Galaxy 1.9tdi cylinder 1misfire

thomp1983

TDI
2002 galaxy
Hi all,

First post here, hopefully you can help a friend. A friend has bought a 52 plate galaxy 1.9tdi which has a misfire from cold.

What happens is start the car from cold and it runs on 3 cylinders for 5-10 minutes with lots of white smoke after that the missing cylinder kicks in and the car runs beautifully until it goes cold again.

Scanned the engine with vcds and it shows a misfire on cylinder 1, looking at measuring block 13 shows injector 1 is maxed out at +2.99 for the 5-10 minutes it's running on 3 cylinders which then drops to around +1.2 when the engine is running correctly.

I've replaced the injector with a known good unit of matching type to the other 3 fitted along with new sealing o rings and setting the lash correctly, I've also replaced the injector wiring loom and checked the glow plug for cylinder 1 which works fine.

The cam looks to be in good condition, I know pd engines can chew up the cams but I'm happy this looks ok, is there another check for a worn cam apart from visual inspection?

I'll be doing a compression test at some point to check if it's a low compression issue but I'm struggling for a fault that would generally go away once the engine has ran for a small while, low compression or another wear related failure I'd expect to present issues constantly not just for 5 minutes.

Thanks
Chris