Full mfd upgrade

vito3223

I got as far as Deon I think, but haven't had time to ask the dealer to adapt my keys and immobilizer to a different cluster.

There is lots of confusion of how this type of cluster actually works in these vehicles. This is what I know will or will not work after a cluster swap and before a visit to a dealer:
a) KESSY will work, and you have all and full functionality that is part of your CECM, this could indicate that the keys are matched to a different module and not thre cluster. It might be that the cluster just simply has to be adapted to the ECM and immobilizer.
b) The cluster will allow you to set the time, will show its odometer reading and will show what part of the car is open ie, trunk etc.
c) Car start button will not do anything, I am not sure about if it would be any different with a key ignition start
d) I was able to scan the gateway with VCDS but could not communicate with the cluster for some reason, maybe I needed to do a complete power cycle (Battery disconnect). Although when scanning the gateway I got all the cluster info including the coding. Comparing the coding of new to old cluster, it wasn't that much different, only by 3 bits.

Also, there seems to be lots of confusion about the types of CECM. That one is a highline and another is a lowline. Everything that I have seen indicates that this distinction is not very true. If you compare the pinout and functionality of each, the two connector and the three connector you will find that both have almost the same number of wires. As a matter of fact, it seems that the two connector uses a LIN bus to control more devices and I think this is just a new type of control and saving on VW side. This is why the door control modules on the New Jettas are not fully transparent and need to be coded through other modules like the CECM. So I would be cautious when making these highline and lowline distinctions.

Overall, if anyone has any feedback on this cluster upgrade/swap, I would love to hear it.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Not sure if this is any good to anyone but I have a full MFA cluster from my 2010 Jetta TDI in full working order. If anyone is interested please let me know.

Livefreeordie89

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
The mexican Jetta has a 10 pin switch, not 14 like ours. Im guessing they have the highline wiring where we do not, making the gauge cluster swap still a mystery.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Bummer. Odd that they even mess around with two different harnesses in the same plant... oh well.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Yes much succes. I have installed the cluster but still have to get it programmed. I am able to do everything till I try to start the car as it imobolized as soon as the keys try to communicate. I expected this. Shows the doors open, hood and many other features. I'm considering purchasing a Hex-USB+can so I can program the key fobs and set the rt up. I've got a picture of it installed. I'll catalog the process and post it up for a sticky. Looks like my tdi has a high line cecm. :D anyone in need of a high line cluster I've got 2!
Well I took he car in today and asked about getting the key fob I purchase matched to the ca r as they promised when I bought it, replace a speaker that has already blown and while they were at it to program the cluster to the car. I explained that I had fmfd and that I would take the responsibility if it didn't work and pay them for the program. They pretty much refused. I again stated they had to run the immobilizer to match the key fobs anyways why not run it for the cluster and I would take all the risk. The reply was I'll ask the service manager but it's going to be no. Now what? If I could just get the immobilizer code my miles are good. If this were for my Denali clone I'd be done and bragging weeks ago. Some one here has to be smart enough and experienced enough to think this through. That isn't me but if a Vag-USB would be the start I'll buy one! Keeping my hopes up!
I wish was able to help you back in 2012.

I got as far as Deon I think, but haven't had time to ask the dealer to adapt my keys and immobilizer to a different cluster.

There is lots of confusion of how this type of cluster actually works in these vehicles. This is what I know will or will not work after a cluster swap and before a visit to a dealer:
a) KESSY will work, and you have all and full functionality that is part of your CECM, this could indicate that the keys are matched to a different module and not thre cluster. It might be that the cluster just simply has to be adapted to the ECM and immobilizer.
b) The cluster will allow you to set the time, will show its odometer reading and will show what part of the car is open ie, trunk etc.
c) Car start button will not do anything, I am not sure about if it would be any different with a key ignition start
d) I was able to scan the gateway with VCDS but could not communicate with the cluster for some reason, maybe I needed to do a complete power cycle (Battery disconnect). Although when scanning the gateway I got all the cluster info including the coding. Comparing the coding of new to old cluster, it wasn't that much different, only by 3 bits.

