GasPods

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Did you click the link I provided? His old data are still there.
In an earlier post I wrote exactly which fillups I used for the graph.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I clicked on the link that you provided in the post... the link to Gary's Fuelly page. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Veedub, it's not a link to Gary's current Fuelly page. It's a link to the Fuelly page of his old Golf TDI, with the data for it.

Last edited:

AeroHance

(Susanne) Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Currently drive 2004 Volvo 760XC - Test Driving Golf TDI
Ernie Brooks just posted the following to his facebook page (unsolicited):

My VW turbo diesel (2012) is rated at 46mpg at the factory....by adding GasPods my mileage average is 50mpg...driving from Seattle/San Diego 2/25/15 my average was 51.8 mpg driving the speed limits....thank you Bob Evans for the ride!...my best average driving the coast from Astoria Or. to Coos Bay Or. Was 56.2

And, here is a bit about who Ernie Brooks is:

http://www.livingcoloursdiving.com/...s-there-s-not-a-place-like-this-in-the-planet

And, here is his TDI:

AeroHance

TDI
Susanne, did he have any "before" mileage records? From his statement, it's unclear.
Yes. My understanding is that he was tracking his mileage before installing GasPods, a little over a year ago.

AeroHance

TDI
Whitedog - This might be of interest to you. We just finished a test with Easy Lift in Santa Barbara

http://www.easylift.org/

10 of their vehicles were GasPodded in July 2014, and we tracked comparative mileage on 15 of their vehicles. Baseline tracking on some started in Apriil, others were tracked for a shorter term - only in July.

We've tallied with GasPods mileage through August, and we'll publish as soon as the September and October numbers come through.

- susanne

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Any other VW Sportwagen results?

Susanne, are there any other VW Sportwagen (Jetta/Golf wagon; aka 'Golf Avant', 'Golf Estate' in other countries) results? My test is coming up negative (see http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4723640#post4723640 ), and I would be very interested in what other people are seeing with the same car.

AeroHance

TDI
Diesl - Now that weather is presumably better for analysis, are you continuing to track?

And, if you'd like a voice with the letters, tune in at:

http://archive.kpfk.org/

Scroll down to:

Christine Blosdale Special
Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:00 pm

-susanne

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
My wagon is not a Jetta/golf, rather a Passat.

I did not see any tangible difference in fuel consumption over the winter, minus the 5 tanks to and from Florida where I removed them and installed my roof carrier.

Otherwise, you can see my before/after fuelly results on a Passat wagon - pods were installed Around Jan 1 15.

Real results (good or bad) will be over the coming months, as last spring is when I really started driving this car in earnest.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

They are right at 4 3/4" centers. I put the center one on and the edge ones on, then measure from the center to the edge pods and put one in the center of that. Then divided them up and eye-balled them then measured and came up with 4 3/4 " centers, adjusting accordingly.

I marked their location with a sharpie. I figured that I'm the only one that will see the marks other than a tow truck driver and if he sees them, it won't matter.

I forgot that I put them on at 38202 miles. (That many miles since Jan. 1!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Bringing it back from the dead BUT I recently ordered a set and I am anxious to see what happens ....

I bought the magnetic versions so easy on / easy off ...

My initial thought is more than 9 are needed (9 for the roof and maybe another 9 for each side).

Maybe more are needed to make a difference that is easy to see ....

Actually I mat write the company to see if they can send me out a few more so I can test (I paid for the one set I have coming) but am willing to test more if they can send some extras out .....barring that the Ecomodder in me says try a "Trailer Tail"

Andrew

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you pay postage...and.... Promise to test in a scientifically valid way, you can have mine for free. Pretty sure i still have all nine. (Magnetic)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Not these again... lol. Been proven over and over to do absolutely nothing but waste money.
Do they male vortexes... kinda... do those do anything at speeds when it should count... no.
There is a reason they were on some cars and then disappeared. Like those fake deer whistle scare things on your bumpers back in the 90s.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
My dad used to have one of those "vortex makers" inside the air intake. Never saw a mpg improvement, but it did seem to eliminate knock going up hill. Many years later i heard it being advertised on the weekend car repair radio show. During the host's live read of the ad, he says "(with enthusiasm) It can save up to THIRTY PERCENT on your gas mileage (lower volume) they tell me."

Shameless scammers. The product was useless, and the host knew it, but covered his bases by softly adding "they tell me".

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
If you pay postage...and.... Promise to test in a scientifically valid way, you can have mine for free. Pretty sure i still have all nine. (Magnetic)
HI,

That would be cool .... I'll PM you.

I've been educating myself from You Tube U (niversity) about vortex generators etc .... I think it would be good to try it first hand and not rely on what others say because some say it works others say it doesn't ... who knows

I do have a pretty extensive MPG records on fuelly so we'll see how things go after adding them.....

Thanks

Andrew

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Not these again... lol. Been proven over and over to do absolutely nothing but waste money.
Do they male vortexes... kinda... do those do anything at speeds when it should count... no.
There is a reason they were on some cars and then disappeared. Like those fake deer whistle scare things on your bumpers back in the 90s.
That's actually not true. I did analyze some other people's data, and for standard Golfs it makes a 5% or so difference. Sadly, not for my Sportwagon. I'm guessing the roof rack already creates enough disturbance.

So, they do work on some cars.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
For testing, I think what works best is doing a strict on-off regime for successive tankfuls, and then analyzing the resulting distributions for significance of difference. The beauty of this method is that the distributions tell you the reproducibility of your mileage, so you know whether the difference you are seeing (if you see any) is likely a fluke, or significant. I think I posted my method and results earlier on in this thread.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Review my fuelly if you have the time.

I ran these on and off for a year. I track my fuel religiously.

Gaspods never delivered any statistically significant reduction in fuel usage over a year of fueling on my mostly highway commute of 200km each day.

I installed them and removed them over a years worth of tanks, so as to remove seasonality and any prevailing wind biases. There was never any meaningful difference in fuel economy, on or off with gaspods.

Every time I hear a glowing review, the person shouting praises is never able to back any claim with any kind of meaningful data, and then they eventually just disappear (Suzanne, creator of the thread, where are you?). Examples provided have always been small datasets 5 tanks, ten tanks, which from a statistics standpoint is unfortunately meaningless.

Don't waste your money.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For testing, I think what works best is doing a strict on-off regime for successive tankfuls, and then analyzing the resulting distributions for significance of difference. The beauty of this method is that the distributions tell you the reproducibility of your mileage, so you know whether the difference you are seeing (if you see any) is likely a fluke, or significant. I think I posted my method and results earlier on in this thread.
I did that when I switched over from the OEM Hankooks to Bridgestone Ecopias. Looked at 5000 miles worth of fuel data before and after.