FYI If you're off on your mileage

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
If your docs havent been accepted yet, call in and request a set back on your account. I over-estimated on mileage to 55k but i'm at 52.5k and getting a new car Tuesday, so not many more miles will get put on my TDI. The rep confirmed if you have your docs accepted and get an appointment but the mileage bracket is off, they will reschedule your appointment. So, if you're still pending, fix that NOW to avoid hassle later.

Plus i was in that awkward 9/20 submit date with docs forever pending. Maybe this'll get things rolling.

Drmaseofbase

TDI
2012 SE Passat
I had a temporary moment of insanity and entered 60,000 when in favt I'll have about 56,000 when my offer comes. My docs have already been accepted

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
I had a temporary moment of insanity and entered 60,000 when in favt I'll have about 56,000 when my offer comes. My docs have already been accepted
I don't know if that puts you into a different bracket, but it sounds like they may end up rescheduling your appointment after they fix it then since its already accepted.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
If they're actually doing that, it's going to generate a ton of complaints, and it's entirely inconsistent with what the settlements call for. The settlements are clear: If you elect EFT, you'll get the EFT transaction, based on the actual mileage, within three banking days. If you elect a check, and your mileage is at or below the estimated value, you'll leave with a check based on the estimated value. If your mileage is far enough below the estimated value that you're due additional money, a check for the difference will be sent within three banking days. If your mileage is far enough above the estimate that your buyback is less, you leave with no check, and a check for the correct amount will be sent within three banking days.

Nothing in the settlements allows them to refuse the buyback and require rescheduling if the mileage is different than they expect. Unlike everything that's being complained about here right now, that would count as VW dragging their feet.

mrsdean4

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Is there a way to check what you entered?

I have no recollection of what mileage I put down. Is there a way to see that?

jason0876

TDI
2013 Jetta
I read somewhere that if your mileage was over/under the original number, instead of getting a check in hand the day of the buyback, they were going to mail you one in a few days.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
This would really be messed up. Might be 3-5 months (or much more) between document submittal and vehicle turnin. And now the owner has to ensure that the mileage on the clock at turn in falls within the predefined window??? As DanB86 says above, this would be completely outside the rules of the settlement.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
I am merely passing the info I got from the claim guy at VW. Out of the 4 or so i've spoken to, he was the only one i actually seemed to get (what seemed to be) honest answers from. He seemed very confident in his responses vs previous callers who didn't seem to know anything.

jsplinter

TDI
Jetta
from their website:

If at the time of your Buyback, your vehicle is subject to a positive mileage adjustment (in other words, your vehicle mileage at the time of your Buyback transaction is below the mileage range that you entered into the Online Claims Portal), you will receive a check at your Buyback transaction and an additional check for the amount of the mileage adjustment will be mailed to you within 3 banking days of the closing transaction.
If at the time of your Buyback, your vehicle is subject to a negative mileage adjustment (in other words, your vehicle mileage at the time of your Buyback transaction is above the mileage range that you entered into the Online Claims Portal), your transaction cannot be completed and you will need to reschedule your appointment, you may do so using the Online Claims Portal or by calling 1-844-98-CLAIM.

mrsdean4

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I called about this last night, and the rep bumped the question up to his supervisor. The answer I received was that we will be given the opportunity to adjust the mileage before the appointment is made.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I am merely passing the info I got from the claim guy at VW. Out of the 4 or so i've spoken to, he was the only one i actually seemed to get (what seemed to be) honest answers from. He seemed very confident in his responses vs previous callers who didn't seem to know anything.
that's because it's easy to be confident when you're making stuff up

SuperDaveAPK

TDI
2009 Jetta
Makes no sense

I called about this last night, and the rep bumped the question up to his supervisor. The answer I received was that we will be given the opportunity to adjust the mileage before the appointment is made.
Makes no sense. Once you make the appointment, most people will still have to drive the vehicle there, some a pretty good distance.

I interpreted it the same as Dan. You'll get a check or EFT for the value and restitution the day you turn in and the positive mileage adjustment will come later once they have the final odo reading.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
If at the time of your Buyback, your vehicle is subject to a positive mileage adjustment (in other words, your vehicle mileage at the time of your Buyback transaction is below the mileage range that you entered into the Online Claims Portal), you will receive a check at your Buyback transaction and an additional check for the amount of the mileage adjustment will be mailed to you within 3 banking days of the closing transaction.
If at the time of your Buyback, your vehicle is subject to a negative mileage adjustment (in other words, your vehicle mileage at the time of your Buyback transaction is above the mileage range that you entered into the Online Claims Portal), your transaction cannot be completed and you will need to reschedule your appointment, you may do so using the Online Claims Portal or by calling 1-844-98-CLAIM.
This is better than what @daesania reported, but still not compliant with the FTC Order. If this is combined with the option to edit your mileage shortly before the appointment, it might work out OK, but it's still going to result in rescheduling and delays for no good reason.

jsplinter

TDI
Jetta
If y'all read what I posted from their website it says if you are under mileage you are good. If you are over mileage you have to reschedule. That is straight from the FAQs section

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
At this point I don't care if I'm under mileage. In my case difference between brackets is negligible. I'll take the check and be on my way. I don't even want to think about what rescheduling would look like.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
If your over mileage you will not get a check right then, they will either mail you or EFT the corrected amount to your bank. you do not need to reschedule. Changing your mileage estimate might be a good idea to so they have a check at turn in.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
If your over mileage you will not get a check right then, they will either mail you or EFT the corrected amount to your bank. you do not need to reschedule. Changing your mileage estimate might be a good idea to so they have a check at turn in.
Yes, that's what the settlements say. But the FAQs on https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/ say differently, and are what @jsplinter quoted. Hence the problem.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
So...i do not remember how many miles i estimated at turn in....any way to check that?
It would have been nice if VW would have noted to exceed your return estimated mileage to be safe, in order not to reschedule your appoinment

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
My mileage estimate at turn in (Nov 1st) was 30,001-35,000 miles. I just went over 35,000 miles but Nov 1st has passed. The estimated monthly mileage is 1042 miles. I wonder if they break that down to a daily amount if you go past the target date of turn in?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Sounds like it's time for us all to change our mileage estimates to a million miles.

