GasPods

AeroHance

(Susanne) Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Currently drive 2004 Volvo 760XC - Test Driving Golf TDI
Any news on shipping rates to Canada?
Yes. Windex. The deal you asked is within pennies of our Test Team discount and rebate, so no problem. Your Fuelly data qualifies for baseline. I'll pm you a coupon. FYI, the actual price we pay for postage to you is $19.50. I'm not sure if you'll have additional charges levied by the Canadian government upon receipt. GasPods are made in USA, NAFTA qualified, and the price you are paying should be under threshold for much.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
We have a Sprinter as well but it isn't in any kind of fixed route. Also it has the A/C box on the top, rear of the van so it wouldn't be a good candidate.

We do have the minivans though they aren't on a fixed route either. Maybe that is where I would put the pods when they aren't on the Transit. Hmmm interesting thoughts. But that would require more work from the boss and I am trying to disrupt the operations here as little as possible.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Members of the firm conducting the CFD and their engineers are professionals, whose time is valuable. I will not ask them to field questions from or debate with you, hence they will not be disclosed. I've said this many times before, its my job to field questions such as yours. Not theirs.
I understand the value of time of the engineers and often use third parties for testing my product so that I can give my customers an unbiased opinion. I typically publish, with permission, the name of that third party company so that my customers can see through the smoke and mirrors. I am waiting for both diesel's and whitedog's data before passing judgement.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Just remember that I won't actually start testing until next Spring. I want the engine to get broken in, the weather to stabilize and the end of winterized fuel.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
That is what I was trying to say but didnt find the right words. You are focusing on the claims and not the product. My guess is that you can't argue about the product so you have to attack what you can.
I have to admit to being a little stumped here. I don't understand the distinction you're drawing. They're making claims about how the product is performing. Either it performs to those claims or it doesn't, and my issue is that they haven't shown it performing to those claims yet.

I will be doing my best to test these on our big wagon because honestly, I doubt the claims, but rather than sitting behind a computer and bashing her claims, I will be doing something. If they show improvement, great. If not, then I can say that they didn't work on our wagon in real world testing.
I applaud your experiment, you seem to be interested in gathering statistically significant data. I look forward to seeing the results of your experiment, which I would find more compelling than any of the data that AeroHance has so far provided.

That said, as the one making the claim it's incumbent upon AeroHance to back up their claims. That's what I have continually pressed for.

It is called "ad hominen," arguments which attack the character of the person or source. It is a fallacy and says little or nothing toward the validity of the claims.
If you can show where I have attacked you instead of focusing on the issue of the validity of your claims I will immediately apologize and then stop posting. I have been focusing on the issue of whether or not your claims are founded in reality. With all due respect, I find them very hard to believe. I'm trying to find any claim of gas pods working that does not originate with you, and so far I have not had much luck.

Who the individual drivers are is a matter of privacy. As a policy, we do not disclose who they are, and remove identifying matter from pictures provided, eg., cover or remove license plate numbers from pictures. Although Test Team Members can opt to be disclosed, nearly all participants have chosen to allow data to be shared, but ask to remain anonymous.
No one has suggested your test team members should be exposed to public scrutiny. However, there are firms that specialize in being disinterested 3rd parties who will collect data like and attest to its authenticity. As long as you are collecting this data yourself you expose yourself to the criticism I and others raise about it.

Skully, Mohawk69, your only attack, and it is an attack in tone and subject, is that what we write cannot be trusted because of who I am. Well, bias is disclosed, and readers are intelligent and can temper their opinion in light of that.
I apologize if you feel that I'm attacking you. That is not my intent. However, you are making claims we do not believe. We are asking for proof but you keep telling us, "trust us, this guy we know says it checks out." If I don't believe your claim in the first place, how am I supposed to trust someone whose word you are conveying, and whose identity you won't disclose?

If you publish the full and complete report from an independent 3rd party we can read that report and decide for ourselves. We'll have the name of the firm so we can look at the firm to see if it's reputable. We'll be able to look at what they say about your product and whether or not the claims are reproducible. We can do all of that without ever contacting that firm. Additionally, if someone were to contact that firm about your report it probably wouldn't go any farther than "yes, we wrote that report and stand behind it." That's a very far cry from the "endless questions" you're characterizing it as.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I have to admit to being a little stumped here. I don't understand the distinction you're drawing. They're making claims about how the product is performing.
You keep talking about the validity of tests, not the results of tests.

You keep talking about the companies and the people, not their results.

There is a difference. I'm sorry if you can't understand what I am trying to say.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I would say both results and testing methodology (validity) are equally important.

Results are meaningless if the methodology is biased or flawed.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh. Now they are talking about putting it on a different route. 520 miles a day every day and only coming in for service every 19 days. Oh well. I got the pods today and I will hang onto them until this thing is broke in and the weather stabilizes.

AeroHance

TDI
Whitedog - why don't give them a try on your own car(s) while you wait for break in on the big guys. - susanne

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
You keep talking about the validity of tests, not the results of tests.

You keep talking about the companies and the people, not their results.

There is a difference. I'm sorry if you can't understand what I am trying to say.
If the test is invalid the results are invalid too. I can turn data into any result I want. For example, I could use data about police movements and crime to show that police cause crime. If we could only talk about the results of my work and not my methodology there would be no way to talk about how I had gone wrong.

