Gas or no gas?

NurseGuy1987

TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
So I realize that this is a TDI forum, so please don't crucify me for asking a non TDI related question. Haha. As I have recently posted, my TDI was killed by an F150 4x4 and I am now on the hunt for a replacement. As it is nearly impossible to find a low mileage TDI, I have decided to look at the gassers. I found a 2000 Beetle GLS 5 speed with only 76,900 original miles. 3 owner. Clean history and title. No accidents. It has the 2.0 turbo engine. Any comments, experiences, warnings, or input????? Thanks in advance. Side note.....anyone in the S.E. Georgia region have a TDI for sale??????

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
The 2.0 is N/A. Only the 1.8t and the TDI are turbocharged for MK4's. 2.slows are fine for daily drivers, good economy, and pretty reliable. But boring and slow.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There were no 2.0L turbo engines. The base 2.0L "two-point-slow" was a SOHC non turbo 115hp engine. They are a very good engine, but not super powerful, not very efficient, but are low stress, durable, easy to service.

The 1.8L engine IS turbocharged, is a DOHC 5v engine, makes (depending on version) 150-180hp, and is quite peppy. No TDI, but perhaps a wee bit better fuel economy than the 2.0L, although the gearing is such that it will drop quickly after about 60. Those are more complex to service, and a lot more "stuff" packed under the hood (especially on the NBs) so servicing them can be more challenging. However with proper care they are pretty durable.

All the 4 cyl engines of that era, gas or diesel, are based on the same architecture.

I own/have owned lots of these, they are fine but are no match for TDI fuel economy and driveability. My 2005 2.0L 5sp NB struggled to get 26 MPG driving the same route and speeds as my ALH Golf snaps off 49 MPG tanks, there is THAT much of a difference. I drive fast, and that is where the TDI really shines. Plus, the TDI does not care if the A/C is running, if there is a load of junk in the trunk, or if a trailer is hooked behind it.

I would not get hung up on a "low mileage" factor of the TDI. The numbers in the odometer of a Volkswagen are for keeping track of routine scheduled PM and to brag to your friends and family. They are in no way a real world indicator of the usable life or condition of the car. A nice, clean, well cared for, well maintained ALH or BEW car with 250k miles on it can be a great purchase. And they are out there if you look.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Ditto on the fuel economy of the 2.0, best I squeezed out of mine was 28mpg and that was with trying. One of the mechanics at work had a mark for golf with the 1.8 turbo, and I believe he said he could squeeze low 30s out of it. One of the best vehicles I’ve had for dependability and economy, outside the TDI, was a 2006 Ford Focus manual. Hardly touched a wrench to it, put close to 200,000 miles on it and a steady 36 mpg in warm weather. Sold it to a friends son and it still goes strong.
Depending on your situation, you may be happiest holding out for a well-maintained-tdi. If you can’t wait maybe you can find a good enough deal on a gasser to where you can sell it the gasser after you find a-tdi

oilhammer

TDI
I think Volkswagen has no real drive to offer a truly fuel efficient gasoline vehicle, especially back then. Because the diesels were just so much better in that regard.

Even their current 1.4L turbo gas engine cannot best an ALH, although it does come pretty close.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Echoing above, the 2.0 is stout and reliable, but lacks the torque and efficiency of the TDI. My buddy has a 2000 Jetta with just over 200k, he has a hotter cam and a header and it still is anemic. His best tank ever was 34mpg, moving from Colorado to Texas and driving 67-70mph. His average tanks are about 25mpg.
The 1.8 has its quirks, but if properly cared for can be reliable and get low 30's if a manual.

There are mk4's with over a half million miles. They are a bit rare but can do it. Just carefully scrutinize any candidates for common problems or anything else you can see.

Good luck hunting!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just looked at 3 threads same stuff. Guess your interweb skills did not suffer. Nice work getting them to pay for lost wages, guessing you have a decent insurance company, one that doesn't spend all their money on TV ads.

I'd say if you're going to get a gas car, get something much newer, that 2000 was built 20 years ago.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I would lean away from a 2.0. It was an OK engine when I had my 2000 GLS, but I guess there were issues with the earlier ones burning oil due to some manufacturing error with the piston rings. Least that's what I was told when I owned mine 10 years ago. Fouled up the catalysts and spark plugs after 5 years. Past that, my fuel eco with the slush box, I couldn't get above 26mpg and was never happy with its power. Test drive it, and see if it's something you'd be happy with. But I'd almost suggest a higher milage tdi over a 2.0

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
All VW's of that era (B5, B5.5, MK4) had their trade offs.

Many claim the 2.0 in the MK4 to be one of the most reliable, but I do recall issues with the 99.5/2000 engines??

