Fuelab lift pumps - Interest for potential group buy?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
First one has been installed :). In the lower speed mode, it's very quiet. The only time you can hear it is key on, engine off. It's only a little louder than a pd in tank pump. With engine running, radio and blower motor have to be off, and then you have to listen very carefully for it. Pressure at idle was 17-19 psi, and at rev would drop to 15psi. Dead heading, the internal relief opened at 20psi as anticipated.

Body measures 5"x2.5"

Whitbread

TDI
Several
We only wired for low speed on Kooyajerms' car. I don't think the stock pickup/lines would flow enough for high speed mode. I didn't snap any pics of the install as we were in a bit of a hurry. I'm sure he can snap some pics when he gets back to cali this weekend; he's somewhere in colorado right now.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
Whats the limit of feed pressure into the injection pump?

I've heard of cummins guys machining for a snap ring to hold in the front seal for high feed pressure but i forget the number. 50psi maybe?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
What's the fuel pressure under load at 4500-rpm, like in a 40-80 mph sprint? My observation of the Carters was pressure was good at idle and rev, but quickly dropped to zero psi under real acceleration.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
So what kind of RPM/Boost would you need to run the pump in high speed mode?
That would be more dictated by the injection pump combo and the size/type of fuel lines you had.

Whats the limit of feed pressure into the injection pump?

I've heard of cummins guys machining for a snap ring to hold in the front seal for high feed pressure but i forget the number. 50psi maybe?
I've been told about 30psi is the safe limit for the front seal of our pumps without any issues. Having said that, I also accidentally put 60psi to my injection pump for a moment when I was adjusting the pressure regulator on my car when it was together before. Seal didn't leak or pop out. But, I doubt it would stand that pressure for long.

What's the fuel pressure under load at 4500-rpm, like in a 40-80 mph sprint? My observation of the Carters was pressure was good at idle and rev, but quickly dropped to zero psi under real acceleration.
I didn't have time to measure it on Kooya's car due to the time crunch we were on. I can guarantee it's a minimum of 10psi though as the pump would be flowing 90gph at that point. I'll measure it for sure on my and NoJoke's builds.

ishmael010

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
cost for the pump

Whitbread-
Just wanted to check with you and confirm the pump price. Based on your previous posting below, this pump will run $343.20 plus shipping costs? Are they available now?

Ishmael

Just got off the phone with a distributor and I was able to work out some special pricing! MSRP is $429 but I was able to work out a 20% discount which is a much easier to stomach price :). Delivery time is approximately 2 weeks.

choramix

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk3 afn 1997
am i seing right?? at 20 psi of pressure on full speed set flow 120 gph equal a 454 liters hour ??
im curious with a full 11mm pump with a 12 head what is the pressure at 4500 to 5000

solaros

TDI
1996 1z passat(in 89'MR2), 2014 Audi Q5, 2015 golf sportwagen, 2001 jetta RIP
flow through

Should this unit (or more likely the customer installed wiring for the unit) fail, can the injection pump suck through it without restriction, or would a bypass be required like the PD lift pumps?
Thanks,
Jake

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
The pump is cavitating at the moment and I will confirm it fails open.

Working it out with fuel labs, and I'll try to get a picture of it installed on the wagon. Matt did a very OEM installation =)

There isn't a group buy Mongler, if you want it, just contact them/or Matt. But you may want to wait to see if the promo 1st piece is any indication of some quirks to figure out.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
The pump is cavitating at the moment and I will confirm it fails open.

Working it out with fuel labs, and I'll try to get a picture of it installed on the wagon. Matt did a very OEM installation =)

There isn't a group buy Mongler, if you want it, just contact them/or Matt. But you may want to wait to see if the promo 1st piece is any indication of some quirks to figure out.
I wouldn't be surprised if the pump is out flowing the stock pickup in your car Jeremy. Or, it sucked junk off the bottom of the tank and plugged the screen on the pickup. Yank it out and have a looksee!

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
You missed the other thread Matt.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=288748

Pickup was clean. Think there is a sock inbetween the pump and the sender?

Don't see why it decided to overflow it at idle. The startup humming we used to hear is gone, it's just random cavitating sounds at idle and driving.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
So it has been some time now. What if any diagnosis has been made? Is this going to be a go-to-unit or still waiting for trial data ? Will it be usable for those of us with MK4 platforms who don't want the PD lift pump option?
Bru

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Sorry, been slow to fix it since it hasn't caused me any no-run issues.

I'm removing a checkvalve when I can find some stainless tubing (looked all over, and went to a metalworks place). Then speaking with the owner regarding any repair.

Josh@FUELAB

TDI
A stable of Ford Focus'
Jeremy- have you had a chance to look into this any further? The sounds you are describing sound a lot like some form of cavitation. Cavitation could be caused from any number of things- as Matt mentioned, a clog somewhere along the line or the Fuelab pump outflowing the factory pump. Additionally, it could be caused from your fuel vaporizing because of an outside heat source.....although I doubt that is the problem here since I believe you are using the factory fuel lines which are ran in the factory location, correct?

I asked Brian if you had called in to talk to him, but he didn't recall a conversation with you. I just wanted to touch base with you because we don't like to leave problems unresolved.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
What I'm wondering Josh, is if it's cavitating because it's outflowing the fuel pickup, why did it wait a good 1500 miles to start acting up? Will cavitation stop if any clogging is cleared up in the pre pump lines? Fuel lines are factory location but we did use some really good diesel rated lines to splice in the pump.

Ball's in my court at the moment Josh. I'm waiting on some stainless steel barb menders in the mail(pretty hard to find locally, and ss tubing was never sold in less than a couple feet). I will remove the check valve, then contact Brian. I'm sorry if this is causing anyone any undue postponements in their build. Just had Injection Pump and shifting issues to take care of, also have been doing some catering and installing flooring at the home.

I will say Josh has been very helpful in diagnosing. Don't give up on their product yet!

Jeremy

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Brian told me the noise doesn't mean it's exactly failing per se. So I took a video because no one understands what the noise is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmLr2tXt6lU

Compare it to the whir from the first video. Josh says cavitation, Brian says could not be and running perfectly fine.

I took the line off the inlet side and drained the pump to see if any blockage was there. Nada. Boy did I make a mess.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Bump...

So what's the verdict?

I've been thinking about getting a lift pump for my 2001 TDI for a while. And this one sounded very interesting.:cool:

Also...was it determined if it hampers flow if it fails?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
. Going to take the pump out today and send it to them to have it checked out. Finally found a place to order some push connects to fit in some line. These are cool bits to connect lines together super easy, like chinese finger traps. Come out real easy too.

I can't tell if it's failed or not because I've only driven the car with the pump installed. If it failed, it's not hampering flow and just making the sound. So either it's been running fine and my fueling is great up top, or I've got more coming.

Last edited: