fun fun

k0wtz

TDI
Well the 98 beetle tdi has blown yet again another alternator. This one went 1600 mile. this is probably the 5th one in the last 20,000 mile.

No one can find a reason it blowing them up and as most of you know its not an easy task to replace.

Anyone with an idea?

thanks

bob

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Where did you purchase the alternators? Local auto parts stores have bad reputations for reman alternators and starters.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
And what's failing? Voltage regulators? He the amp draw can definitely effect them, however, often it's simple the regulator that needs replaced...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

k0wtz

TDI
well

a couple I have purchased I sold it once he put one on, then I got it back tis been a continuous problem.

I have tried various parts stores I have always bought rebuilt alternators all my life. nothing quite like this

bob

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I'll second that, oem starter on my misses honda civic went out after only 76k kms and we installed a part source reman which are part of CT group, 1 month later the engine burst into flames and "had electric fire at rear of engine, high probability starter" on the insurance.

Last reman I'll ever buy if I can help it
Crazy thing is it's generally the solenoid, a $20 part, that goes bad. Just like it's usually the voltage regulator, another $20 part.
They're easy to replace with OEM components if you can get them separately. Aftermarket rebuild companies just use crap!

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I would rather have a used takeoff from the wrecking yard than any reman, excepting Bosch of course.
That goes for repair parts for an existing alternator. real bosch or don't bother.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yea. Real bosch or nothing. OEM reman maybe. You can rebuild these things fairly easily and for cheep

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The more difficult the job the more important to use quality parts. That is my rule. If I could swap it in 5 minutes I may consider third party parts.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The more difficult the job the more important to use quality parts. That is my rule. If I could swap it in 5 minutes I may consider third party parts.
Yeah that 109 you got at the parts store because you didn't have a spare. But then you order a quality one to replace it.

k0wtz

TDI
some good meat today

ok talked to my mechanic today I am sure oil hammer will come in. anyway his theory after I tell him the car might set as much as a month thus running the battery completely down.

then I just start the car according to him this alternator will work this way. he suggests putting the battery charger on it for 4 or 5 hours then starting the car.

this does make sense to me and I think I am going to put my harbor freight float charger on it for the times it is not going to ran for a bit.

As I sais before at 78 I have purchased I don't know how many rebuilt alternators and never had a car do this! Its about 3 hours everytime one goes out. figure 200bux a clip gets expensive although this one lasted 4 years I just didn't get any mileage out of it! LOL

bob

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Could be a contributing factor. But I think anything but top shelf rebuilds for alternators and starters are questionable. My son just had to replace a RockAuto alternator after just 2 years (Honda Odyssey). Occasionally mine sits for a month, never a problem. Perhaps you have a parasitic drain, but that would result in dead battery after a month.

k0wtz

TDI
yep and yep

well I would consider with the Honda deal just part of the game he did get 2 years. wonder how many miles he drove it. I had the transmission rebuilt on my 90 cad one time it went 120k and blew up. the brand new factory torque converter had gone bad! no blame on my rebuilder!

yes there is a drain someplace especially if I leave the key in. So in the future if the battery goes dead I will get out the battery charger and see how that goes.

his theory makes sense to me and about 1 more time to the junk yard it goes!! LOL

bob

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Never rely on the alternator to recharge a dead battery. They aren't made for that. They are made to replace a lost charge from starting, not battery recharging from dead. If you are going to leave it for long periods I would leave a trickle charger on it all the time. A solar one will do and are pretty cheap. Just make sure your lighter port works with the key off. The alternators may be blowing due to the huge amount of energy they have to produce to recharge dead batteries when left for long periods.

k0wtz

TDI
well its pretty simple to run a h/freight 5.00 trickle charger on it. I go directly to the battery with it. it doesn't run hot enough to burn a battery up but floats it!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not simple enough to have done it in the first place. Use the trickle charger all the time when not in use for any extended period of time. 4 to 5 hours after you get back isn't enough to fully charge it back up. Maybe a full battery charger would do that. I tend to do a battery overnight if it runs down. Get a full charge back on it.

k0wtz

TDI
charging

4 or 5 hours will get you there then the alternator can take over. I never had this problem until the original went out.

sort of a strange problem I have owned probably 30 cars and trucks something run the battery down go grab the jumpers and off the car goes.

Maybe its like VWs radio rig job

bob

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As I said before properly charging the battery completely using a charger should be done. Letting the alternator do it is very hard on it and you are already having issues with them. Why keep doing this to yourself? Let it charge overnight or keep it on the trickle charger all the time when you are gone. Your battery and alternator will last longer if you do this.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'm late to this discussion, but I wonder if the replacement alternators are the correct ones for a 1.9 TDI engine?