Future maintenance expenses CKRA

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
After crunching some numbers on the buyback, I was curious of anyone else has considered the cost of maintaining a high mileage CKRA TDI. My '13 Passat has 75K miles on her and I drive about 250-500 miles a week. So far I have had no significant repairs. Reading info on PM's I a curious what replacing the DPF would cost sometime after 100K?? miles +. I have read some comments that replacing the emissions hardware on TDI's can get very expensive.

This gets more interesting if VW stops selling diesels in the US. I have been down the road of having a an oddball car to maintain. Not fun as a daily driver. Parts can get expensive and hard to find. I know there are a lot of older TDI's out there that may soldier on for a while. Not sure how many CKRA's will be left in service in a couple of years.

Another question is if and when a fix will be blessed. There is no emissions test in Texas so my Passat could run as is for the life of the car so far as I am concerned.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
No way in H*** I'm going to allow vw to scrap my TDI, I plan to get the $5K then after the 120k extended is up grab a Malone tune and rack up the 500,000 miles that I had planned on. :cool:
I plan on a set of injectors, turbo and a DMF between 120K and 250K

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
+1 on that. Was on the fence for about 8 hours. Once I crunched numbers, it made sense to get the 5K and drive it.
I have 86K on the car, and my TCO over the next 3 years is expected to be 11K (Mainly depreciation, maintenance and minor repairs; not including the payout). With Payout ~5-6K.
I am hard pressed to find a car with that kind of TCO, esp. with the miles I put (24K/yr).
Malone tunes, and DPF delete are in my future...

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I hear you guys and I've been on the fence about this. In my case I would get about $7,500.00 if I accept the fix. The extended warranty is very attractive when you consider the cost of the repairs on these vehicles, and, I love the car and it already has everything I want. The theory being wait until the warranty is up then get a re-tune, maybe even delete the DPF and EGR. Even in MD, which is a CARB state, I doubt there will be enough TDIs left to worry about ever starting to check emissions on them. My problem with this is the time between now and then. I've already got 28K on the car, and with no real timeframe in place on the "fix", I could be out of warranty before the new extended warranty even starts.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have over 200K on mine and plan on keeping it. I've had the turbo, DEF heater and engine wiring harnesses replaced so the only other big ticket item is the DPF and I'll worry about that when it comes up.

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I have over 200K on mine and plan on keeping it. I've had the turbo, DEF heater and engine wiring harnesses replaced so the only other big ticket item is the DPF and I'll worry about that when it comes up.
The HPFP might be the most expensive time bomb in these cars.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Repairs

My DEF heater was replaced when my '13 was torpedoed by an old Nissan last fall. That leaves the turbo on my list

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Our car has 100,000 miles right now, and at 120,000 miles, it will be due for the following items:

• 10K oil change
  • 40K DSG service
  • new tires
  • pollen filter
  • fuel filter

In addition to that, the following items will be out of warranty

• heater core
  • turbocharger (although that will get a renewed 48,000 mile warranty as a part of the fix)

At 130,000 miles, it will also be due for a timing belt, another oil change, a brake fluid change, and maybe brake pads.

So while all of these things are routine maintenance, it adds up to a significant amount of parts and labor that could potentially be avoided by opting for a buyback.

Other considerations for us (slightly off topic) are how a fix will be implemented, how many trips to the dealer will be required (at least two), and how competent VW's technicians will be at implementing the fix.

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to make a decision at this point until some additional details come out about the fix. You don't get your compensation money until they fix your car, and at this point there is no approved fix, nor a real timeframe for that. In the meantime, you'll rack up the miles, continue with your maintenance costs, risk getting the car totaled, and take your chances on things breaking out of warranty.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Correct! Great advice. Sit tight and watch this all unfold... it will continue for several months before we're even given official options with concrete numbers.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Correct! Great advice. Sit tight and watch this all unfold... it will continue for several months before we're even given official options with concrete numbers.
Great advice and I am "sitting tight" and not putting many miles on my Passat. I was fortunate enough to pick up a MKIV Jetta on the cheap to resurrect and make my daily driver in February of this year to drive while the Passat is sitting tight.

Since the miles on the Passat are low (26K), I don't want to put it in harm's way or roll up a lot of miles while this play unfolds.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
The HPFP might be the most expensive time bomb in these cars.
I don't consider the HPFP a time bomb. The HPFP's that have failed without an outside influence, such as misfueling, in the Passats are extremely low.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We've had no trouble with our Passat in 44K miles and 3 years, other than an NOx sensor replaced under warranty. On the other hand, long-term maintenance is an issue. We're now covered to 10/120 on the turbo and heater core on this car, but there are other things. Given what the buyback would afford, it doesn't make any sense to turn it down. If we drove out the car until the last time to turn it in (Dec. 2018) it will have been buying a brand new car and driving it nearly free except for fuel and maintenance for 5 years.* And that's a pretty good deal. Will probably turn it in before the powertrain warranty expires, though.

*Yes, I understand that the car being totaled in a wreck would mean we'd get less money from insurance, but we all take chances every day, and I'm not even considering parking the car and doing without its utility until turn in.

weightloss400

TDI
2013 Passat sel
I'm debating as well , sound of no car payment sounds good . Although this is my dream car and I love it . It does have over 100k and I bought it used , I could see myself selling it and getting a used 2008-2010 Jetta TDI 6 speed .

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
fix warranties...

according to DOJ...ALL warranties will be for an additional 10/120K miles...covering any and ALL parts related to engine mechanicals(long Block) Fuel delivery system including HPFP, and all emissions parts, PDF, urea injectors, exhaust flappers valves, sensors, anything to do with emission RELATED parts... so even modules for emissions would be covered.SO whats bad about about that? if you have over 80K on car you still get the warranty... part of fix. Don't think VW would balk to much.... if so could be in violation of court orders on anything emissions or higher temps to engine systems related.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
according to DOJ...ALL warranties will be for an additional 10/120K miles...covering any and ALL parts related to engine mechanicals(long Block) Fuel delivery system including HPFP, and all emissions parts, PDF, urea injectors, exhaust flappers valves, sensors, anything to do with emission RELATED parts... so even modules for emissions would be covered.SO whats bad about about that? if you have over 80K on car you still get the warranty... part of fix. Don't think VW would balk to much.... if so could be in violation of court orders on anything emissions or higher temps to engine systems related.
Do you have a link to that? The other post I read that relates to this says that the warranty is concurrent, that it will run 10/120 from when the car was originally sold new. This is a big difference, and could make a difference whether some people keep their cars or not.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks

Makes a big difference, thanks

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Most of higher-mileage cars, upon getting the fix implemented, will get additional 4Y/48K wty.

Low mileage cars will instead be at 10/120K.

Say u come in at 60K miles, for a fix. 48K miles added to it, will be 108K, which is less than 120K, so your wty is 120K, as it is higher. Years dont come into the picture as no car will be older than ~6 YO by the time fix is available.

Or, one comes in at 120K miles (ideal case, as you dont lapse in coverage at all), then you are good till 120K + 48K = 168K miles.

For those of us that get 20K/Y, the additional wty will be good for about 2Y+change.

Plenty of time for any fix-related gremlins to surface.

It is possible that the fix will come with a brand new DPF included.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most of higher-mileage cars, upon getting the fix implemented, will get additional 4Y/48K wty.

Low mileage cars will instead be at 10/120K.

Say u come in at 60K miles, for a fix. 48K miles added to it, will be 108K, which is less than 120K, so your wty is 120K, as it is higher. Years dont come into the picture as no car will be older than ~6 YO by the time fix is available.

Or, one comes in at 120K miles (ideal case, as you dont lapse in coverage at all), then you are good till 120K + 48K = 168K miles.

For those of us that get 20K/Y, the additional wty will be good for about 2Y+change.

Plenty of time for any fix-related gremlins to surface.

It is possible that the fix will come with a brand new DPF included.
So— basically, it IS a concurrent warranty to 10 / 120 from when the car was first sold new, (aka pretty much the miles on the odometer depending on how many it was delivered with) with a guarantee of nothing less than 4/48 beyond where the car is when the fix is taken.
If it's this, it is not attractive enough to make me consider the fix.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
...So while all of these things are routine maintenance, it adds up to a significant amount of parts and labor that could potentially be avoided by opting for a buyback.

Other considerations for us (slightly off topic) are how a fix will be implemented, how many trips to the dealer will be required (at least two), and how competent VW's technicians will be at implementing the fix.
I'm exactly of the same mind as you guys. Add to it: "what is the likelihood that we will be able to have a car that resembles this one after the fix is implemented and will we be able to get a tuner to make us whole and happy with performance?"

For example, my MKIV has had EGR delete for 200k - if it didn't, it would have been long gone by now.

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Most of higher-mileage cars, upon getting the fix implemented, will get additional 4Y/48K <snip>
"Upon getting the fix" is also key here for many. When is this "fix" really coming? Stage 1 and then stage 2 of it? You won't get any money until the fix is implemented. How many miles will you be driving until then? Are you out of warranty during that time?

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
The 2013 and up CKRA have a lower fuel pressure than the 2012 and earlier TDIs = less HPFP failures. The extended warranty on the fuel pump covered only the 2012s because of this.

Some owners have failures. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=460419

In threadzilla Part II, a member quoted the proposed "emission fix" included increased fuel pressure (and applicable warranty on the fuel system). A final fix and details won't be know until next year.

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
DOJ doc says 10/120K from time of fix/upgrade to carb specs is applied, not concurrent to exsisting warranties. when upgrades become available.... the sooner, the cheaper for VW. So it said, seems
terms... for 2012 or newer cars upgrade is a hop, and a skip away... non def cars..... sell it back and run.

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
"Upon getting the fix" is also key here for many. When is this "fix" really coming? Stage 1 and then stage 2 of it? You won't get any money until the fix is implemented. How many miles will you be driving until then? Are you out of warranty during that time?
original MFG warranties may expire... upgrade requires a complete new warranty.

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
theres no final decision until 12/2018 when you either have to sell or upgrade... best thing for now is wait and see.. true VW lovers will keep car, because VW is not a shoddy car builder... whiney owners will sell and say it gave me a headache. But probably most decisions in life give them a headache.

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
as for me.. keeping car.... in 12/2018 i will make a decision.... oh give me money.. or leave me the hell alone. 2 year old car...26K miles... i'm happy.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
sounds like ea288 owners will have one rare car indeed :D
I forsee fully electric NMS on the drawing board

Kimo

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI w/Sun&NAV
Question???? What if I just paid $680, a week ago, to replace the Adblue injector? Do i get a refund? Just wondering....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Question???? What if I just paid $680, a week ago, to replace the Adblue injector? Do i get a refund? Just wondering....
I would be raising Cain with VW customer service. :eek: