Fuelab lift pumps - Interest for potential group buy?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
For the few of us performance nuts that a mk4 PD lift pump won't work nicely with (like the b4v I'm working on now), there's basically no high quality in line lift pump options on the market for the 80-120 GPH at 7-15psi range approved for diesel. I called all the big names in aftermarket fuel pumps and they weren't the slightest interested in making a diesel version of any of their pumps. Seeing as how often I replace Carter lift pumps on Dodge 24v's, I'm not even considering those.

I spoke with an engineer at Fuelab today, and on Monday they are going to take their smallest pump and change some regulator springs and programming (yes, their pumps are programmable) to reduce the flow ratings to something that will work without a regulator for us. With the pump being in a "reduced" state of operation compared to what it was designed for, the engineer felt it would have absolutely no trouble living on the street for many, many, years.

If anyone is interested, post up! If they can make the pump meet our needs, I'll see if any price break can be made for a couple units.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Would this be an upgrade for us pd guys? There is 103k on mine and I'm thinking I'll need a replacement at some point and time.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Would these go in the engine bay or the tank?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
I was thinking more underneath the car near the fuel tank. I don't know if it's submersible, though I imagine at 2.5"x6.5" it wouldn't fit very well in our sending units anyways.

However, this unit was more intended toward those running radical setups not using OEM fuel systems anymore. If you have a vehicle that can use a PD lift pump, I'd probably stick with it. Will be easier and cheaper. If you have a goofy application or are out in left field like TDISyncro, Shorty, or NoJoke, this would be a good option.

Last edited:

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Count me in too. I've been thinking about having a lift pump installed on the B4V & have been watching Jeremy's thread to see if there would be a reasonable solution to the problem.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
It was your thread that shed some light on all this Jason. You and Gus can be thanked for Matt pushing for a better lift pump.

We're in! Come on group buy!

thekidfan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 2DR 5 SPD, 02 Golf 4DR 5 SPD
How much $$$ are they talking Matt. As you mentioned those wonderful carters LOL I'm sure you're aware of the FASS and Airdog lines of diesel lift pumps. Also do you really feel the GPH needs to be that high?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Glad to see there's more interest in this than I initially thought :). Hopefully monday's testing produces favorable results and this will come to fruit.

How much $$$ are they talking Matt. As you mentioned those wonderful carters LOL I'm sure you're aware of the FASS and Airdog lines of diesel lift pumps. Also do you really feel the GPH needs to be that high?
Well, the pumps sell for 273 to 375 according to google shopping for the 40402 pump that this project is being based off of. Apparently some places are gouging quite heavily.... Won't bother discussing pricing till we know we have something that is going to work.

While it may not be the cheapest option, you can't find anything else that is rated for diesel use, brushless motor, and digitally controlled
(onlys pull 2-3 amps total). Seeing as how there's no brushes and the bearings & carbon vanes are lubricated by slippery diesel, the pump really should last damn near indefinitely. This is a "do it once and do it right" type deal. There are cheaper options (carter and walbro) if you're on a tight budget.

Yes, the gph needs to be that high. At 5k, the rotary vane pump inside the injection pump moves alot more fuel than you think. These VE pumps need all the cool fuel they can get to help keep things cool and lubricated at high rpms.

Yeah, I looked at all the FASS and Airdog stuff. They all flow wayyyyyy to much for us and are also way to much $$$ for what they are.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Is this something that I could mount under the car, where the gasser's fuel filter would mount on a mk3/mk2/corrado? Would it be ok in the elements (my car lives a comfy life by being garaged kept and only driven in the warm seasons)?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Is this something that I could mount under the car, where the gasser's fuel filter would mount on a mk3/mk2/corrado? Would it be ok in the elements (my car lives a comfy life by being garaged kept and only driven in the warm seasons)?
Yup, the idea behind the inline is that it will be mounted under the car. I believe it's also submersible.

Wohoo! Good news! Just got off the phone with the engineer working on the project and reducing the pump's speed down to 35% nets 79gph at 10 psi and dead headed the internal relief opens at 20psi. Current draw is only 2.9 amps at this speed and he said it was very quiet.

Since there are two programmable speeds, I asked him to program the second speed at 55% of max which he said netted 105gph at 10psi and dead heading at 24psi. This way, you can have a street mode, flip a switch, and then have race mode with higher flow for keeping the pump happy under high rpms. Or I suppose you could get tricky and use a hobbs switch to send 12v to the speed wire of the pump at a certain boost psi.

I'm awaiting a return call from a distributor (can't buy direct) to work out some quantity vs pricing.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Just got off the phone with a distributor and I was able to work out some special pricing! MSRP is $429 but I was able to work out a 20% discount which is a much easier to stomach price :). Delivery time is approximately 2 weeks.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Lifetime pump for $380 or buying multiple PD lift pumps? Or for those of us can't even use one in their retarded tank.

1st!

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Matt,
What size fuel lines does this one take?
Suction line is recommended at 3/8" if you plan on running high speed mode often, but discharge can be 5/16" or 3/8". If you don't plan on running high speed mode often, the engineer felt 5/16" feed should be ok as long as pump was close to tank.

Lifetime pump for $380 or buying multiple PD lift pumps? Or for those of us can't even use one in their retarded tank.

1st!
Check your math, it's less than that ;).

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Just got off the phone with a distributor and I was able to work out some special pricing! MSRP is $429 but I was able to work out a 20% discount which is a much easier to stomach price :). Delivery time is approximately 2 weeks.
Is there a minimum order? When and how long do we have to order?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
I was able to work out no minimum order with no restriction on time. Fuelab is basically going to treat it as a regular stock item.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Hey Matt, you think this would be a good alternative compared to PD lift pump for my car?
Not really if there's nothing wrong with yours. If it does die, then this might be a path to consider. Otherwise, this is more for people either out in left field or where pd pumps don't fit.

Ryan VW 91

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Not really if there's nothing wrong with yours. If it does die, then this might be a path to consider. Otherwise, this is more for people either out in left field or where pd pumps don't fit.
Haha, thats the thing tho. I dont have a PD lift pump yet, was considering it. Just wondering which one would be better.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
How does this compare noise-wise and for longevity to the gerotor design like on some of the Holley HP 125/150 gph pumps?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
How does this compare noise-wise and for longevity to the gerotor design like on some of the Holley HP 125/150 gph pumps?
Supposed to be very quiet :). I'll know for sure on tuesday.

Where do I send money? :)
I'll send you a pm:).

I worked out the cost to three and a half shipped thru the group buy; MSRP is supposed to be four and a quarter.