Also, there seems to be lots of confusion about the types of CECM. That one is a highline and another is a lowline. Everything that I have seen indicates that this distinction is not very true. If you compare the pinout and functionality of each, the two connector and the three connector you will find that both have almost the same number of wires. As a matter of fact, it seems that the two connector uses a LIN bus to control more devices and I think this is just a new type of control and saving on VW side. This is why the door control modules on the New Jettas are not fully transparent and need to be coded through other modules like the CECM. So I would be cautious when making these highline and lowline distinctions.

Overall, if anyone has any feedback on this cluster upgrade/swap, I would love to hear it.

Just want to let everyone that I can to do this , I can program new cluster to work with car on any Jetta/Golf /Passat till 2014.
One thing needs to be done before you put other is take a auto scan with VCDS !!!! This needs to be done because ABS will take a VIN number form other cluster and will clear coding. So to have back up need to have Auto Scan.

Send me PM for all info.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
You said you could swap clusters so I'm curious to see an example.
When I do this I do not take any pictures or anything like that, only one I made post is My 99.5 None Can Bus cluster that I made Full High line CAN BUS cluster working on it:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=335429

But you can read posts , 76, 80,81, 98, 108,110,125, 126, 146, 147, 149 and see it:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=251621&page=6

or here post 112, 118:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Technician&p=86275807&viewfull=1#post86275807

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
You said you could swap clusters so I'm curious to see an example.
Here , I made Video with install high line cluster. This is Gas car but is will be same with TDI.
Everything works as should. All MDF menu works perfect and show everything.
One thing is that I am dealing at moment is that Gan Gateway configuration is not same in Sedan and Wagon, so turn signal indicator doesn not show on cluster ( they works on car ) and when you turn light switch On , back light does not come on cluster.

Original cluster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYQ5Cze4KVE

High line cluster install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwfAbzXEoN4

vito3223

Hi Jetta,97,

There are more issues with the upgrade than what your posting. The complete list is as follows:

1) Blinkers don't light up on cluster but do still work on car
2) Backlight on cluster will NOT turn ON when the light switch is turned ON at night
3) The ESC/ESP/ASR light will stay lit on the cluster intermittently

With a VCDS scan the following additional issues exist:
4) ABS controller cannot talk to immobilizer via gateway and will have an error and will not allow coding
5) Airbag controller will have an error since it cannot see the immobilizer through the gateway
6) The gateway will have an error since it cannot see the immobilizer and hence communicate with ABS and Airbag above

The issue is with the BCM25 which has a built in gateway. On the other hand, any car wagon or not with BCM PQ35 will have no issues at all.

Here is a link on Ross-Tech verifying some of this:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1236-Jetta-Mk6-TDI-%282014%29-Cluster-Upgrade

Let me know if you make any headway.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Hi Jetta,97,

There are more issues with the upgrade than what your posting. The complete list is as follows:

1) Blinkers don't light up on cluster but do still work on car
2) Backlight on cluster will NOT turn ON when the light switch is turned ON at night
3) The ESC/ESP/ASR light will stay lit on the cluster intermittently

With a VCDS scan the following additional issues exist:
4) ABS controller cannot talk to immobilizer via gateway and will have an error and will not allow coding
5) Airbag controller will have an error since it cannot see the immobilizer through the gateway
6) The gateway will have an error since it cannot see the immobilizer and hence communicate with ABS and Airbag above

The issue is with the BCM25 which has a built in gateway. On the other hand, any car wagon or not with BCM PQ35 will have no issues at all.

Here is a link on Ross-Tech verifying some of this:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1236-Jetta-Mk6-TDI-%282014%29-Cluster-Upgrade

Let me know if you make any headway.
I know all about it , I said CAN Gateway configuration in not same.This means controllers will have problem to talk between each other.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I have a 2014 6 spd NAV Jetta. If I get a 2013/14 GLI cluster is it possible to make that work?