I am focusing the results, by talking about how those results were manifested. You simply can not separate the results from the methodology, and AeroHance's methodology is sloppy and incomplete. They're presenting unverifiable CFD images from an unnamed source as fact. They claim that unnamed NASA scientists have made remarks about the design. They claim to be in talks with unnamed manufacturers. The common theme here is that it's something that sounds impressive but can't be verified.

I have been focusing on the claims that Suzanne is making on AeroHance's behalf and have tried to avoid attacking Suzanne herself. From her posts here she seems like a very nice person with the patience of a saint, and if I found myself at a party with her I'm sure we'd have a lovely conversation, particularly about how beautiful the California coast is and what our favorite beaches are.

I think perhaps you and I just see this differently. From my point of view I'm focusing on the results and whether or not they can be validated. You are perceiving personal attacks on my part, and try as I might I just can't see what I'm doing in that way. I'm glad you had the courage to state your point of view. Even though I disagree with it I have benefitted from examining my own point of view in light of yours.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Whitedog - why don't give them a try on your own car(s) while you wait for break in on the big guys. - susanne
I have a sedan and I believe I have read that they don't work as well on sedans. We also have a bunch of stupid minivans, but their days are so erratic, I wouldn't trust the numbers enough to rely on them. Plus I would have to get fuel usage and that would be another thing to bother the boss about. I could put them on the bus going to Chemult, but that one has three different drivers. Though I guess it all even out after enough time. I'll think about that. Don't expect any decision until after the New Year. Heck, I'm still not sure they have decided on which route to put the Transit.

AeroHance

TDI
I have a sedan and I believe I have read that they don't work as well on sedans. We also have a bunch of stupid minivans, but their days are so erratic, I wouldn't trust the numbers enough to rely on them. Plus I would have to get fuel usage and that would be another thing to bother the boss about. I could put them on the bus going to Chemult, but that one has three different drivers. Though I guess it all even out after enough time. I'll think about that. Don't expect any decision until after the New Year. Heck, I'm still not sure they have decided on which route to put the Transit.
So have some fun! Put them on the trunk of your sedan. I'm assuming you keep mileage on it, if not you can do so after you switch them to whichever commercial vehicle you decide. We can add your sedan data, to some other sedan data, and it will add to our pool.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Also the Jetta isnt running well so I dont have any recent data and what ever I get will be tainted. Yeah... I know excuses, excuses. And with winter fuel? It's just not a good idea.

AeroHance

TDI
Whitedog - Do appreciate your sincerity, but it is ok not be serious all of the time, and to have some fun along the way. There will be time to do your tally either way.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
OK, placed my Order - Suzanne, please check to see if everything went through on your end. Paid via paypal.

Looking forward to putting these to the test and gathering some of my own data points. I will update this thread as I go.

DieselBruce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Glad to see another person testing these out. More data is always better, especially coming from folks like on here who seem to be big numbers and stats fans. If these guys show that these things work I will DEFINITELY buy a set. Hell, I may just start testing soon (owned this car for about 35k miles and have tracked every single tank, except 1).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem with statisticians:

A statistician was out hunting deer. He saw one and took aim and fired six inches to the left. He adjusted his aim and fired six inches to the right. "Got him!"

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, so they finally decided on which route this will be on and it will be the easiest for me to control. it's 100,000- 120,000 miles per year and they make two trips daily. It will also be in the yard every afternoon so I can swap them around as needed. The boss is also on board with letting me see what they put in daily for fuel. I won't worry about differing loads because that should smooth out with more data points.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
OK, so they finally decided on which route this will be on and it will be the easiest for me to control. it's 100,000- 120,000 miles per year and they make two trips daily. It will also be in the yard every afternoon so I can swap them around as needed. The boss is also on board with letting me see what they put in daily for fuel. I won't worry about differing loads because that should smooth out with more data points.

Cool. It sounds like that will work out well.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Any Sportwagen gaspod data out there?

Are there any data out there for gaspod mileage on a Jetta/Golf Sportwagen? I'm making very slow progress with my data collection. If anybody else has data for their sportwagen, I wouldn't mind taking a peek.

AeroHance

TDI
Are there any data out there for gaspod mileage on a Jetta/Golf Sportwagen?
Diesl - Golf Yes. Some new just came in.

Jetta Yes, but most of our data is for the sedan.

Station Wagons Yes

Jetta/Golf Sportwagen? Aren't they 2 different models.

But, do you really want to color your results. We can wait for Spring weather for you to complete. From sunny, but also chilly, Santa Barbara.

Happy New Year to All!

-susanne:cool:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Susanne, what do you think about placement? In line with my hand, or in from of that seam at my fingertips?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Jetta/Golf Sportwagen? Aren't they 2 different models.
One model. Golf in Canada and Jetta in the US. With the 2015 model year, they will all be Golf Sportswagens.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
So, I've had the pods installed for 2 full tanks, and wanted feedback on placement.

They are currently placed just so:

And they must be doing something, as they at least affect snow on the roof: :D

I'm thinking a little rearward... Susanne? what is the official word on wagon roof placement?

AeroHance

TDI
Susanne, what do you think about placement? In line with my hand, or in from of that seam at my fingertips?
I showed it to Bob Evans and he says in line with your knuckles.

(No restaurant or sausage jokes please. Although I will say that the execs there have contacted us in the past for "Bob Evans" gifts for their XMAS parties, and there is a menu in our Evans' kitchen. The food served here is much better than there, "you won't go hungry and you won't go broke" when you eat in our Bob Evans' kitchen. His mother wrote cook books and insisted the kids learn to cook well.*)

Happy New Year to All!