Gas mileage on 2005 TDI Beetle

Debbie martz

TDI
2005 beetle
I have a 2005 Beetle, Diesel with the DSG transmisson and I am only getting 34 to 37 MPG. I have drive on the highway and will get 39mpg. I have around 15,000 miles on it. I had it in the dealer and they keep telling me it is how I drive it. The did a test on the car, I had to have a full tank of gas, they drove it for 52 miles filled it up and told me I am getting 48 miles to the gallon. Can't figure that on out. My dealer told me to take it to another dealer there is nothing they can do. It also has the cold start hesitation they can' seem to fix. I don't think I would by another VW.

Debbie Martz

rv6_flyer

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
I have a 1998 New Beetle TDI 5-speed that I purchased USED in May 2007 that now has 227,978 miles. I just did an overnight trip to a friends. I had the cruise control set at 58 MPH when ever I could go that fast. I filled up before and after the trip at the same station using the same pump and not adding any more fuel after the pump tripped off. Drove 259.5 miles. Purchased 5.080 gallons of Shell ULSD. That calculates out to 51.08 MPG. Yes I did drive to use the least amout of fuel possible. This is my first TDI. My father has had 3 VW diesels over the past 30 years. I have driven all three.

I only get 44 MPG driving the eleven mile one way trip to and from work.

Gary

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
An automatic DSG in a post '04 TDI SHOULD be getting exactly what you have seen. A pre-'04 with a stick will get something totally different (in the lower 40's).

Consult your manual. Mid-30's is expected.
If your want to check out what you are actually getting, you need to take a minimum of 3 readings and then average them out. Using the button on the side of the fuel filling pipe to top up will give you a more consistant reading. This button was designed for the gas car. We don't need it, but taking it out in the Beetle is a pain. I just use the pump hose to press it down (it's located on the left hand side of the filler pipe).

~BeetleGo

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, PD + DSG + NB mid to high 30s is normal. If there was really anything "wrong" with it in 15k miles the ECU would have set a DTC by now.

Drive it harder than you think you should, this keeps the turbo working and happy, and will actually improve fuel economy.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
rv6_flyer said:
not adding any more fuel after the pump tripped off.
You have to fill your tank to the very top of the filler neck to get an acurate reading. the way that Diesel foams makes it impossible to get an accurate reading using this method. If your car hasn't had the ventectomy done by the previous owner you should have a white button on the inside of the filler neck that you can push with the nozzle of the fuel pump to make the foam go down.

Last edited:

Gent4157

TDI
New Beetle
I have a 2005 Beetle with an auto trans, I get a tank average of 46-49 MPG per Scangauge. When I first bought the bug my mileage was not all that good. The previous owner babied the car and never blew her out, since I have done this regularly it gets better mileage. Also I have read that the diesels don't get their best mileage till about 70+ thousand miles. Hot weather will hurt mileage mileage as well, just hang in there and enjoy your ride, besides I think the window sticker said 36-42 MPG.

ComradeXavier

TDI
2005 New Beetle
For my '05 NB (5 speed) I really only care about long term miles driven vs. gallons consumed, which is about 41 MPG at the moment. My miles are fairly balanced between city and highway.

My per-tank results vary (I'm not terribly a consistent filler). But before my first engine was destroyed at 17,000 miles in a freak glow-plug accident, I was noticing an upswing in MPG, and I'm starting to see a similar trend with 10,000 miles on my new engine.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
And if you're reading the mileage competitions in the fuel economy forum, keep in mind that the winners, week in and week out, are driving 45 mph in 5th gear w/ manual transmission. Seeing as how you list Maryland as your residence, I doubt you can get away with that on the DC or B-More Beltways, etc. The typical 75+mph cruising speeds in our areas are an automatic 5-10 mpg deduction.

jmarv

TDI
06 bug the wifes car 03 bug 5 spd my car
My wife has 24,000 miles on her bug with a DSG she cant get over 40 MPG
i know its the trafic and the way she drives. she loves te bug:)

littlesilverbugfromwales

TDI
vw new beetle tdi 100 pd
Hi, I'm getting about 42 Miles per US gallon out of my 1.9 tdi pd 100 manual new beetle. This figure is from mixed type driving. I understand from forum members here in the UK, these figures are about normal.
BTW, diesels get better MPG as the engine wears in.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
littlesilverbugfromwales said:
I've also heard that VW expect new engines to use more oil as they "wear in" and often delay the first oil changes to advance the wear process!!!!!!
Suggest you go by the book. First two OCIs 5K miles each, then 10K thereafter.

littlesilverbugfromwales

TDI
vw new beetle tdi 100 pd
I quote my 2003 VW NB TDI PD 100 service manual, issued by VW Oval Garrage Westbury :
"Longlife servicing (UK) oil change to be carried out between 9 and 30 thousand miles:eek: " I know it's hard to believe, but it's there.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah yes, you must have an oil monitor. Bear in mind that we in North America have been sentenced to a lifetime of vanilla VWs over here. They won't let us have the neat stuff. We're just happy they let us have TDIs and cheap(er) fuel.

littlesilverbugfromwales

TDI
vw new beetle tdi 100 pd
30k on the same oil is frightening though, no wonder the Longlife oil is $100 for 5 litres - Must be magic:D . I hope the monitors work!
I'd never go past 10k personaly though, as you say (even with UK LSDiesel) better to change it at 5K really. I use any good turbo diesel oil that is designed for PD engines.The car has some flash Mobile TD oil in it at the moment, I went to the local Kwikfit centre and watched them do it and checked what oil they were charging me for;) I had just bought the car used, and wanted to drive it as shorter distance as possible before putting "good" oil in it.
Wish we had your diesel prices though:(

Hookey

TDI
2005 Beetle
I have driven my 2005 NB with DSG 28,000 miles since buying it in August of '06. I have tracked every tank of fuel and get right where you are, i.e. 39 mpg overall. My commute is 100 miles per day.

littlesilverbugfromwales

TDI
vw new beetle tdi 100 pd
39 miles per US gallon (works out at about 48 miles per imperial gallon) thats good for an automatic car. You are doing a nice milage to work too, engine gets chance to warm up and run properly.

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
Wish we had your diesel prices though:(
How much does a pint of OSB cost? Or even a pint of Boddingtons? I'll bet you have a local brewer where you can get real ale.

Don't even get me started on the cost of good cheese. (No, Kraft cheese food is not real cheese, or wiz, or the stuff in a can)

There is a reason why I am a fat man.

littlesilverbugfromwales

TDI
vw new beetle tdi 100 pd
Hi AT, yep, We have Thomas Watkins brewers over in the Industrial Estate, and just over the common (about 2 miles) we have The Joiners Arms, which brew their own beer and do really nice curries too.
All pubs in the UK that are owned by a big brewery must by law sell a certain number of "Guest Ales". The reason is the big firms were, at one time buying up all of the small breweries pubs, and I don't know how, but this regulation means they don't kill the small brewers.

Here is whats brewed here in Swansea,Wales http://www.beermad.org.uk/brewery/943

We pay about £2.30 ($4.63) for a pint in a pub. Less than half that though for a simular size can or bottle of beer/ale from an Off-License (US= liquor store).

BTW I love real ale, and have a slight:eek: belly!

I enjoy good cheese too, full fat of coarse eg. I have a little French in my veins, so bread and cheese is a bit of a weakness of mine, or a strength.

Last edited:

Hookey

TDI
2005 Beetle
39 miles per US gallon (works out at about 48 miles per imperial gallon) thats good for an automatic car. You are doing a nice milage to work too, engine gets chance to warm up and run properly.
The Beetle has been a great car for my situation. Makes the drive more enjoyable, has plenty of room for me (not small), and is economical. I also like the 10k oil change interval and only refueling once a week.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
AccountingTroll said:
Don't even get me started on the cost of good cheese. (No, Kraft cheese food is not real cheese, or wiz, or the stuff in a can)

There is a reason why I am a fat man.
grafton village 4 star cheddar rules!

littlesilverbugfromwales

TDI
vw new beetle tdi 100 pd
Oh! British cheese, I was thinking French too. There are hundreds of British cheeses now because people are demanding real food.
We have dozens of very good Welsh cheeses to. I found a nice one from the Snowdonia area of mid-wales. Can't remember it's name but it had a black wax coating and was creamy (ish) but strangely very mature.
My daughters (5 and nearly two) love strong,crumbley and mature cheddar. People look at them daft when they see them choose this rather strong cheese, instead of the usual tasteless pap they foist on kids:D

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
06 PD with the DSG "auto" as some non mechanical types like to refer to it.. 42.5 mpg lifetime average 24k on it in 18 months. High of 45.5 low of 40. Average speed of 60 mph with some 65-70 and very little under 40. Commute of 55 miles per day on fairly level ground with mild hills and a dozen red lights.

To say that normal is mid 30's is absurd.. maybe with the ALH slushbox yes, but the PD DSG.. if you are getting a lifetime average of 30's you are driving a bit to hard, or too much stop and go.

Fuel is a definate consideration.. If you are getting routine 30's but are always getting fuel at the same place, try to change it up and check you #'s. Just make sure you are methodical before you begin to quote MPG figures.

OzarkTDI

TDI
'06.7 NB TDI
06 NB w/5spd. Average 41mpg. 18,900 miles total. Car is driven 186 miles per day thru moderate hills, elevation changes 150' many times. These are summer numbers and the temps have been in the 90's. 9 stops and starts for total distance. Average guestimated speed is 72mph over all per trip.

Honey has a bit of lead in the foot and sets the cruise at 77, thus the figured average speed of 72. Maintenance done per the book. Every ounce of fuel logged. I use power service white year around and vent every fill. Air pressure in tires is 40psi.

What more besides a 5th gear change is necessary? I have always wondered if a stage 1 chip grade is worth the $ as I can buy alot of fuel for the cost vs. savings.

Our NB has given flawless operation and being salsa red with a wing has gotten her many a "I love your beetle" comment.

Whatever mileage you get the bottom line is its still fun to drive, right?

littlesilverbugfromwales

TDI
vw new beetle tdi 100 pd
Sorry to be "non-mechanical", but her in the UK, If the driver doesn't operate a clutch and gear lever to "swap cogs" it's an automatic of some sort!
Funny thing is, here in the UK, unless you are driving a gas-guzzling executive car, we think of automatic car drivers as either disabled or unable to drive the car, change gear and remain in control of the vehicle at the same time(the mother of a friend of mine springs to mind, if you ever see her coming, best start running):D Auto's (or whatever the technical excuse is for "press'n'go" is ) are becoming more popular here:rolleyes: . Maybe, were just getting lazey:D :D
Cruise control on the other hand is cool, unless you drive a Winebago(?spelling?) and don't realise you still have to steer:confused:

Last edited:

laurabug

TDI
2006 New Beetle
When my 06 with DSG was still running, I averaged just under 45 mpg for the last 3 tanks. Prior to that, I saw 41-42 consistently. I vent, and always fill up at the same station (Shell). I'd say about 70% of my driving has been around town.

Oh, and the car has less than 7400 miles on it.