FYI - Dipstick tube replacement - easy

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta
This morning I replaced the dipstick tube (the Orange/Yellow one). First, carefully remove all broken pieces including those inside the lower tube.

First I tried to just push the new tube on, I couldn't get it to fully seat without risking breaking it. It's a bit of a tight fit. Next, I took a small pan of not boiling but very hot water (just heated it on the stove) dunked the flange into the hot water for maybe 30-45 seconds. Then slid the tube on until it stopped, then rapped the top of the tube with the heel of my hand and it easily popped on and seated properly. I then gave it a few minutes to cool before inserting the dipstick. Good as new.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
My guru gave me the same tip as JETahhs trick with a heat gun, 5-10 secs,
just be careful with the heat no matter what source you use.
It's a thermoplastic, at least with the hot water you're unlikely to get it too hot.

Silverwings

TDI
02 Beetle / 03 Jetta Wagon
Just replaced mine a last weekend. Very easy stuff. The only problem I had was the one friggin tiny piece of broken plastic fell down the tube and I could hear it hit the bottom of the oil pan. Arrggh! Oh well, it will either get stuck on the oil pick-up screen, sit in the pan indefinitely, or come out the drain on the next oil change.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The only problem I had was the one friggin tiny piece of broken plastic fell down the tube and I could hear it hit the bottom of the oil pan. Arrggh! Oh well, it will either get stuck on the oil pick-up screen, sit in the pan indefinitely, or come out the drain on the next oil change.

It will stay in the pan indefinitely. Here's my pan that I dropped to do a rear main seal. You can see the bits.