FUTURE TDIFESTs

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
A couple of things... It's nice to suggest an area folks but people there
have to step up to it. It not like we magically pick a spot somewhere and the fest just happens.

40X40 said:
Wish I could have been there this year!!
Woulda' been a 16 hour drive!:eek:
I have yet to go to a fest or major GTG that wasn't at least 18-24 hours away and I would travel further. I'd love to see Victoria again so if it was there I'd drive too... But we won't know where it will be until folks send in proposals and Fred decides a winner.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
one more suggestion.... maybe for future events, plan it around RallyVW's schedule, and do a TDIfest to actually cheer them on. I'm sick of going to rallies full of Subie people...

whether it be a Rally-America event or USRC event....though I do remember hearing Jon uttering Rally Tennessee before.

www.rallytennessee.com (and great.... it happens during Labor Day weekend)....

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
There were over 200 registrations this year......By quite a bit the Largest fest ever.......And in my observation there were quite a few families there this year......The Date has not always been Labor day.......After the 1st 2 fests, it changed to labor day basically because you have an extra day and the Kids are still off.
I have made 6 of the 7 Feast's and it is a focal point of my year my family grants me this time.
This fest is available to any group that is willing to step up to the plate and make a bid.....There is a Huge committment involved !!time and sacrifice!!! and it never fails, every year this same thread pops up again folks complaining it's my family weekend or it's too far to drive......
But the Fest seems to get bigger each year with people coming from farther distances.....It was great for me this year I only had to drive 140 miles!!
If you feel you want a Fest get a group together and put a BID in!!If you plan it they will come!!
My suggestion to you before you undertake this is to contact some former organizers and listen to them.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Or we could have it some place like Hawaii where EVERYONE would have to travel... :D

Just a thought!

BeetleGo

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
whitedog said:
Leadville Starts higher than the mountains I posted.:eek:

It would be cool to do some high altitude testing of things...

Not really sure what things, but just things...
Yes, but they already have a head start by being 5000+ feet above sea level, so to me, Mt Shasta, Mt Hood, Mt Baker, and Mt Rainier are much more impressive ;)

SSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none :-(
great idea

dieselrox said:
There's another possibility: if we want to make a big statement, we might want to consider the Washington, DC area for a future Fest. We could have a caravan around the mall, generate some national news, and maybe get the attention of some of the blubberheads in Congress.
I really like this idea! I wish I still lived in Silver Spring than I could submit a proposal with Tomo366. - SSTDI

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
We should have at Tomo's house. At least his neighbors are already used to the sound of diesel clatter.

-Mike

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
My 2 cents.

The fest was great this year (albeit my first).

I hope to help out some more next year if possible. The sheer enormity of the task of running TDIfest never dawned on me until I was there and watched the staff run themselves raw to the bone. I sincerely appreciate the efforts of everyone who contributed to this year's event.

I'm willing to drive further but there's no way I'm bringing SnowCub into Canada. The American customs would never let me back in this country. They'd think I was hiding drugs in the GreaseCar tank. Too big a headache.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
I promise that where ever the fest is, i will be there. I have been looking for a reason to go for a cross country drive, and i think that a west coast fest would be perfect for it. It will be nice to be on the other side...

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
20IndigoBlue02 said:
one more suggestion.... maybe for future events, plan it around RallyVW's schedule, and do a TDIfest to actually cheer them on. I'm sick of going to rallies full of Subie people...

whether it be a Rally-America event or USRC event....though I do remember hearing Jon uttering Rally Tennessee before.

www.rallytennessee.com (and great.... it happens during Labor Day weekend)....
I like this idea! It was awesome to watch the DVD but to see a race would be even better, especially with 200 TDI people there!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I have now posted the thread for proposals. One of the biggest keys to a successful fest are the volunteers to do this. Obviously you don't want the organizers to have to travel 1000 Miles to the location so it should be within a reasonable distance for meetings, meetings with the hotel, etc.

Also if you have some new ideas to add to the fest, throw them in. It helps make every fest unique.

sk8rdi16

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
I missed this year's fest, just got the TDI in July. But I am up for a NOLA Fest. I could surely help out. If there is a group forming for NOLA count me in! If not, I'll be attending TDIFest where ever it is next year!

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
eluwak said:
A couple of things... It's nice to suggest an area folks but people there have to step up to it. It not like we magically pick a spot somewhere and the fest just happens.

I couldn't have said it better. Ideas are great - but ACTIONS speak LOUDER than words.

We can only have a good event if we have a good proposal with good ideas, and a organizing staff commited to pulling it off.

No staff = no Fest.

Like I said, keep the ideas coming...but only with effort will one of them grow legs...

Last edited:

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Thunderstruck said:
Cincinnati. Cinti puts on the largest fireworks show in the country every year on the day before Labor Day. Once you see 6 barges worth of fireworks go off in 30 minutes, you'll understand! It's a nice city, centrally located and there's lots to do.
Every year I inch a bit closer to pushing the CinciTDI group toward hosting the TDIFest. My excuse has always been that Labor Day is our family reunion AND our annual EAA Chapter FlyIn/Pancake breakfast. I haven't figured out how to blend all three events yet, but someday it might be possible. Maybe a Saturday morning at the AirForce Museum in Dayton, a 'Shine n Show' at a local Old Fashion Airshow at 4PM in the afternoon where about a 1000 spectators could look at all our TDIs, free camping and donation corn roast at the airport for those wanting to 'tent' it, Pancake breakfast the next morning and a trip to see the 'Best Fireworks display in the Nation' on Sunday night? ;)

I regret missing the east coast TDIFest this year as there are so many of you that I'd enjoy meeting ... then again ... there is always next year. Thanks for all the great photos and comments so the rest of us could enjoy the gathering online. By the way Thunderstruck, you are right about the RiverFest/Fireworks in Cincinnati! (also ... correct my TDIFest 'promotional' blog post if you see a problem!) :D

Closey

TDI
Golf Gls, 2005, Black
we should have the fest near an ALMS event then we can cheer the Diesels to victory. And Toronto would be perfect since the ALMS race at Mosport is on labour day weekend

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
You can't limit the Fest location to the middle 2/3 of the country. Then you're asking the same people to host. Those on the left and right coasts couldn't be on the committee and there are a lot of nice possible locations on both coasts. It would be nice if we could all make it to all the Fests, but that's just not reality. If you want it closer to home, form a committee and submit a proposal.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
As always, Riverfest rocked! This time I was a little west of the action in Covington. I was in Florence, so 275 is easy to get to for going home the next day.
For the adventerous types, don't forget the Anderson ferry from the airport.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Clarification!!

meganuke said:
You can't limit the Fest location to the middle 2/3 of the country. Then you're asking the same people to host. Those on the left and right coasts couldn't be on the committee and there are a lot of nice possible locations on both coasts. It would be nice if we could all make it to all the Fests, but that's just not reality. If you want it closer to home, form a committee and submit a proposal.
(***!!)
Please CHILL.

My suggestion is/was as follows;

If you were to number the geographical location of the US/Canada such
that California etc. was #1 (being leftmost on the map) MO is #5 (being in
the center) and any state on the east coast being a #10 (being as far
right as you can get without treading water.. Ya with me so far??

So far all Fests have been in a #9 or 10 state? Right?

How about a 2 or 3 state? or a 7 or 8 state?

If it were in a #1 state (anything hard on the coast, not just CA.)do
you think anyone is going to swim in...? Same thing for a #10 location!!

If you move in from the coast a little way, you have the POTENTIAL of
attracting more attendees.

I proposed LIMITING nothing.

If you think Vegas or Denver or MN. or Branson or Wichita or OH. don't
have the facilties to handle 400 TDIers and their cars... well, you just
don't get out much.:D

If one year it was held in a 2-3 state or area and the next in a 7-8 state
or area, that would NOT be the same people... (Jeez!):rolleyes:

I already stated I do not want to host a fest. It does not need to stay on
either coast or the middle more than one year at a time....

Move the thing around! lets have some bids on not just next year, But
several years ahead. The longer the lead time, the better you can make
it!!

Did I mention that food, fuel, and lodging are generally cheaper the
farther you get from either coast????

Ohio (think Air Force Museum!) would be great! Longaberger baskets
are 1 1/2 hours from Dayton (I think). Wives will love that!

CO. is lovely and set up for tourists, Golden CO. has one of the best
train museums in the country.

I am not trying to take away anything from anybody! I am not trying
to get the fest to come to my state! or even the state next to mine!

If you can help with suggestions or comments please do!:)
If you just want to whine, stick it where the sun don't shine. (poetry!):eek:

Peace!

Bill

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Sootman said:
I like the idea of the mid-U.S./Canada area. Toronto is a great city as well as Montreal. Frankly my buck will go further in Canada, I like the food, and the people along with the highways. So there's my vote. maybe I can make it next year.
Toronto has already been done - the 2003 Fest was in Burlington, Ontario (just west of Toronto) in case you weren't aware. I loved Canada so much I've gone back every year since then - don't need a Fest to enjoy it! Would definitely consider another north of the border Fest for sure!

As Tomo has pointed out many of the comments in this thread have been covered in some form in regards to the next Fest and there is nothing new to add to this. I know since I commented in some earlier threads and see much of the same thinking/discussion repeating here.

In my opinion Hamsterdiesel said it best: No staff (local volunteers) = no Fest. Want a Fest in your area? Find a few like-minded buddies, think up a proposal and send it to Fred - it may become reality!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
meganuke said:
Or move to Branson Mo. :)

I can just see Branson becoming the center of TDI dom just so people will always be within shooting distance of a TDI fest.:)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Whitedog said:
I can just see Branson becoming the center of TDI dom just so people will always be within shooting distance of a TDI fest.:)
He's only nine years old and doesn't even own a Tdi yet...but sure, when he's old enough to drive I'll let him be the center of Tdi-dom;)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
nicklockard said:
He's only nine years old and doesn't even own a Tdi yet...but sure, when he's old enough to drive I'll let him be the center of Tdi-dom;)
:p...

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
40x40: send me your proposal!
The key here are the organizers. Put a successful bid together that gets chosen and you can name the location. FYI the 2003 Toronto bid included track time, but things like that need a lot of early registrations to take that commitment on. Suds and group wanted that to work that in, but lack of early registrations removed that from the plans, so don't forget to register early. Not only is it cheaper for you but helps the organizers tremendously in the planning. Having the number of people at an event double in a few days does strain plans.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
I wasn't able to pick up one of the black TDIFest shirts with all the logo's on it. Is there any way I can get one of these???

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
mrchill is the person to contact. Send a PM.
mrschill also.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
OK AS Fred indicated send a proposal.
Fred Velvetfoot Lug nut PeterV have been to every Fest. There are others that have been to many more than one. It is commitment. You have NO idea how much. Lug Nut and I have done 2 Fests. We are now on vacation.

Remember this is how we keep the site ad free. It is easy to send edicts from afar. NO one has stepped up to the plate from anywhere but those that have been selected.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
PeterV said:
mrchill is the person to contact. Send a PM.
mrschill also.
Thanks Peter, I'll give Chris a shout.