Funk switch - any ideas on how to wire this up

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
I recently got my hands on one of these bad boys:

But I have *no* idea on how to wire this thing. For starters, what leads are used for dimmer and what leads are the switched contact?

Here's the back of the switch:

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
wny_pat said:
Didn't know a radio switch had a dimmer.
It's an OEM button. Just like ASR/ESP. I heard it even lights up orange when pushed.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
shag said:
It's an OEM button. Just like ASR/ESP. I heard it even lights up orange when pushed.
Funk translates to radio in English. It's for turning on two way radio in Passat taxis. Don't know how it's wired.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Test it w/a multimeter. Check for continuity to find the on/off terminals. On that topic, I'm looking for a switch that goes in the bank above the radio as well. Either a heated seat or rear defroster switch would do fine. Can't come up w/any OEM numbers. Anybody have ETKA? Sorry for the hijack...

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
wny_pat said:
Funk translates to radio in English. It's for turning on two way radio in Passat taxis. Don't know how it's wired.
ORLY? I would have thought funk was short for funktion. I can't debate what functions it's used to switch between, but I'm pretty sure that's the correct translation.

--Chris

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Nihilator said:
ORLY? I would have thought funk was short for funktion. I can't debate what functions it's used to switch between, but I'm pretty sure that's the correct translation.

--Chris
I think it ought to be wired up to the disco ball. Is that wrong?

Really, where did you get this. Man, this would be a perfect little switch for my EVRY. Is it possible to get another??

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
This switch funtions exactly like the rear defroster switch. I'll figure it out better this weekend.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
cevans said:
This switch funtions exactly like the rear defroster switch. I'll figure it out better this weekend.
The rear defroster switch comes in two flavors. One is just an on/off switch, the other has the timer built in to shut off after xxx minutes. As the switch has 4 terminals, the purpose of two of them is an enigma. Lighting is probably internal to the switch, could just be a DPST switch.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Do you guys want to actually turn something on and off with this, or are you simply trying to get the backlight hooked. I have it wired up right now for the backlight.

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
david_594 said:
Do you guys want to actually turn something on and off with this, or are you simply trying to get the backlight hooked. I have it wired up right now for the backlight.
I want both. It'll activate my Bluetooth system and/or my two-way radio, just like it's supposed to do in Deutschland.

BTW, to the others: "Funk" has no relation to Funktion, this is actually a button to activate a two-way radio in special service vehicles. It looks and feels like a normal toggle switch.

David, with your knowledge of how to wire this one with the backlight, we should be able to use it as a standard toggle (such as a remote wire for a subwoofer or an EVRY mod switch). :)

Then again, a 1J0 941 553 might be more appropriate for an EVRY mod as it should say "GAS"...

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Sorry, no hijacking intended here... maybe more like a piggyback... :)

In my case, I would like to use it as a manual override switch for an IC fan. The rear defrost switch would be a good one also in that it has the timer and more appropriate label/symbol. I notice tdiparts says the funk switch goes next to the defrost on the drivers side (thanks for the link, btw). From the radiused edges, I'd say it goes on the passengers side (US anyways). Not important but just an observation. As a bonus, if the LED were powered from the spade connectors on the back, when the fan came on due to the thermal switch, the LED could light up independantly signalling the driver. From the sounds of david_594's comment, this sounds possible. Pending verification of this, I'll think I'll order this switch.

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
The switch can be installed on either side... replacing the ESP/ASR button or replacing the right butt warmer switch.

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
Working for a German company for the last 8 years I can attest to "Funk" meaning something to do with radio or wireless.
Siemens has an add-on package for their HMI software called FUNKServer PRO for being able to SMS, Text, page, and e-mail alarms and warning of machinery to the appropriate people.

Makes for a great customization... Got to love the idiosyncracies of different languages!

\/\/

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
Pins 5 & 6 look like they're switched, according to my basic electronics knowledge & trusty Craftsman tester. Could anyone double check this for me?

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
So 181 and 218 are...?

Isn't there an electronic version of Bentley available on CD-ROM?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Pin 5 is main power in. Pins 3,4,6 are power out. Pin 1 is backlighting power in. Pin 2 is ground.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for blown fuses, fires, electrical burns, etc... Bench test first.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Use 6... as the wiring diagram shows, pins 3,4,6 are common. I have to go by both cevans and david_594's assertion that it is the same as the rear defogger switch. If you have pins 1,2,5,6 the function would be the same. If you don't believe it is, then all bets are off and it's back to the multimeter.

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
If I had one of those I'd wire up some flashing disco lights to it, maybe turn on some black lights and a plasma ball too.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Did we have a final resolution to the wiring of this switch.......I am Jones'ing for one of these for my evry.

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
Take power from 30 or 75X to pin 5, and it comes out of pin 6 if the switch is enabled. Pins 1 and 2 are backlight. However could someone specify where I should hook up 1 and 2? (I bet 2 is ground)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Take it from the dimmer switch itself. Other than that, you can take it from one of the feeds for another instrument light, like your rear defroster switch (again pin1) or even the DC power outlet light. The dimmer switch is the easiest. Use a multimeter to establish the correct wire. It's brown IIRC.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
DanielRamirez said:
1 Dimmer Light
2 Ground
5 +12V
6 Output
So, following this logic, I should wire mine up with the #5 terminal going to ground & the #6 going to the phone mute terminal at my navi, right? I plan on using the switch as a mute/attenuate for my stereo. IIRC, the navi uses a ground signal for the muting. This sound right to you guys?