Fuel Shortage????

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I am getting ready to start my 800 mile trek to Wisconsin.....
And the question has to be asked despite adding many many dollars to the cost of the trip.....
Is there going to be fuel available??

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
I just saw the news where Indianapolis was running dry in some areas. Nothing like that around here, although prices jumped 15 cents yesterdan and another 30 today. Unleaded is 3.09 around me, and I just filled up with premium diesel at 2.74/gallon at the Kwik Trip in Lake Mills (up 25 cents from yesterday).

TDI_ED

TDI
99 Red Beetle, 96 Green Passat Wagon
On my way to work today at least two stations had pump handles covered on one or two grades of gas, but I was able to buy diesel for 2.54/gallon out on the west side of Indy.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
Well if there is anything good that can come out of the high fuel prices, I think we might see a lot more people look more seriously at biodiesel and the thought of homebrewing or joining biodiesel coops. I've had a lot of people emailing asking about biodiesel and the Fest who don't own diesels, but want to come to the Fest to learn. We've already had several local papers do pre-write up's on the Fest, and I know atleast one is attending the Fest.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Hi Tomo,

There is pleanty of fuel around here but expect the prices to creep up to $3.50 to $4.00 per gallon.

I topped off today at $2.89/gallon to beat the price increases coming next week.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
There are several Amoco Premier sites on your trip once you get to chicago and WI.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
I filled up an hour ago for $2.69, that same station was $2.55 pre-Katrina. HOWEVER, you will be hardpressed to find RUL at under $3.10 a gallon in the Prov metro!!

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I topped off my tank and filled two 5 gallon jugs in Damascus, MD for $2.569 per gallon last night, so diesel fuel is still available at more reasonable prices in a few places.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
I have not had power at home since Monday because of the hurricane, and I dicided to head out early when they said it may be two weeks to restore our power to my area.

I am in Joliet, IL, I drove up from MS early to escape the hurricane crazieness and visit some family. Good thing I filled up Thursday. I did try to top off before leaving home, but the place I stopped at did not have diesel.

I had enough fuel to get me to at least Memphis, but I was starving. I tried taking a few exits north of Jackson, MS for a food stop, only to get stuck in traffic with people trying to buy gas. I finally just treked on. I got to Wynona, MS and stopped at a Pilot that wasn't busy. They had diesel for $2.89. As I was venting up, I noticed it was RED diesel!

I asked, and they said because of the shortage that they were allowed to mix it in with the regular and sell it. That tank would have got me all the way here to Joliet, but I stopped at a BP just outside the city and filled up for $2.95/gal. I wish I had stopped earlier. I forget where it was, somewhere in Arkansas, it was a Flying J I think that had a flashing sign that said Biodiesel $2.49. I didn't see the sign until I passed the exit though.

All of the diesel prices I saw on the way up ranged from $2.49 to $2.89 until I got near Chicago where it's all $2.95. Gas has ranged from $2.95 to $3.29/gal.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
trucker chatter on the CB yesterday was all about shortages. Some places like Florida and SC have a 50 gallon limit. (rationing!) Since these guys get 4-5 MPG, that 50 gal doesn't get them too far.

They didn't care much for my remark that I would get about 2000 miles on 50 gallons, so what's the problem?

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
Here in the DC area Diesel has gone up over .50 a gallon in 2 days
SUCKS!! Pure Gouging! Can't be anything else
Similar here in South Western Ontario. I've seen diesel go up by as much as .15 / L in 2 days, while gasoline has gone up .40 / L in the same time. So diesel up .60 / gallon and gasoline up 1.60 / gallon (U.S gallons), again, in 2 days.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
They didn't care much for my remark that I would get about 2000 miles on 50 gallons, so what's the problem?
Ya Bah-stid!

~BeetleGo

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
From NY to here I didn't see any signs of shortage, gas or diesel. Gas was consistently over $3, as high as $3.84 for premium. Diesel topped out at $2.99.