Funk switch - any ideas on how to wire this up

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
The Gamma uses ground to mute, so the Navi may be the same. I hope it doesn't fry your navi if something goes wrong. I'd use some small fuses inline when testing it all out to be safe. Good luck and you're on your own now! hehe

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
Mike, 1 and 2 only control backlighting. 5 and 6 are connected when the switch is engaged. Putting 5 to GND and 6 to the radio should be good enough.

As always, be very careful - normally on paper you shouldn't have a problem - but mtltdi's suggestion is a wise one just to CYA.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
bluecollarpilot said:
Where do I buy the little connectors that slide into the switch?

Thank you
Mine came with the switch, but I have yet to take the time to sort out the proper repair wire to fit it.

Correction. It would appear that it will take a 000-979-135 connector, though I need to manually verify this.

Last edited:

cosmic

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver Arrow
bluecollarpilot said:
Where do I buy the little connectors that slide into the switch?

Thank you
It looks to me like the connectors on the switch might be about the same size as regular spade connectors. One might be able to hardwire to it that way.

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
cosmic said:
It looks to me like the connectors on the switch might be about the same size as regular spade connectors. One might be able to hardwire to it that way.
When I relocated the Emergency flasher switch, I found that the spade connectors are close enough to work just fine.

cosmic

Veteran Member
TDI
I wired up my funk switch a wee bit ago, as such:

Pin 1 - Illumination (dimmer) circuit (+)
Pin 2 - Illumination ground (-)
Pin 5 - 12V remote from aftermarket radio
Pin 6 - Amp 12V remote turnon input

The switch works great as a on/off for my amp.

The lighting is all in amber.
The level of illumination is as follows:
IC = off, Funk=off : unlit
IC = on, Funk=off : low amber
IC = off, Funk=on : Hi amber
IC = on, Funk=on : Hi amber

Where IC is the illumination circuit (dash lights) and funk is whether the button is pressed on or off. The Hi amber, Lo amber approximately matches the re defog lighting.

The button is depressed slightly when on, and flush when off. I will try to post some pics later.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
DanielRamirez said:
1 Dimmer Light
2 Ground
5 +12V
6 Output

works for me!
This is how I'm trying to use the switch but I've found I get 5v on pin 6 when the interior lights are on. If they are off, I'll get 0v with the switch off of course. Anyone else see this? I'm questioning getting a 10v diode or so to put on pin 6 so there is 0volts unless the voltage goes over 10, in which case would be 12 in all circumstances. Anybody else find 5 volts on the output with the lights on?

whitehatch

TDI
None
Hmm, this switch sounds like it must be wired exactly the same as the timed rear defroster switch. You MUST have a resistive load to ground on the output of the switch at all times otherwise the lights do not function correctly. Power up only the illumination leads and the yellow LED comes on dim instead of red. Try hooking the output to ground and then applying power to the illumination leads, it should light up red. The yellow LED should only be on when the switch is depressed. Best use of the switch would be to activate a relay which will provide a constant resistive load to ground. Why resistive load? I tried using other things, such as LEDs, and the switch does not work correctly. I suspect that the input on an amp does not provide the correct ground path.

DAFitzpatrick

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4D [Hatch]
Is this switch available for a 2010 Golf TDI (Canada). I'd like to hook it it up to turn on my Sub woofer. What kind of load can this switch manage without burning out?

Thanks for any information provided.

Dave.

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
I personally wouldn't risk putting the whole load of a subwoofer amp through the funk switch as they are hard to come by. instead you could wire it to a relay that is rated for the correct load. just my $0.02

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
DAFitzpatrick said:
Is this switch available for a 2010 Golf TDI (Canada). I'd like to hook it it up to turn on my Sub woofer. What kind of load can this switch manage without burning out?
Thanks for any information provided.
Dave.
Are you talking about an aftermarket setup?

If so, the amp for the subwoofer has a 12v signal lead going to it that typically comes from your head unit. You could run that lead through the funk switch since there essentially zero current being drawn from it.

