Fuel Temperature Sensor

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Just a quick question with a little background. I have noticed over the past couple months that the performance on my 2002 Jetta TDI has been dropping off a bit, especially going up hills and grades. Just not as peppy. Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I got a check engine light with a P0182 code (fuel temperature sensor input signal low). I cleared it and it came back. Cleared it and it came back again so it is a legitimate code.

Funny thing is, now that I have the code, the car seems to have most of its pep back. Coincidence, or does the computer revert to a stored value when the temperature sensor is bad? If so, would this explain the better performance?

Thanks,

Glenn

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
The sensor takes all but 20 minutes to change and the part is only ~$20. I have been told it is a wear item. When you start the car, does it act like you blipped the throttle briefly? Andrew at fixmyvw.com had one sent to me quickly and for dirt cheap. I don't see it on his website but know that he carries it. Just shoot him and email.

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
No, it just seems to start easier than it has in awhile and it seems to have more pep and rev a little easier.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
You need the special IP socket you can get it from Metalnerd. I replaced mine 3 years ago. The ECM trims or meters the IP's fuel output based on the fuel density. This winter you may be in trouble if you don't replace it.

Last edited: