Gas in a 02 Golf TDI... Consequences?

KB1RCC

TDI
2002 Golf
My sister borrowed my car today and asked the attendant for diesel but he ended up filling it with gas. She then drove the car with it stalling over and over and then finally pulled into the driveway where it died and won't start anymore. What are the consequences of this? I plan on bringing it to my mechanic Mr. Chill, but I am curious what the problems this will cause and costs. Luckily the gas station has already agreed to cover costs because it was full serve, but they want to do all the repairs them self.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
If they have a qualified technician with a diesel certificate then there shouldn't be an issue- Check their background first- Go over the proceedure with them- If all the proper steps are followed then give them a chance to correct the situation- Just make sure the oil is changed as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Chill will straighten it out. Drain the tank and the fuel filter, put in some diesel, pull it into the pump, and you'll probably be good to go. As long as you didn't run it long enough to do damage to the pump-doesn't sound like it-it should be fine.

My son did this to his '98 on a cross-country trip this summer. After an all-night drive he stopped for fuel and filled it with unleaded. He was in Wisconsin, and unleaded pumps in WI have green handles. Fortunately he was within AAA's 100 mile range of JasonTDI and Jason had him back on the road in good order, no ill effects.

It was ironic because I lectured him at the beginning of his trip to make sure his two co-drivers didn't mis-fuel, or allow a full service station to mis-fuel his car. In the end he did it, and this is the only car he's owned. He was a bit embarrassed.

mrchill is the best. You're in good hands.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Most folks who misfuel and drive until it dies will be ok with a drain/new fuel filter/flush/refill with diesel. But it should be noted that it is possible to damage the injection pump, injectors, and even the pistons/block under the right circumstances, and damage to those parts may not show up for a while. That your sister repeatedly restarted and drove until she got it home increases the likelyhood of extensive damage. She should not have done that, she should have given up the attempt, parked it, and called for help. Under the circumstances, I doubt the fuel vendor can be held liable completely.

Here's the deal, for any newbies who are reading this. However it happens, if you wind up with a significant amount of gasoline in your tank, STOP right where you are to minimize the damage. If you realize it before you start it up, all it takes is to drain the tank and refill with the right stuff. If you start it up, you've added a new fuel filter and fuel system flush to the cost. If you drive it until it dies of its own, you might need a new IP and injectors, or more, and now we are getting into some real money.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
My sister borrowed my car today and asked the attendant for diesel but he ended up filling it with gas. She then drove the car with it stalling over and over and then finally pulled into the driveway where it died and won't start anymore. What are the consequences of this? I plan on bringing it to my mechanic Mr. Chill, but I am curious what the problems this will cause and costs. Luckily the gas station has already agreed to cover costs because it was full serve, but they want to do all the repairs them self.
I hope that you get that promise in writing.

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Nobody puts fuel in my diesel but me.Also,I've only stopped at *one* full service station since I've driven diesels and watched the attendant fuel the car.I suppose if I loaned my car to someone who was gonna put many hundreds of miles on it I'd give detailed instructions regarding procedure but that's yet to happen.Borrowers are told that there's 500+ miles worth of fuel in the tank and are *begged* not to put a drop of fuel in it.

I do hope the OP's problem is solved with minimum expense/trouble and no lasting damage.

KB1RCC

TDI
2002 Golf
I wouldn't let them do the repairs. I would get it one by someone I trust. Then send them the bill.
Yeah, I plan on bringing it to chill. I just have to argue with the guy till he gives up.
If they have a qualified technician with a diesel certificate then there shouldn't be an issue- Check their background first- Go over the proceedure with them- If all the proper steps are followed then give them a chance to correct the situation- Just make sure the oil is changed as well.
I guess if I had too I would them do it, but my family always used chill and hes experienced with VW.
Chill will straighten it out. Drain the tank and the fuel filter, put in some diesel, pull it into the pump, and you'll probably be good to go. As long as you didn't run it long enough to do damage to the pump-doesn't sound like it-it should be fine.
My son did this to his '98 on a cross-country trip this summer. After an all-night drive he stopped for fuel and filled it with unleaded. He was in Wisconsin, and unleaded pumps in WI have green handles. Fortunately he was within AAA's 100 mile range of JasonTDI and Jason had him back on the road in good order, no ill effects.
It was ironic because I lectured him at the beginning of his trip to make sure his two co-drivers didn't mis-fuel, or allow a full service station to mis-fuel his car. In the end he did it, and this is the only car he's owned. He was a bit embarrassed.
mrchill is the best. You're in good hands.
My family has used Chill in the past hes always been good.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Luckily the gas station has already agreed to cover costs because it was full serve, but they want to do all the repairs them self.
I didn't know that ANY gas stations still had service bays! I haven't seen one out here in over 20 years.

