Fuel seeping

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
I have started to smell some diesel in the engine bay and it seems to be coming from around the fuel temperature T. It is common for these to leak, or is this a problem with the fuel line itself leaking? If I do need to replace the fuel line, what size and/or part number for the line? Maybe it is just the fuel temp sensor and/or seal leaking?

To help with locating the leak, I tied a rag around the fuel temperature T and after quite a few hundred miles, it is damp with fuel. I did also feel fuel on top the HPFP, which made me worried about the pump, although it could just be migrating down from the T. Pulling the fuel metering valve did not show any metal flakes, but maybe a small speck of rubber (which made me think fuel line issue)?

Any help is appreciated and Happy New Year to you all!

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
the sensor has an o-ring inside, it just unscrews from the tee.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'll get you the part number when I get home, I had to replace that fuel line as I cut it off my filter housing.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you @x1800MODMY360x

I saw the o-ring on sensor on the parts diagram @d2freeman, but wasn't sure if it could be replaced separately from the sensor. I did try to tighten it, hoping it may have just been loose.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: Thanks for the suggestion @d2freeman, the $3.00 o-ring from the dealer seems to have stopped the seeping for now. Here is the part number and what the old one looked like at 157k miles. The new one was bright green and rubbery, the old one was less compliant.

Last edited: