Fuse 5 keeps blowing

jmchugh588

Veteran Member
TDI
golf alh, audi a4, vw transporter
Hi have a problem with fuse 5 on my seat leon mk1 tdi. It keeps blowing the fuse only when I start to drive the car.. everything works when the car is idling fuse does not blow . I know its connected to climate control cruise control, oil level sensor and temperature sensor anthing else ? I have tried disconnecting oil and temperature sensor made no difference . Getting no fault codes . Any one came across this problem before ?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
My notes says fuse 5 is for: Comfort system, cruise control, Climatronic, A/C, heated seat control modules, automatic day/night interior mirror, control module for multi-function steering wheel, control unit in steering wheel

jmchugh588

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks . All above works perfectly when car idles not sure about cruise control. Any one know if a speed sensor is connected in that fuse, maybe for cruise control as it just happens to blown when car starts to move

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I believe the speed sensor should only go to the ECU.

My notes of the fuse:
5. Comfort system, cruise control, Climatronic, A/C, heated seat control modules, automatic day/night interior mirror, control module for multi-function steering wheel, control unit in steering wheel (7.5A).

It also feeds the outside mirror control in the door.
Wires going from the door jam to inside the door are known to fray and break.

Problem with the clock spring in the steering wheel shorting.

Have you done any work on the car lately?

This sounds like a hard one to diagnose.
Sorry didn't mean to be a pessimist. :(

Keep in mind I'm not saying any of the above -are- the cause.

Last edited:

jmchugh588

Veteran Member
TDI
Tell me about it , it's a nightmare to diagnose especially when everything is working at idle. Not sure about steering clock will look into it. Only recently work done was gearlinkage adjustment .

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check any wire harnesses in that area that you moved or possibly bumped.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, that's all there is for it. Regardless of whether the devices work, something is going to ground or otherwise completing a circuit above the fuse rating.

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi wagon
Need help

Any new info on this? I have a 2003 Jetta TDi doing the same thing. Fuse blows as soon as you turn on the key. With an amp meter installed amps at first peek at 19 then drop down to 0.6. Once amps fall back down you can install a 7.5 amp fuse and it’s fine. But if you have the fuse in before you start the car if just blows it.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
One way I find to troubleshoot direct to ground type of shorts is to hook up either a circuit breaker in place of the fuse (it will start turning on and off and is cheaper than fuses) or something like a light bulb that will take the load and not do damage to the wires. Now that the circuit is loaded and the current is flowing you can take your time and start unhooking stuff until the light or circuit breaker goes off. If a short is in the wires (like a mouse that chewed them up or in the door) then it can be a little more difficult.
If this goes to the door I would unhook that plug first as they do break.
Look at the diagrams and disconnect everything that relates to that wire and you should zero in on the problem.

I had a beetle that was always shorting out the ABS fuse. Found out it was the A/C pressure sensor shorted out internally. The Jetta diagram I had didn't show the Beetle had those wires on the same feed. That one was such a pain I could not get to the wires in the loom and actually traced the wire itself to the short.
Usually the problem is simple once you find it but just take it one step at a time and it will make sense.

msaethre

TDI
Golf Mk6 TDI DSG
I’m not sure if there is a thread for this, but I have a 2010 Jetta TDI that has the right side marker not working. I’ve checked the bulb and even swapped it, so I know it’s not that. I’ve checked power running to that wire and see that there is no power. I can’t seem to find the fuse diagram for the side marker. If anyone can guide me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Personally for finding a short I had great success by using a length of wire and a spade terminal, plugging it into the fuse output side then to the multimeter set to ohms, the other lead I put to the battery negative.

Then all I had to do was wiggle wires associated with that fuse.

Mine ended up being a tiny nick in a wire for the egr, it had been rubbing on the intake manifold.

But yeh, after about 20 fuses that was my fix lol

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi wagon
Personally for finding a short I had great success by using a length of wire and a spade terminal, plugging it into the fuse output side then to the multimeter set to ohms, the other lead I put to the battery negative.

Then all I had to do was wiggle wires associated with that fuse.

Mine ended up being a tiny nick in a wire for the egr, it had been rubbing on the intake manifold.

But yeh, after about 20 fuses that was my fix lol

Was that blowing the #5 fuse?

Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, that's what he's saying. Any signal wire connected direct to ground can draw too much amperage. Your clue is the devices on that circuit. As these cars get older it seems like half the issues we see are these damned small wires getting damaged.

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi wagon
So just a follow up. The fan control module case was cracked and water got in. Also the large fan was seized. The problem for the fuse was the module though, it had rusted and bridged a gap across 2 terminals causing a short. New module and no more blowing the #5 fuse!!!

tjaski

TDI
2.0 tdi tiguan
Tell me about it , it's a nightmare to diagnose especially when everything is working at idle. Not sure about steering clock will look into it. Only recently work done was gearlinkage adjustment .
Did you ever sort this out, I have the same issue

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Did you ever sort this out, I have the same issue
You needs to go thru the same process as the previous posts describe. Identify circuits (devices), check one by one. Wire diagram is gonna help a lot. You're looking for wire damage usually, of course water will also short things out. Electrics are always tedious.

tjaski

TDI
2.0 tdi tiguan
canbus fault replaced, everything works, starts idles.....move of blows f14, disconnect abs cable to abs unit, runs, drives and doesn't blow.
Sent abs for diagnostics, came back nothing wrong....so back to blowing fuse only when connected and motion.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does the fuse blow before moving or does it take a while after you start driving?
Scrutinize the wire going to the ABS unit.