KB1RCC

TDI
2002 Golf
Most folks who misfuel and drive until it dies will be ok with a drain/new fuel filter/flush/refill with diesel. But it should be noted that it is possible to damage the injection pump, injectors, and even the pistons/block under the right circumstances, and damage to those parts may not show up for a while. That your sister repeatedly restarted and drove until she got it home increases the likelyhood of extensive damage. She should not have done that, she should have given up the attempt, parked it, and called for help. Under the circumstances, I doubt the fuel vendor can be held liable completely.

Here's the deal, for any newbies who are reading this. However it happens, if you wind up with a significant amount of gasoline in your tank, STOP right where you are to minimize the damage. If you realize it before you start it up, all it takes is to drain the tank and refill with the right stuff. If you start it up, you've added a new fuel filter and fuel system flush to the cost. If you drive it until it dies of its own, you might need a new IP and injectors, or more, and now we are getting into some real money.
I would think the they should be completely liable for the damages. She was under the assumption that the car was filled with the correct fuel and she isn't excellent at driving a standard so she thought the stalling was her problem. It was only realized that gas was in the car was when I opened the cap on the tank and could smell the gasoline. Hopefully there won't be as much damage as u say there could be.

I hope that you get that promise in writing.
I plan on getting that in writing and notarized. Also, he has agreed to cover any future damage.

Nobody puts fuel in my diesel but me.Also,I've only stopped at *one* full service station since I've driven diesels and watched the attendant fuel the car.I suppose if I loaned my car to someone who was gonna put many hundreds of miles on it I'd give detailed instructions regarding procedure but that's yet to happen.Borrowers are told that there's 500+ miles worth of fuel in the tank and are *begged* not to put a drop of fuel in it.

I do hope the OP's problem is solved with minimum expense/trouble and no lasting damage.
I did give pretty detailed instructions to her and the attendant was told to fill with diesel. It was some kids that just assumed that it was gas regardless it says it on the fuel door.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
I would think the they should be completely liable for the damages. She was under the assumption that the car was filled with the correct fuel and she isn't excellent at driving a standard so she thought the stalling was her problem. It was only realized that gas was in the car was when I opened the cap on the tank and could smell the gasoline. Hopefully there won't be as much damage as u say there could be.
I plan on getting that in writing and notarized. Also, he has agreed to cover any future damage.
I did give pretty detailed instructions to her and the attendant was told to fill with diesel. It was some kids that just assumed that it was gas regardless it says it on the fuel door.
I, too, hope there wasn't as much damage as is possible. It is unlikely to be that bad, I'm just saying that theoretically, that is possible.

As to who might be completely (or incompletely) liable, as long as the station is footing the bill, I'd let them pay it. If it does get expensive enough to drag things into court, heaven forbid that should happen, I'll bet that their attorney will point to the continued restarting problem as contributing to the damage and attempt to hang that on your sister. It might even stick.

But let's all think positively here, that the drain/flush/fuel filter/refill solves the problem. It does for most people.

Now if you had one of the new CR diesels, say a 2009 - 2011 TDI, the stories about HPFP pumps biting the big ones would suggest you were in deep. But your 2002 should be ok, and let's all keep fingers crossed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are cases of common rail TDIs being mis-fueled and not suffering damage. JasonTDI has a customer whose spouse has mis-fueled an '09 4 times. Still runs fine.

KB1RCC

TDI
2002 Golf
Now if you had one of the new CR diesels, say a 2009 - 2011 TDI, the stories about HPFP pumps biting the big ones would suggest you were in deep. But your 2002 should be ok, and let's all keep fingers crossed.
I was told this by another person and he said it could cost around 11k if I had a new diesel. I'm happy I still got my 02, but fingers are still crossed just in case the worst happens.

03bora

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
Gasoline in a diesel engine for sure does damage. For sure lots of good advice stated. A few years ago when I worked at a dodge dealer, we had a customers truck towed in with a similar situation and I ended up throwing a bunch of parts on that guy because of the damage it caused. It was a few $K when said and done. Please keep us posted as to what the final outcome is when you get your ride back. I too like to be the one who fills the car and not a station attendant or someone else who I let us my car.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The OP's car is my former 2002 Golf TDI. :eek: I sold it back in 2010 after I got my 2010 JSW.

Jeff, please keep us updated on what happens. Sorry to hear. My g/f and I were in Cocoa Beach FL and walking along the beach at night on New Year's Eve when I got the first text message from your dad on my cell phone. :eek: After we bounced a few texts back and forth, I ended up calling him and we talked for a while. :eek: The matter was too important to rely on texting via cell phones. :eek:

Hopefully mrchill doesn't find a big repair bill in that engine.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
........ Also, he has agreed to cover any future damage.......
Wow! Did this guy look at the odometer on your car before he agreed to this:eek::eek:
Good luck with the repair...however it gets done, as long as it's done right! I feel bad for your sister, she's probably horrified!
I stress out enough thinking of dry pump (?) damage when I have to turn the starter continually in my Sprinter to get it running after one of my occasional, mystery air in the fuel line episodes:rolleyes:. IDK if it causes damage, but, there's really no choice.

.....JasonTDI has a customer whose spouse has mis-fueled an '09 4 times. Still runs fine.
Crazy
....take the keys away from her!

KB1RCC

TDI
2002 Golf
Update: This morning got a call from the owner of the gas station changing his mind about covering it to covering nothing. As of now I am waiting upon the tow truck to arrive. The insurance company said they would cover the damage and fight the guy for the money giving me back my deductible. The car will be with Mr. Chill tonight. I just hope that too much damage was done to the car that it becomes totaled. Then I have to buy it back from which junkyard it goes too.
Gasoline in a diesel engine for sure does damage. For sure lots of good advice stated. A few years ago when I worked at a dodge dealer, we had a customers truck towed in with a similar situation and I ended up throwing a bunch of parts on that guy because of the damage it caused. It was a few $K when said and done. Please keep us posted as to what the final outcome is when you get your ride back. I too like to be the one who fills the car and not a station attendant or someone else who I let us my car.
I usually fill the car myself, but in this case the car was almost empty and she needed to be somewhere quick. I figured the gas station attendant would tell her what to do when she told him to fill it diesel but I guess not.
The OP's car is my former 2002 Golf TDI. :eek: I sold it back in 2010 after I got my 2010 JSW.
Jeff, please keep us updated on what happens. Sorry to hear. My g/f and I were in Cocoa Beach FL and walking along the beach at night on New Year's Eve when I got the first text message from your dad on my cell phone. :eek: After we bounced a few texts back and forth, I ended up calling him and we talked for a while. :eek: The matter was too important to rely on texting via cell phones. :eek:
Hopefully mrchill doesn't find a big repair bill in that engine.
Good luck.
Thanks for getting back to my dad so fast Dave! Sorry that he interrupted you. As I said earlier I am hoping he won't find a big bill then the insurance company will have to total it.
Wow! Did this guy look at the odometer on your car before he agreed to this:eek::eek:
Good luck with the repair...however it gets done, as long as it's done right! I feel bad for your sister, she's probably horrified!
I stress out enough thinking of dry pump (?) damage when I have to turn the starter continually in my Sprinter to get it running after one of my occasional, mystery air in the fuel line episodes:rolleyes:. IDK if it causes damage, but, there's really no choice.
Unfortunately he wanted to go the hard way and not pay for anything but at least it works to my advantage and I get it worked on by Chill. My sister is pretty horrified. I yelled at her several times before I walked over to the tank and opened it up only finding the smell of gas. To make things worse for her she goes to school with the kid that pumped it :(. It's strange because today after looking at the engine I noticed that the fuel lines did have some air in them. I am not sure if that is from the gas being put into it or not.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Update: This morning got a call from the owner of the gas station changing his mind about covering it to covering nothing....
Now there's an unexpected turn around:confused:
....I just hope that too much damage was done to the car that it becomes totaled. Then I have to buy it back from which junkyard it goes to...
should it get that far, you just buy it back on paper. It never actually goes to a scrap yard unless you do not buy it back.
...but at least it works to my advantage and I get it worked on by Chill....
the only good part of this story to date:(
My sister is pretty horrified. I yelled at her several times before I walked over to the tank and....
Be easy on your sister. If you want to yell, go visit the station owner or hose jockey who doesn't know which hose to grab....or how to read the inside of a fuel door...or a green cap...or the sound of a Diesel engine....

