gas mileage on new Golf TDI

Giovanni

TDI
None
Hi all.
I just bought a brandnew Golf Gls TDI 2002 automatic.
I love the car, it drives great.

However, I got only 450 miles out of the first gas tank (some stop-and-go and some highway mileage).

Will my mileage improve when the engine breaks-in? Should I add lubricants ect to the car even when its brandnew? Any advise to a new diesel owner will be greatly appriciated.

I am very pleased with the car. Big change, lol. I have a Porsche 928 and I almost ordered a 350Z before buying the Golf. NO REGRETS SO FAR :))

Thanks,
Giovanni.

PS I am planning a 700 miles this weekend, I will keep you guys posted on the mileage

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Automatic TDI is only rated at 34mpg city and 42mpg highway. Also, you might try venting the tank when you fill up.

BTW, as your motor breaks in, mileage will improve as well.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Originally posted by ProjektZwoTDI:
Automatic TDI is only rated at 34mpg city and 42mpg highway. Also, you might try venting the tank when you fill up.

BTW, as your motor breaks in, mileage will improve as well.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Good point by Chris.

Automatic TDIs are all EPA rated at 34 mpg city and 45 mpg highway with the exception of the NB which is rated at one mpg less on the highway at 'only' 44 mpg.

Two points here.

Was the tank completely full when the dealer(?) filled it up for the initial free fill-up?

Did you perhaps get the tank fuller when you filled it up for the your first time compared to when it was first filled by the dealer?

Wait until you've filled the tank yourself many times before becoming discouraged.

I'm told that these engines take a lot of miles to get to where the fuel mileage improves (he says with tongue-in-cheek as his new car has only 2,700 miles, and is NOT broken in yet either.)!

Good luck. Don't let this discourage you.

judh

TDI
Jetta, 2k2, Galactic Blue
I have a 3000 mile new 2k2 jetta, and so far, the millage on my manual transmission is roughly 42 to 44Mpg with alot of stop and go in-town 4mile trip to work commute drives.

The tank Im on now has been my virst vent, full to the brim. I got 400Miles out of a half tank, but I have yet to figure out the halftank deal, so im waiting till the 'feedme' light beeps at me.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I can't resist

based on the title:
"gas mileage . . ."

LMAO You'll get bout 5 feet and thats about it if you fill your tank with Gasoline

j/k LOL time to start gettin used to saying FUEL or Diesel not gas
one of the quirks about owning the best damn car on the road