally, the 3pmdev has reported 1.25g of lateral acceleration with only slight squeal from the tires. Also of note is that the tires (the RE-050A's on the 18x8.5 spaced wheels) show no signs of rubbing on the fenders under this load.
The Ride:
Really depends on the road. In Colorado, the car felt great on the roads which were of relatively good quality. In Massachusetts -- well, let's just say that I know where every bump is between my house and the office. It is bone-rattling stiff here.
Acceleration is excellent. The APR Stage3+ Turbo (GT28RS) is not in it's efficiency range until nearly 3K RPM, but once it's there, the devil is released. The wheels spin freely on WOT around 5K, and these are both heavy wheels with sticky tires.
Mileage and Maintenance:
As of Today, the car has ~ 72,500 miles on it.
The following mileages are approximates for installation:
55,010 - Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE-050A's mounted (only run in summer, approximately 10k miles on them -- similar mileage on the Winter tires)
60,509 - APR Stage 3+ Installed
62,500 - Brakes
66,000 - Timing Belt, Water Pump, Coolant, Oil
67,404 - Clutch, Flywheel, Throwout Bearing
Otherwise, VW suggested maintenances were performed at approximately their suggested times. Oil changes every 5k, +/- 500 miles or so.
Can probably furnish most service receipts, though it would be a task to find them all.
Condition:
The condition of the Car is excellent. There are some exterior scratches, and unfortunately, rock chips on the hood. Notwithstanding, the car is truly in excellent condition. Never an accident, save someone scraping my bumper -- which I had repainted, or a couple of golf ball dings, which were removed flawlessly via Paintless Dent Repair.
The interior is also in excellent condition, although I did wear a hole through the carpet where my heel rested on the carpet beneath the gas pedal. I have replaced the floor mats, and currently use the two old rear floor mats to protect the new driver's fitted floor mat from the same fate.
Motivation:
My motivation for this car was 1) to revert it entirely to European Specification. There are some departures from this goal where I felt it prudent, and there are a few things that were not done (Bora Tails, Stubby Passenger Mirror, etc). and 2) to build a Bora with the power and handling of a Bora-RS, if it had been produced.
I won't say this is the most "de-federalized" Jetta in North America, but I certainly think it ranks up there with people like BigMacF1 and SVTWEB.
It is one of perhaps a half dozen Mk4's in North America with a completed Climatronic swap, which is documented here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEVCcDwMj_o
It is one of maybe 3 or 4 Mk4's in North America with a full OEM Recaro interior.
It is the only Mk4 in North America that I am aware of with Sportec Mono 10's. (Though there are probably a couple others)
It is *definitely* the *only* vehicle in North America with the 3pmdev Multimedia Navigation accessory. See Here for product details: http://www.3pmdev.com See here for a brief video demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-Q5Uf41JU
Awards:
  • 2nd place, Dubs along the Rockies 2006
  • 2nd place, Dubs along the Rockies 2007
  • 2nd Place, European, Fall at Loveland 2007
  • 1st place, Mk4 Jetta Mod 2, Waterfest 2008 (86 points)
Extras:
I have *many* spare parts lying around for this vehicle, most of which will be included in the sale. Additionally, I will include a German VW Bora book, as well as the original German vehicle brochures.
Asking price:
Please consider the Significant Investment, and that this car represents $49,000 real dollars as well as several thousand of my time.
Also consider that an excellent condition Jetta GLS with this mileage shows a KBB value of $11,800 and than a Jetta GLX shows a KBB value of $14,500. (These KBB values are rounded a bit, and representative of where the car spent most of it's time, in Colorado -- low humidity, no salting of the roads)
Therefore, I am asking $28,000 for this exceptional vehicle. I will entertain serious offers from interested parties. I am not looking to trade this vehicle, and I'm not currently interested in parting it.
It is also my sincere hope that the buyer is a like minded individual that will continue modifying this car in a similar manner.
Showings available. A test drive is possible for a properly insured serious buyer. I am happy to have it inspected by a local garage of mutual choice, at the expense of a potential buyer.
I'm also willing to deliver specific request photos, though there may be some turn around time for these.
I am willing to deliver the vehicle within 400 miles of Cambridge, MA. Otherwise I am amenable to shipping the vehicle, though it will be up to the buyer to arrange shipping.
Payment terms to be arranged privately, but I will require a bank check or wire transfer.
I have the title in hand, all liens released.
I have the Car Fax available, PM me for a copy, or for the VIN should you wish to run it yourself.
I'm happy to answer any questions!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think for $28k, I too would long for the smell of a new car.