Last edited:

03bora

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
If the station owner/manager doesn't step up on the repair for this situation, then I'd like to know what he's smoking! How can a business not take the heat for this? After all, she did pay the station attendant to fill the vehicle with "diesel" and instead put gasoline in the tank. This should be a no brainier.....should be.

KB1RCC

TDI
2002 Golf
If the station owner/manager doesn't step up on the repair for this situation, then I'd like to know what he's smoking! How can a business not take the heat for this? After all, she did pay the station attendant to fill the vehicle with "diesel" and instead put gasoline in the tank. This should be a no brainier.....should be.
I don't know what hes thinking. He will be hearing from the Better Business Bureau the attorney generals office and the insurance company's attorneys. He won't be getting away with this one. For some reason his argument was that my sister was a new driver and asked for the wrong thing. Either him or his "Hose Jockeys" lying to save their ass.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
To the BBB, insurnace company or anyones who looks into this, it will be a he said/she said.

The fuel reciept should show which grade of fuel and which dispenser she filled up at. Take a look at that dispener is see if has diesel fuel. If she pulled up to a gasoline only dispenser, it will hurt your position.

If it was a combo diesel/gasoline dispenser, then that puts more responsibilty on the attendent.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RT1 said:
---Quote (Originally by romad)---
I didn't know that ANY gas stations still had service bays! I haven't seen one out here in over 20 years.
---End Quote---
Well, come on down to New Jersey where full service isn't an option, it's the LAW!
I said service BAYS, not pumps. This was in response to KB1RCC's line: "Luckily the gas station has already agreed to cover costs because it was full serve, but they want to do all the repairs them self"

If this gas station still has service BAYS and still does auto repairs then it is a rare one.

Oh, and only the GASOLINE pumps are mandatory "full-service". BTDTGT

KB1RCC

TDI
2002 Golf
To the BBB, insurnace company or anyones who looks into this, it will be a he said/she said.

The fuel reciept should show which grade of fuel and which dispenser she filled up at. Take a look at that dispener is see if has diesel fuel. If she pulled up to a gasoline only dispenser, it will hurt your position.

If it was a combo diesel/gasoline dispenser, then that puts more responsibilty on the attendent.
She did pull up to the diesel pump so we do have that on our side but like you said its going to be he said she said.

I said service BAYS, not pumps. This was in response to KB1RCC's line: "Luckily the gas station has already agreed to cover costs because it was full serve, but they want to do all the repairs them self"

If this gas station still has service BAYS and still does auto repairs then it is a rare one.

Oh, and only the GASOLINE pumps are mandatory "full-service". BTDTGT
A lot of gas stations around here still have service bays. Most of them I am sure are for emissions/inspection, but some still do service.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A lot of gas stations around here still have service bays. Most of them I am sure are for emissions/inspection, but some still do service.
Out here in the CPR, they all seem to have been converted to mini-markets. Probably a result of SpeedieMart adding pumps back in the 70s, increasing complexity of vehicles requiring more expensive specialized equipment, the CPR licensing requirements for mechanics, etc.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Just BUMPing this thread to the top, expecting an update any day now.