Fizzyone

TDI
2014 Golf TDI
So...i do not remember how many miles i estimated at turn in....any way to check that?
It would have been nice if VW would have noted to exceed your return estimated mileage to be safe, in order not to reschedule your appoinment
I didn't remember either so I called the claims number last night and asked them. No hold time but I had to give my info to 2 people before I got the answer. Thankfully the number I used for a Dec 15 buyback will be right in the middle of the range my car will be in.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I'm sure the "Offer" is going to be similar to the initial estimate we all received. VW and this Third Party are smart enough to know that people will report their initial mileage incorrectly (on purpose or by honest mistake). Once the vehicle arrives at the dealership at the "appointment" the actual mileage will be verified along with the options you listed. If the actual mileage is in a different bracket one would assume they will adjust the payment accordingly; either higher or lower.

I highly doubt there are completed and signed checks waiting at the dealership. How insane to think there is a check with your name on it sitting on someone's desk. And now due to unforeseen circumstances the true final value of your car is higher/lower they have to write another "corrected" check?

There are many many owners who parked their cars with every intention of maximizing their buyback amount. IF I had that luxury I would have also. Just wait for your appointment and let the non-sense begin!
:D

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
My mileage estimate at turn in (Nov 1st) was 30,001-35,000 miles. I just went over 35,000 miles but Nov 1st has passed. The estimated monthly mileage is 1042 miles. I wonder if they break that down to a daily amount if you go past the target date of turn in?
There is no provision for what you describe in the legal settlement document. Therefore my best estimate of an answer to your question is "no." The document provides for a specific method to determine the mileage, and I think that is what they will adhere to. They just can't make stuff up, particularly when the language agreed upon in the settlement of the CAS has already addressed that question.
My advice: don't go over the mileage for that particular block, or you're going to face a deduction for the entire amount, even if it's one mile.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Official Offer document from VW states otherwise

If your docs havent been accepted yet, call in and request a set back on your account. I over-estimated on mileage to 55k but i'm at 52.5k and getting a new car Tuesday, so not many more miles will get put on my TDI. The rep confirmed if you have your docs accepted and get an appointment but the mileage bracket is off, they will reschedule your appointment. So, if you're still pending, fix that NOW to avoid hassle later.
Plus i was in that awkward 9/20 submit date with docs forever pending. Maybe this'll get things rolling.
I received my official "Final Offer" email/ letter yesterday. It specifically states:

"Please note that the total payment may change based on updated mileage at the time of your buyback appointment."

Nowhere does it state another appointment will be required if a change is made to the mileage at the time of the buyback appointment.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Regardless of what it says on the settlement website, I would be shocked if they actually delay a buyback/cancel a buyback appointment over the mileage being off. Delaying a check or funds transfer over it? I wouldn't be surprised about that happening, but canceling/delaying the buyback? That's asinine.

You think people are annoyed at this point...imagine how well it's going to go over when someone is expecting to drop their car off, grab a check, and take off down the street to buy a vehicle at 'x' dealership...only to get told "sorry...we'll have to reschedule your buyback because you drove your car too much," lol.

That and this would be a complete waste of time. When they call to setup the buyback appointment...they have to be able to confirm the mileage at that point and make an adjustment in the system, if necessary.

Edit: Another take on this...I wouldn't be surprised if that warning regardless excess mileage is to address idiots that might put in SIGNIFICANTLY lower miles into the online system to generate a larger buyback number. Yeah...there's an obvious hole in that plan (they're going to check the mileage), but lets be real...we are a society that has warning labels on everything for a reason. Some idiot has done it or thought about doing it (whatever dumb or dangerous thing is being addressed).

Last edited:

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
I received my official "Final Offer" email/ letter yesterday. It specifically states:
"Please note that the total payment may change based on updated mileage at the time of your buyback appointment."
Nowhere does it state another appointment will be required if a change is made to the mileage at the time of the buyback appointment.
Sounds like things are moving along.
I'll expect a similar notice soon.
The estimated mileage was in brackets of 5000 miles. I didn't see anything more specific than that.
I registered expecting to be between 65000 and 70000.
The car is at about 68000 now, and it's being parked as of today.
Maybe I'll get a few bucks more, but I haven't seen anything to suggest payment based on exact mileage, just 5000 miles increments.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Final offer values may be off

Sounds like things are moving along.
I'll expect a similar notice soon.
The estimated mileage was in brackets of 5000 miles. I didn't see anything more specific than that.
I registered expecting to be between 65000 and 70000.
The car is at about 68000 now, and it's being parked as of today.
Maybe I'll get a few bucks more, but I haven't seen anything to suggest payment based on exact mileage, just 5000 miles increments.
Oddly, my final offer value was off by a mileage bracket versus what I reported (they offered me more money than the online portal, etc. had previously suggested I would get by about $500). I suspect this final offer was maybe based on mileage recorded by VW at some point (maybe when I picked up the "customer appreciation" cards). I'm sure this will be adjusted down during the appointment and that my EFT will reflect the correct amount. Probably another reason why choosing EFT for payment type for buyback will speed things up and avoid delays.