While your upgrades are nice, I am not sure they really add any real value to the car. Good luck on your sale though, looks like a very nice ride. :)

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I know it's a high asking price. I was only setting a point to start negotiation. :)

Appreciate the KBB offer on the car, but for that price I think I'd rather keep it as a winter beater. Should I part the big mods and sell off the APR stage 3+ kit, I'd consider it ;-)

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Looks like a very nice car (i.e. for a gasser ;) )and some really nice pictures. It is always nice to see top end items like leather recaros and OEM HIDs in the same package. Surprised you didn't opt for a 6 speed manual tranny and a sports cluster though. FWIW and IMHO, you should probably work out the bugs especially if your asking for top dollar (i.e. paint chips, heated seats no workie, broken tabs etc.). Good luck with your sale.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I saw 118 in Vegas this past July--gads that was hot!
Good luck with the sale!
-BB

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
It'd be a great donor car for a PD150 swap LOL. Seriously, keep the car unless you find the right buyer for it of course. I hope you do but doubt it. That's the hard part in investing outrageous amounts of cash in our VW's. Nobody will value it as much as you do. You definitely have the nicest Bora I've seen here. Congrats!

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
Oops, forgot to subscribe to this....
Looks like a very nice car (i.e. for a gasser )and some really nice pictures. It is always nice to see top end items like leather recaros and OEM HIDs in the same package. Surprised you didn't opt for a 6 speed manual tranny and a sports cluster though. FWIW and IMHO, you should probably work out the bugs especially if your asking for top dollar (i.e. paint chips, heated seats no workie, broken tabs etc.). Good luck with your sale.
Thanks so much, yeah, I'm definitely going to fix the headlight leveling prior to sale. As to the paint chips -- they weren't noticeable enough for me to have the hood resprayed, so I suspect the same would be true of a new owner.
As much as I don't want to pull the seats back out to finish the heater wiring, I would probably do it if a sale hinged on that being done -- though I'd be less likely to negotiate a price if I'm going to sacrifice more blood to the car ;-)
I had thought about doing the 6 speed swap, but if I did, I'd probably choose a built 6speed, which would be yet another $5k into the money pit :)
Early on in the life of the car, I wasn't into the aluminum look as much as now, hence the reason I chose a flat black cluster -- though I do have many more cluster faces laying around. Perhaps I'll swap some in.
when was it ever 122 degrees outside in boston?! I live in western MA and thats pretty dang hot for these parts
I saw 118 in Vegas this past July--gads that was hot!
Good luck with the sale!
Well, this car was bought in Boston in '03, but spent most of it's time in Denver. In fact, 122 was observed on the way from Las Vegas to Lancaster, CA for Dubwars a couple years ago.
It'd be a great donor car for a PD150 swap LOL. Seriously, keep the car unless you find the right buyer for it of course. I hope you do but doubt it. That's the hard part in investing outrageous amounts of cash in our VW's. Nobody will value it as much as you do. You definitely have the nicest Bora I've seen here. Congrats!
It's hard having once nice car, let alone two, in the metro Boston area. I want to garage both this and the new car, but alas, only one garage spot. :-(
I knew this was a money pit going into it, I guess I'm just trying to find that right price point. Perhaps it doesn't exist -- if you see me driving this car in One Lap of America or on the Gumball 3000, I guess it'll be obvious I didn't find that price point ;-)
Oh, and:
Asking price lowered to a more realistic.... $23,000!
I've also decided to consider cash + trade of an excellent condition 2000-2001 4dr 4wd Jeep Cherokee (XJ).