Gasser 6: the price is right!

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Went to Philadelphia Auto show last night. Gasser Mazda 6 priced from $20 to $29, and a sweet vehicle. Rumors of Skyactive diesel here by June or July, with Passat beating fuel economy...WooooooHooooooo!:eek:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Went to Philadelphia Auto show last night. Gasser Mazda 6 priced from $20 to $29, and a sweet vehicle. Rumors of Skyactive diesel here by June or July, with Passat beating fuel economy...WooooooHooooooo!:eek:
You'd better hold out for the diesel, Jack!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It does look nice. Here it is at the Detroit show.

I particularly like the interior, reminds me of the E-Class M-B.

I thought I might like one of these, but it seems I wanted a B4 more. Thanks, Jack!

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Jack, you NEED one of these! I sat in one in our local crappy auto show. Gasser, but, they said June-July for the diesel. And manual trans! Real spare, no run flats, I will wait to see how it works out for you first!

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jack is going to be our Guinea pig.
That's what I was thinking! He loves Mazda's and he has the ability to get one of these when they come out. Dr. Waterloo, (I am assuming you got that phd at Delaware) you are hereby appointed to be one of the first Mazda 6 diesel owners in north America, now make it happen!

Last edited:

Bopper

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta GLS Tornado Red
I have never considered a Mazda before, or even driven one for that matter. I went to a Mazda Dealer and saw a 6 in person yesterday, bigger than I expected, and very nice.
I test drove a CX-5 AWD Grand Touring (loaded) $31k, though acceleration was weak, it drove great and they are said to be getting 30-33 highway on Mazda forums using regular gas. I am guessing the 6 will do a little better. I believe they are both normally aspirated and use regular gas. I am also guessing that there will be at least a $1500 charge for the Diesel engine. If either of those cars make it here as a diesel, will the delta be great enough to justify owning one here in the states?

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
The rumor is that the diesel will be available as a higher trim package, so I suspect it will cost you more than $1500 over the base gas.

I've been cross shopping the ford fusion and the mazda 6... it's interesting that the ford requires you to get an upgraded packge to get the 1.6L eco motor. That means it's in the 25k range for a manual transmission. Add tax and all and it's a 27k car. The mazda 6 can be purchased base with MT, so it's a good 5k less, AND gets better fuel economy.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
So what you're saying is that Mazda's diesel packaging will be similar to VW's diesel packaging ... no stripper diesels. (cue crowd booing)

That makes sense - manufacturers make their money on the option packaging and use the package pricing to help offset the cost of the more expensive diesel engine.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
I think, at least for me, it will come down between the Cruise and the Mazda. Will have to see how they do the diesel and see some real world experiences before I bite. My 05.5 has plenty of life left in her, she's not quite dead yet!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The car did sit a shade lower than the Golf or Jetta. Fit and finish was really nice for a change compared to the de-contented VW selection.

Jack has room in the drive for another car you know..

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
It does look nice. Here it is at the Detroit show.

I particularly like the interior, reminds me of the E-Class M-B.

I thought I might like one of these, but it seems I wanted a B4 more. Thanks, Jack!
Is it my imagination, or is it vaguely reminiscent of a Volvo p1800?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It looks very good, especially from the front. :D

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Don't even show up!

This Friday's USA Today has a test of the "gasser" Mazda 6. At least in terms of fuel economy and handling, the message is (more or less) that the other cars in this segment might as well not even show up!:eek:

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I drove the Mazda6 gas (180hp) twice. The power and ride is nice.

The problem is that Mazda is pushing the automatic and punishing anyone who gets the manual transmission: While the MT is a bit cheaper, that option removes the dash touchscreen, bluetooth, and rear view backup camera which comes standard on all automatics.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Cool!

I drove the Mazda6 gas (180hp) twice. The power and ride is nice.

The problem is that Mazda is pushing the automatic and punishing anyone who gets the manual transmission: While the MT is a bit cheaper, that option removes the dash touchscreen, bluetooth, and rear view backup camera which comes standard on all automatics.
If that is what I lose, then that makes the manual MORE attractive!:eek:

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
The limited features and specifications, especially when combined with the manual, are among the more frustrating aspects of Mazda's strategy. I don't find a rearview camera necessary, but Bluetooth for compliance with hands-free calling is a nice touch. The caveat being, if the manufacturer implements it poorly such that the in-car microphone is overcome with background noise preventing meaningful conversation. That can be said for most of the "new" in-car tech in the last 10 years. Rush to market with poorly ergonomic and poorly functional systems. Anyway since hands-free is required in many states, I think if Bluetooth is available in a model then it should be standard across that model range.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
Today I went and drove a "sport" 6. Autotragic, but, a nice ride all things considered. They gave me $25 to take the test drive! Anyway, salesman told me no diesel till end of 13, like Dec 31 end. But, it will be 12, he said. That is what they are being told...

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
STEER CLEAR of the version 1.0 of this diesel. They have been on sale down under and have been experiencing problems with the oil being diluted, requiring very frequent oil changes or risk engine damage.

Mazda's solution? Redesign the dipstick. This does not address the problem of fuel getting into the oil.

Not a good start. Google "Mazda cx-5 diesel oil problems"

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
Little more to it than that, they have also reprogramed the cars to "hopefully" fix the problem. Although, I agree, not the first year of a new car...

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
No sir, YOU will be buying a Mazda 6 diesel. Who will tell us how it works if you do not buy one? Jack, you are all about the Mazda, as long as I have known you which goes back to 1981. I am very interested in getting one of these cars, but, it will be AFTER you do. Have you ordered yours yet?