Other State Taxes/Fees: 61.01

Total State Taxes/Fees: 99.91

Total State plus Federal Excise Tax: 124.31

(all figures in cents)

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Most people don't have a clue about how to drive economically. Don't even know where to start. But then again, if you ask 10 people at a filling station how many miles per gallon their car gets, you'll get answers like "I put $80 worth of gas in it a week." If you don't know the result why worry about the process?
So you don't think "it's normal" that people do what I did last week? 🤔

I actually increased my commute distance by adding an extra 10% distance each way in order to increase my FE by ~15% so that in the end, it results in a cost saving of ~4% fuel costs.
The previous route was shorter, but it's jammed full of traffic and quite a few traffic lights which are naturally always RED when I hit them......
The new route is all boonies and I only chance hitting 3 traffic lights, but I'm basically on cruise control in 8th the whole commute with the exception of 4 turns.
I'm actually excited to see how this changes my regen cycles and DEF use over the next few months as I'm expecting improvements there too.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Maybe we just need more fuel efficient cars... no, wait, let's ban those...
I'm all for efficiencies...more efficient gas and diesel cars and trucks, more efficient heating and cooling, more and better home insulation...

I'm 2000% with you, that a measure of pollution can't be so simple as grams of CO2 or NOx emitted, but it must include distance travelled with that fuel.

Why not have more CNG cars and trucks? It only needs compressing to get to liquid, but not a cracking tower and gobs of energy, as for gas and diesel.

Last edited:

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI

I actually increased my commute distance by adding an extra 10% distance each way in order to increase my FE by ~15% so that in the end, it results in a cost saving of ~4% fuel costs.
The previous route was shorter, but it's jammed full of traffic and quite a few traffic lights which are naturally always RED when I hit them......
The new route is all boonies and I only chance hitting 3 traffic lights, but I'm basically on cruise control in 8th the whole commute with the exception of 4 turns.
I'm actually excited to see how this changes my regen cycles and DEF use over the next few months as I'm expecting improvements there too.
My man. I am all for avoiding red lights even if I have to take longer routes.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

I think that's a fine idea. I'd do it too, probably more to keep my blood pressure down than to save fuel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My heating company filled my tank on Thursday. $5.199/gal, last price was $3.85. Almost $900 to fill the tank. Yikes. A year ago it was an artificially low $2.15/gal.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Best time for geothermal.

I'm starting to ask around, my furnace is original from 1990. So it owes the house nothing really.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I replaced my boiler two years ago. My oil consumption went down over 40%. That's the good news. I have a pool in my yard I've considered taking out. If I did I could put piping for geothermal in the hole before filling it in.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I think that's a fine idea. I'd do it too, probably more to keep my blood pressure down than to save fuel.
So I checked just to see if there's any difference and it looks like I've already driven ~20hrs and over 1000km without a regen due to my new route... this looks promising.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My heating company filled my tank on Thursday. $5.199/gal, last price was $3.85. Almost $900 to fill the tank. Yikes. A year ago it was an artificially low $2.15/gal.
You prob got a deal, HHO peaked at 5.29 in wester Maine early March when markets were freaking out.

I wonder how many people are running red fuel these days, but at that price HHO doesn't seem like there is any savings vs pump fuel.

I filled up the Passat at 4.99, even at that price and a dollar spread comparted to RUG, it is cheaper to run the TDI than the pig of the Alltrack. That haldex just sucks the fuel right out of the 1.8t compared to a FWD.

Dieselgorl

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I've noticed that the people driving the gas guzzlers don't do anything to try and reduce consumption even at these high prices. When I see someone coasting up to a red light or a traffic slowdown it's usually a car that gets good mileage to begin with and the gas guzzlers are still on the go pedal whizzing by and slamming on their brakes at the last instant. Just something I've observed over time.
It’s funny because I don’t coast for fuel economy, I just prefer to for comfort reasons, rather than braking real hard for lights or having to get on and off constantly in stop and go traffic. It’s jarring and I don’t like it 🤷‍♀️

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
It’s funny because I don’t coast for fuel economy, I just prefer to for comfort reasons, rather than braking real hard for lights or having to get on and off constantly in stop and go traffic. It’s jarring and I don’t like it 🤷‍♀️
Yep I was out there today enjoying the relaxed ride and my music. A lot of folks beat me to the red lights though.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Driving like you have no brakes is both comfortable to passengers, and saves quite a bit of fuel.

I'm somehow averaging 42mpg (with a lot of datalogging each tank) on these big injectors, because I mostly don't drive like an idiot.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
All the news is talking about is gasoline prices with no mention of diesel prices. This morning the newscaster was in front of a station saying how gas was down to $3.85 and right behind her was the big green sign for diesel saying $5.59 with nary a word about it. Don't people realize they are paying far more for that in the price of goods than they are paying for their own personal gasoline? I guess most think ahead about as much as they do when they drive.:rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Our fill ups peaked around 6.10 gallon, diesel has fallen to 5.37, filled up the passat this week and was very happy when it was around $80 (15 gal fill)

Even at that price, the TDI is still cheaper per mile than the Alltrack.