Did you buy back/keep your totaled TDI? Swapping it's engine into a dead gasser might be a good solution.

Keep in mind that all New Beetles are at the bottom of the demand list for most VW folks, so pricing should be LOW compared to anything else MK4 wise.

Funny thing a quick search of Savannah CL shows a 2002 bug, 5 speed, 111k miles, great on gas - Diesel?? but it looks like a gasser to me.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/summerville-2002-vw-bug-2100-takes-it/6890222307.html

This looks to be an actual TDI MK4 wagon, "modded" , 164k

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/doctors-inlet-03-vw-jetta-wagon-tdi-6/6891516829.html

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That 2002 looks like a sweet car, but it's Craiggy so it's possibly a fooly. The beetle is the best design of the A4, not good for multiple passengers, smallish trunk. Actually has a bit more room for the driver than a Jetta/Golf.

NurseGuy1987

TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
I am going to steer away from the gasser. My TDI has already been taken to a yard since it was just easier for me to get a check and buy something else. I actualy found a 1 owner Mustang GT 1997 with 100,000 miles. Short shift 5 speed, new rear end and upgraded gears to 3.73 (i believe). It is an adult driven car owned by a muscle head, unmolested, and not raced. It appears to be in superb condition and I must admit, I've always had a soft spot for the Mustang GT's, especially the older models. I'm not very impressed with the newer ones, unless it is the Coyote motor or the Boss 302. My ex always drove GT's and there is just nothing that sounds better to me than a set of Flowmaster 40's bellowing down the road. It is white on black, cold AC, and new tires. Offset on the back to stick out a bit more and also a size larger than the front. Any mustang guys'/gals in here?

oilhammer

TDI
Well that went pear shaped quickly, LOL... :p

I have no great love of Fox body cars, however as a hobby car they are certainly with some merit. But no way I'd want to drive one every day. Be a great second (or third) car though for sure.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Not sure if I'm a Mustang guy but I've had the '65 in the garage for 15 months now.
I get the attraction, though. I think you'll need another TDI when you begin to tinker!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You posted in your other thread that "all you want is another TDI Beetle." Switching to a Mustang may be appealing, but I'd caution you to think about what you liked about your Beetle and whether or not the Mustang will satisfy you as much. VWs have a lot of characteristics that grow on people, and TDIs have additional attributes. The Ford may not possess any of them, despite having attributes of its own.

I own a bunch of cars in addition to my MKIV Jetta Wagon, but I have to make a conscious effort to get in a different car in the morning. Not that I don't like the other cars, but VW TDIs, especially MKIVs (at least in my experience) seem to grow on you. Beware of buyer's remorse.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
I'm not partial to the middle generations of Mustangs myself, I like the looks of the newest line though.
I must admit though, a well set up exhaust plus a Ford Modular can sound rather exceptional. Though.... poorly set up it's pretty gnarly haha
I still remember my first shop job, they had a performance division and did custom tuning (Jordan was and still is a WIZARD with tuning) and had plenty of Mustangs and 150's come through. Naturally aspirated, Procharged, Magnacharged, Kenne Bells, Turbos.... fun times

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
You have wheels, hunt up a TDI. Make it a nice one. I spent some time digging up my Jetta, and found an 04 with 70k miles that had 2 years/15k on its timing belt.
cheers,
Douglas

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, I have a '15 Mazda "6" now -- and have put 175k on it. Dead-balls reliable, 6-speed MTX, returns high 30s on the highway for fuel economy and runs on cheap 87 gas. On a dollars-per-mile basis it's equivalent to a TDI in terms of fuel burn and has no expensive scheduled engine maintenance issues (timing chain .vs. belt) and is NA so no turbo failure risks either. I'm extremely happy with it, but it's not a TDI -- it doesn't have the grunt of a nozzled or tuned one. UOAs say it's showing near-zero internal engine wear; I bet the engine trivially goes 300k miles and it may make 500k. It's a LOT bigger sedan than a Jetta as well, which makes the FE even more impressive. With that said it's not the Jetta wagon in terms of carrying capacity, so.... yeah. Six of one, half-dozen of another.

My '03 is now my daughter's and is right near a quarter-million miles. Burns a bit of oil as opposed to when it was new and didn't burn any. Has DLC1019s in it, no tune, dialed back just enough via IQ so you can't slip the stock Sachs. However, other than routine maintenance and a reseal of the IP all of the major mechanical bits are OE -- including said clutch! I fixed the A/C last year (compressor died) and of course suspension stuff has been done over time, along with brakes and a few batteries during its life. Fires immediately and runs great. What's not to like?