DAFitzpatrick

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4D [Hatch]
The Head is part of the media package with the touch screen and 6 cd changer. I would be putting in my own amps and speakers including the sub.

So you are saying the Head can control a Sub? Which means the Head can be wired to the Funk switch and then to the amp to turn the sub on and off?

The reason for doing this is to allow me to remove the sub when I need the cargo space and not short out the amp.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I'm still would like to get the Funk switch for my Golf if it is available? I'll hook it up to something ;-)

Regards Dave.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Its hard to hijack a four year old thread.. lol.

But I for one am glad you did as I for sure have never heard of a "funk" switch!

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
As an aside, I once saw a replacement panel, from a German website, available for MkIVs that will accommodate two extra switches. This panel replaced the panel to the right of the steering column, and to the left of the radio/HVAC controls. Just in case anyone was running out of space for switches.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
whitehatch said:
Hmm, this switch sounds like it must be wired exactly the same as the timed rear defroster switch. You MUST have a resistive load to ground on the output of the switch at all times otherwise the lights do not function correctly. Power up only the illumination leads and the yellow LED comes on dim instead of red. Try hooking the output to ground and then applying power to the illumination leads, it should light up red. The yellow LED should only be on when the switch is depressed. Best use of the switch would be to activate a relay which will provide a constant resistive load to ground. Why resistive load? I tried using other things, such as LEDs, and the switch does not work correctly. I suspect that the input on an amp does not provide the correct ground path.
I hope you don't mind if I post your diagram Patrick:

The only part that stumps me is "resistive load to ground on the output of the switch at all times". Does it simply mean that whatever is on the output of the switch, must have resistance and must be tied to ground in all conditions? If so, does this resistance have to be greater than 556 ohms?

Last edited:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
FlyTDI Guy said:
The rear defroster switch comes in two flavors. One is just an on/off switch, the other has the timer built in to shut off after xxx minutes. As the switch has 4 terminals, the purpose of two of them is an enigma. Lighting is probably internal to the switch, could just be a DPST switch.
IF the switch is like the ASR switch ( picture link does not work) then 2 termimals are for the on /off control of the ASR, the other 2 hook up to the lighting control so you can dim the light the same as the dash.

whitehatch

TDI
None
Birdman said:
IF the switch is like the ASR switch ( picture link does not work) then 2 termimals are for the on /off control of the ASR, the other 2 hook up to the lighting control so you can dim the light the same as the dash.
The ASR/ESP switch is momentary and does not change color whereas the funk switch is latching and turns yellow in the on state. The wiring diagram I created (shown above in farfromovin's post) shows how the switch needs to be wired to function properly. The load must be resistive and provide a direct path to ground. This switch appears to have been created for a very specific function and was designed to be as cheap as possible (probably due to low production numbers). A simple transistor circuit could have been used to switch between the two LEDs and ouput +12V for whatever purpose but this would have increased the cost, manufacturing time and part count.

Pin 1 - This is the dimmer input for the red LED.
Pin 2 - This is the ground for the yellow LED only. This will not ground the red LED properly.
Pin 5 - +12V input to power the yellow LED and output switched power.
Pin 6 - This is the output of the switch and must be connected to ground through a resistive load (such as a relay, light bulb or heating element). The red LED is grounded through this pin. If you connect this to something weird, such as the remote turn on for an amp, then the switch will not illuminate correctly.

Farfromovin said:
The only part that stumps me is "resistive load to ground on the output of the switch at all times". Does it simply mean that whatever is on the output of the switch, must have resistance and must be tied to ground in all conditions? If so, does this resistance have to be greater than 556 ohms?
You are correct that whatever is on the output of the switch must have resistance and be tied to ground in all conditions. So far my experience has shown that the resistance of the load isn't too important. I have had the switch function correctly, even when dimmed, while using a light bulb and a relay as the load.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
whitehatch said:
(snipped)If you connect this to something COOL, such as the remote turn on for an amp, then the switch will not illuminate correctly.(snipped)
There, fixed it for you :p Ok then, sounds like we can hook up the funk to ANYTHING, so long as the funk goes to a relay, and the relay runs the cool stuff :D

cosmic

Veteran Member
TDI
whitehatch said:
The ASR/ESP switch is momentary and does not change color whereas the funk switch is latching and turns yellow in the on state. The wiring diagram I created (shown above in farfromovin's post) shows how the switch needs to be wired to function properly. The load must be resistive and provide a direct path to ground. This switch appears to have been created for a very specific function and was designed to be as cheap as possible (probably due to low production numbers). A simple transistor circuit could have been used to switch between the two LEDs and ouput +12V for whatever purpose but this would have increased the cost, manufacturing time and part count.

