Funny TDI tale of the week...

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Well, let me tell y'all a tale.

A couple of months ago I noticed a small oil leak around the oil filler cap on my car. Just a light film of oil around the opening.

With 500K on the engine, I figured the gasket in the cap was probably hard as a rock and not sealing well anymore.

Bought a new gasket and installed it.

Leak stopped for a couple of months, then returned. It was larger this time, as well.

This had me baffled. I inspected the gasket, but you really can't install it wrong.

I decided to buy a new cap from the dealer, figuring maybe the two little spring steel "clips" on the cap that hold the cap tightly to the cover were old and weak. Or maybe the aftermarket gasket wasn't correctly sized.

Installed the new cap. No difference. Now I'm really getting annoyed.

So today I decided to check the surface of the opening in the valve cover where the gasket rides, thinking perhaps there was a nick on that surface that was causing the leak. Kinda grasping at straws here.

I pull off the cap and clean the area around the opening. No sign of any nicks in the sealing surface and the gasket looks fine.

As I clean off the rest of the oil, I notice a dark stain of some sort on the side of the opening that won't wipe off.

Well, of course it won't wipe off - it's a dang hole!

Apparently, that large rubber ring/buffer thing that sits on the valve cover had rubbed a hole in the metal. Not surprising after the tens of thousands of hours of vibrations it takes to get 500K miles. This is the goofy little stuff that happens when you run a car to very high mileage! Got a good laugh of out it, now that I knew what the issue was.

I cleaned the area thoroughly and applied a coat of JB Weld over the hole. Hopefully, that'll hold. If not, I'll pick up a used valve cover.

Ah, the joys of car maintenance!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Wow, that's crazy.

I throw those covers away, bloody annoying, :p

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Apparently, that large rubber ring/buffer thing that sits on the valve cover had rubbed a hole in the metal. Not surprising after the tens of thousands of hours of vibrations it takes to get 500K miles. This is the goofy little stuff that happens when you run a car to very high mileage! Got a good laugh of out it, now that I knew what the issue was.

I cleaned the area thoroughly and applied a coat of JB Weld over the hole. Hopefully, that'll hold. If not, I'll pick up a used valve cover.

Ah, the joys of car maintenance!
Fantastic...you've worn out a valve cover...lol. Great story.:D

I heard a co-worker of mine complaining a few weeks back about his wife's car developing a rather nasty oil leak. You'll laugh, but it just so happens that the oil filter had rusted out and started leaking...lol. How long do you have to leave an oil filter installed before it rusts out?...lol.

Well, I see a new valve cover in your future...but at 500k...your current "vented" cover doesn't owe you anything;).

Rem

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I've seen deformed lower plastic skid pans wear holes in the oil pan. Particularly BRM. When I see it happening I JB weld a penny onto the wear spot.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
You throw the valve covers away? What do you use in place of them? Wouldn't it be a rather large mess without a valve cover? And the loss of oil - you couldn't go to a quickie mart without losing half your oil! :eek:
Hahhhaahaa, good one, :p

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Well, I see a new valve cover in your future...but at 500k...your current "vented" cover doesn't owe you anything;).
This is attitude you develop with the high mileage car. When something breaks, you say "well, I can't complain about this part failing - at least I got my money's worth out of it".

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I heard a co-worker of mine complaining a few weeks back about his wife's car developing a rather nasty oil leak. You'll laugh, but it just so happens that the oil filter had rusted out and started leaking...lol. How long do you have to leave an oil filter installed before it rusts out?...lol.
I had the filter on the power divider rust out on me. Fortunately, it started leaking as I brought it in to the Kwiki-Lube for an oil change, and they had a replacement available.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
That guy has never changed (or had changed) the oil in his wife's car. He will drive it on what came in it until it hits 50,000 miles (with, maybe, but maybe not an occasional addition) or the warranty runs out, then trade it in on a new one. Pity the poof fool who buys THAT car.