Fuse 37 blows…..

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Trying to find what fuse #37 does/goes to on a 2000 vw TDI manual.

I did a bunch of work on my daughters car the last few days and when my daughter came to get her car , she went to put the radio on and no radio…… went through the fuse panel and found #37 blown……installed a new 10 amp fuse and immediately blew when car turned to the on position.
Fuse #42 seems to be the radio fuse and that’s good.
I didn’t do any work in the car, all work was done for an inoperable a/c , that was a low Freon charge and a broken radiator fan switch wire , an oil change , rear brakes , and slow drivers side window going up……that was just lubing the felt tracks.

I’ve tested everything on the car that I can actuate with a switch or ops test…….everything works except the radio.

Just a side note….the radio was working before i worked on the car, was in it for my test drive with daughter when she showed me her issues.

And where in gods name do you find what fuses does what in the Bentley……..looked but didnt see anything…….

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
#37 also is involved in the radio function. I keep this on my phone in the notes after leaving for town a couple of years ago on Christmas Eve and I couldn’t shut my rear wiper off.

Terminal (86s) on radio, instrument cluster

I’m not sure what 86s is.

Top left to right by collum

1. Washer nozzle heaters, glove compartment light, memory seat control module (10A).

2. Turn signal lights (10A).

3. Fog light relay, instrument panel light dimmer switch (5A).

4. License plate light (5A).

5. Comfort system, cruise control, Climatronic, A/C, heated seat control modules, automatic day/night interior mirror, control module for multi-function steering wheel, control unit in steering wheel (7.5A).o,

6. Central locking system (5A).

7. Back-up lights, speedometer vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (10A).

8. Open

9. Anti-lock brake system (ABS) (5A).

10. Engine control module (ECM): gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine, Model Year 2000 > (5A).

11. Instrument cluster, shift lock solenoid (5A).

12. Data Link Connector (DLC) power supply (7.5A).

13. Brake tail lights (10A).

14. Interior lights, central locking system (10A).

15. Instrument cluster, transmission control module (TCM) (5A).

16. A/C clutch, after-run coolant pump (10A).

17. Open.

18. Headlight high beam, right (10A).

19. Headlight high beam, left (10A).

D

20. Headlight low beam, right (15A).

21. Headlight low beam, left (15A).

22. Parking lights right, side marker right (5A).

23. Parking lights left, side marker left (5A).

Bottom left to right

24. Windshield and rear window washer pump, windshield wiper motor (20A).

25. Fresh air blower, Climatronic, A/C (25A).

26. Rear window defogger (25A).

27. Motor for rear windshield wiper (15A).

28. Fuel pump (FP) (15A).

29. Engine control module (ECM) gasoline engine (15A); diesel engine (10A).

30. Power sunroof control module (20A).

31. Transmission control module (TCM) (20A).

32. Injectors: gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine (15A).

33. Headlight washer system (20A). Open

34. Engine control elements (10A).

35. 12 V power outlet (in luggage compartment) (30A).

36. Fog lights (15A).

37. Terminal (86S) on radio, Instrument cluster (10A).

38. Central locking system (with power windows), lugging age compartment light, remote/fuel tank door, motor to unlock rear lid (15A).

39. Emerggency flashers (15A).

40. Dual tone horn (20A).

41. Cigarette lighter (15A).

42. Radio (25A).

43. Engine control elements (10A).

44. Heated seats (15A).

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
There is a table at the beginning of the Wire Diagrams.
Thanks Bob…..pages were stuck together , I found the table .

Any reason why the start switch might be the culprit?
Fuse 37 comes off the ignition switch then goes to the radio. Like I stated before fuse #42 ( for the radio ) is intact.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
.............snip.................and found #37 blown……installed a new 10 amp fuse and immediately blew.............snip.................
Has this been resolved? I might guess the main radio fuse is for power to the radio and 37 provides signal, maybe from the ignition. Track it down in the wire diagram, then inspect those wires/connects for damage. Odd thing is none of the work that was done seems to have anything to do with the radio circuits.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My daughter is currently driving her car……need her to have a day off before I can’t work it again. Just for S&G I’ve ordered an ignition switch.

That’s what has me puzzled. Tracing fuse 37 comes from the ignition switch then goes to the radio.
Fuse 42 is the radio fuse , and that’s not blown.
Nothing was touched other than starting the car for troubleshooting the a/c issue.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Does that rad fan work after fixing wire? Maybe pull that fuse ot relay to see if it has something to do with it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes the fans now work as per Dans write up on testing.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If the radio in the car is the Monsoon unit there is a fuse on the back of it.
Don't remember what it was for.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the radio in the car is the Monsoon unit there is a fuse on the back of it.
Don't remember what it was for.
No it’s not a monsoon unit , when I got the car 3 years ago I installed a radio from Cutchfields , it’s been working flawlessly since install , actually worked two days before I worked on the A/C issue.
Still wait for daughter to give me the car to further troubleshoot issue ,