Pin 1 - This is the dimmer input for the red LED.
Pin 2 - This is the ground for the yellow LED only. This will not ground the red LED properly.
Pin 5 - +12V input to power the yellow LED and output switched power.
Pin 6 - This is the output of the switch and must be connected to ground through a resistive load (such as a relay, light bulb or heating element). The red LED is grounded through this pin. If you connect this to something weird, such as the remote turn on for an amp, then the switch will not illuminate correctly.
Interesting. So this explains why, when off, my installation of the funk switch is amber, not red (to match everything else). It still functions as desired, but the lack of matching things has been a bit irksome. I guess I risk blowing the LED as the "Hi amber" as I called it is actually getting 2x power? I will look into rewiring this with a relay. Any suggestions on sourcing a good match?

whitehatch

TDI
None
A good match for the relay? Well since mkIVs are now in the u-pull-it style junkyards I would just grab a '53' relay and socket from one and put it with the rest of the relays under the dash.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the price of a funk switch has gone crazy? They sell for $60 on vortex now...

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
whitehatch said:
A good match for the relay? Well since mkIVs are now in the u-pull-it style junkyards I would just grab a '53' relay and socket from one and put it with the rest of the relays under the dash.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the price of a funk switch has gone crazy? They sell for $60 on vortex now...
I saw some clown sell one for $100 recently. Glad I got mine when I did...

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
There aren't any VW yards nearby my location. What was relay 53 used for so I can try to order one online or at a stealer?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Used on Golf IV for Foglights (not Passat - they had a different relay)

"53" = Part number 141 951 253 B

Now supercedes to a "643" with part number 8K0 951 253

:)

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Just want to bump this up to the top for anyone who is frustrated with their non working FUNK switch. I used this relay on the output of the switch. Here's the breakdown:
FUNK:
1= dimmer
2= ground
5= +12v
6= output to pin 85 of relay

RELAY:
30= +12v
85= input from FUNK pin 6
86= ground
87= power output to whatever you want. In my case it was a water methanol controller.

I also included an inline fuse between the 75x terminal under the dash and pin 30 on the relay. The relay is setup to handle something like 30A but I don't want my w/m system pulling more than 10A. Setup like this, it works perfectly. Light is red/amber switchable. Finally after getting so frustrated with this stupid switch I sold it. Then stumbled across this thread and found another used one at a steal of a price and finally just got 'er done. I want to give a big thanks to Whitehatch for the help!

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Where can I buy these now anyway? I saw somewhere there were other switches like "GAS" which would be fun to surprise my wife next time she has one of her "silent but violent" ones in the passenger seat. It would be really neat if you hit the "GAS" button it could make all the windows immediately roll down. :cool: "FUNK" would qualify as a reason to roll down the windows also.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
NarfBLAST said:
Where can I buy these now anyway? I saw somewhere there were other switches like "GAS" which would be fun to surprise my wife next time she has one of her "silent but violent" ones in the passenger seat. It would be really neat if you hit the "GAS" button it could make all the windows immediately roll down. :cool: "FUNK" would qualify as a reason to roll down the windows also.
Oh man, thats a perfect use of the "GAS" switch!!! Now I gotta do it! You're SOL on the FUNK. I don't know where to get them anymore. They appear to be sold out. Maybe globally? Used is your best choice. Here is a website with p/n's for all the buttons. You may have to search very far to get them. I'd think they have to be available though, perhaps from a EU vendor like TMTuning? Maybe Peter or Aaron can get them in? Maybe even worldimpex?