Fuel Pressure issues, HPFP hasn't died - P0087 and P0088 DTCs

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Does anybody here have a dead HPFP lying around? I might just be interested in the fuel metering valve out of it, if you are willing to sell it. Here is the rest of the story:

Last Friday I got an "Emissions Workshop" message in my MFD along with a flashing glow plug light and limp mode. I was only a few blocks from home, so I limped home and scanned my car with VCDS and got the dreaded P0087 - Fuel rail pressure too low. Since the car still ran, I saved the code and reset it. The car ran perfectly. I had a long drive planned for Sunday, so I drove it all over town (over 100 miles) on Saturday. I drove it hard and easy, and I could not get the error to come back. On Sunday, I had to drive to San Diego (over 300 miles) and the car ran fine. Today (Monday) when about 2/3 home (just past Barstow), the glow plug light starts flashing again. As an experiment, I shut off the engine and restarted it (without using VCDS), and got no flashing GP light. I drove the rest of the way home without a problem. When I scanned the car again at home, I was expecting the same thing but got a P0088 instead - Fuel rail pressure too high.

Neither time did the Check Engine light come on. Both occurred at very close to 2000 rpms but under very different circumstances. The first was in second gear going through a very bumpy construction area and the second was cruising at expressway speed in 6th gear. It was about 555 miles between the first fault code and the second occurrence. I intend to replace the fuel filter tomorrow. I just replaced it 2 weeks ago, but I want to make sure I didn't mess up those Olympic rings or anything. It is the last thing I did to the fuel system, so it is worth a try.

Anyway, based partially on this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4217660&postcount=1
It could be a faulty fuel metering valve. This is why I started this post looking for a dead HPFP. I would also be interested to know if anyone knows of a source or even a part number for this part (VW doesn't sell it). Is there (maybe) any way to service this valve? Any information would be appreciated. If anybody cares, the full fault codes are posted below. I am assuming that the 2 pressure readings are requested and actual pressures.

Code:
    [FONT=&quot]                Address 01: Engine       Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]Control Module Part Number: 03L 997 016 N    HW: 03L 906 022 J[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]  Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG  8680[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]           Software Coding: 0050072[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]            Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                      VCID: 3D7A39A364B1E7C9459-8068[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 Fault Found:[/FONT]      [FONT=&quot]Mileage: 80493[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure [/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]               P0087 - 000 - Too Low[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]             Freeze Frame:[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Fault Status: 01100000[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Fault Priority: 2[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Fault Frequency: 1[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Reset counter: 255[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Mileage: 129540 km[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Time Indication: 0[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Date: 2000.00.00[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Time: 12:21:09[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]                    RPM: 1978 /min[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Inj. Quantity: 9.1 mg/str[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    (no units): 5.0[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Pressure: 640.0 bar[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Pressure: 448.0 bar[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Temperature: 52.2°C[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Tank Cont.: 18.2 l[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 Fault Found:    Mileage: 81048[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]000136 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure [/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]               P0088 - 000 - Too High - Intermittent[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Fault Status: 00100000[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Fault Priority: 2[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Fault Frequency: 1[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Reset counter: 255[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Mileage: 130437 km[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Time Indication: 0[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Date: 2000.00.00[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Time: 14:35:52[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]                    RPM: 2070 /min[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Inj. Quantity: 5.2 mg/str[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    (no units): 5.0[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Pressure: 512.0 bar[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Pressure: 760.0 bar[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Temperature: 42.3°C[/FONT]
  [FONT=&quot]                    Tank Cont.: 52.9 l[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0 [/FONT]
Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

fakitol

TDI
Audi A3, 2005, 2L 16V
Changing fuel filter won't help. Clean your fuel pressure regulator and also the fuel rail.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Minor update

Minor update:
It has now been over 600 miles since the last fault code/limp mode. I have managed to source a fuel metering valve (thanks Andrew!) which I will probably replace this weekend. Oddly enough, I am actually finding myself hoping that it fails again (high or low), just to verify that it wasn't just a weird fluke. Anyway, after replacing the fuel metering valve (which is easy), I might have to drive the car for a long time to be certain that it is really fixed. I will be driving to San Diego (actually La Jolla) again next month, so I should learn something then (or before). I will update this thread if/when I learn more.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I hate intermittent faults:mad:

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another minor update

Well, it finally faulted again on Friday after almost 1,000 miles (992 to be exact). Today I replaced that fuel metering valve. Everything works and the car seems happy - we shall see what happens. I am not going to call it "fixed" until I put at least a few thousand miles on it. I do not know how long that will take, but I do have another San Diego trip planned in a few weeks. I will update this thread if/when anything else happens.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. It's too bad VW doesn't sell these things, replacing it is a fast simple 5 minute job.

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
It might be possible to buy just a metering valve at a bosch dealer...I know you can buy them for the cp3 pumps...probably take some researching to get a bosch part number.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It might be possible to buy just a metering valve at a bosch dealer...I know you can buy them for the cp3 pumps...probably take some researching to get a bosch part number.
I have the Bosch part number and I have Googled it. It can be purchased in Europe and shipped here. I found no North American sellers. Prices vary from around $100 to over $200 plus shipping. I am hoping that the one I have will fix the problem and I will not have to buy a new one. The best price I have found (so far) is about $107 +shipping from the UK.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. If anybody else is interested, the Bosch part number for that fuel metering valve (N290) is: 0928 400 706

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Hope you have it sorted now.

Just chiming in to share some of my experiences with fuel pressure issues on the CRs. I had a customer car that gave me fits trying to figure out why the low pressure DTC and limp mode. After much study and testing, then with 2microns help, I found the pump head itself to be the root cause. It has a very high pressure check valve in it that the slightest fouling can cause system pressure issues. 2micron has a guide for cleaning it out I used and sure enough that was it.

What was the source of the fouling? in that case the metering valve had been replaced by a rebuilder (I hate those guys...) due to electrical connector crash damage, and he damaged the o-ring that seals it. Bits of o-ring had to be cleaned out of the pump head 3 times before the "fix" stayed fixed.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hope you have it sorted now.
Me too! Since I have intermittently been getting both high and low pressure faults, I am assuming that it is either the fuel metering valve (N290) or the Fuel pressure regulator valve (N276). So far, all of my faults have occurred at or below about 2000 rpms. According to the SSG, these two valves work together to maintain proper fuel pressures a low rpms. Since I was able to obtain another metering valve, I am trying that first. If that doesn't fix the problem, 2micron has sent me information on cleaning and testing the pressure regulator valve. I hope that I do not have to do this because it means opening up the high pressure side of the fuel system. I would prefer not to have to do this. At least you can buy that N276 valve from VW, but it is not cheap. I refuse to believe that it is in the HPFP itself until I have exhausted all other (easier) possibilities.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I do not know what I would be doing about this issue without that Self Study Guide and 2micron. You gotta love this site.:D

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
Can you post the meter valve part number....I got a pretty good bosch dealer that might have it or can get it...even though the price you posted in the UK seems like a pretty good deal unless shipping is crazy expensive.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you post the meter valve part number....I got a pretty good bosch dealer that might have it or can get it...even though the price you posted in the UK seems like a pretty good deal unless shipping is crazy expensive.
Fuel Metering valve, Bosch part number: 0928 400 706
This is how it is marked on the part. On some websites I saw it is written as: 0 928 400 706. I have no idea which is correct, but it is the same numbers either way.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another minor update

OK, I am beginning to believe that it might be fixed (how's that for confidence?). I have done lots of driving, including a round trip from Vegas to San Diego (about 650 miles). I have put over 1450 miles on the car without a fault code since replacing the valve. This is a record and another 1000 miles or so and I will actually believe that it is fixed. I wonder how many HPFPs have been replaced by VW for this simple problem? If only we had a North American source for this Bosch fuel metering valve (vendors - hint, hint), it would save people a lot of money in parts and especially in labor. It's a simple 5 minute fix.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lookin' good ....

Today I fueled up my car for $2.38.9 per gallon (under $35.00 for 14 gallons - woot). Anyway, I noticed my odometer. I have now put over 2100 miles on my car since I replaced that fuel metering valve. This is well over double the longest distance I drove without a fuel pressure DTC before the swap. It really looks like my fuel pressure regulation issue is fixed. My car is the second car (that we know of) that has been fixed in five minutes or less of labor by replacing this valve. It is a pity that VW does not sell this part (they want to sell you a complete HPFP + labor to install it) and it is an even bigger pity that there does not appear to be a North American Bosch dealer that sells them. You either have to get lucky and find one (thanks again, Andrew) or you have to buy one in Europe and pay for shipping. If I do not post any more updates in this thread, you will know that it is truly fixed. There will be no more regular updates unless it fails again.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I'm glad I did not take the advice above and spend $250-300 and buy a new fuel rail.;)

Last edited:

BRDBIZ

TDI
VW JETTA 2009
P0088 p0087 codes

Originally Posted by BRDBIZ
HI, I dealt with a limp mode problem for a year and a half.I changed the injectors,fuel regulator on the rail and fuel sensor on the rail. Finally after doing multiple other things I decided it was the Fuel Pressure control valve on the hpfp . The problem was you could not buy it separate in the US.So i kept checking and you can buy it from Europe.I bought mine from WORLDCARPARTS out of the UK.The part was 99.00$ and shipping was 18.00. It took about a week to get it. It is brand new unused Bosch part. Put it on last week (it takes about 5 min) has run perfect since. The part number is 0928400706, it also goes by the part number 1462c00987. I have 2009 jetta tdi 2.0.In the U.S they want you to buy the whole pump.GOOD LUCK..

RayBone05

TDI
2011 Jetta sportwagon
P047A and P0087 codes Fuel pressure control valve

I have a 2011 TDI wagon and I'm having the glow plug flashing light with power loose and also the engine light is on. Its happening about every 60 miles and at first I could pull over and turn off and right back on and keep going, but Saturday it took an hr before it would start. Has anyone had this problem with 2011 and is it the same HPFP, with the same fuel pressure control valve Part# 0928400706? thanks for the help

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a 2011 TDI wagon and I'm having the glow plug flashing light with power loose and also the engine light is on. Its happening about every 60 miles and at first I could pull over and turn off and right back on and keep going, but Saturday it took an hr before it would start. Has anyone had this problem with 2011 and is it the same HPFP, with the same fuel pressure control valve Part# 0928400706? thanks for the help
2009 through (at least) 2014 model years used the same HPFP, so the same fuel metering valve should work. However, before ordering this valve I would take Oilhammer's advice in your other thread and check your fuel filter and your fuel metering valve for shrapnel. If you find little bits of metal in either place, I wouldn't waste money on a new valve. Your new HPFP will come with a new valve.

Have Fun!

Don

stappin

TDI
1.6 Golf K7 TDI
Don, I know this is an old thread but thought this might help anyone with a 1.6 TDI circa 2014.

My Golf 1.6 Mk7 TDI developed the flashing glow plug light, limp mode, and then eventually after 3 times the engine management light came on. Scanning the ODB2 code gave P0087 fault, so did some Googling and found this thread.

Now I checked my fuel metering valve and found a sticker covering my part number on the top which was listed as a Bosch 0928 400 768. I thought dang, it isn’t the same part number you described above! After some Googling again 0928 400 768 I found there appeared to be a further issue that this part number was listed as sold out everywhere I looked. Then buried on a parts page of a motor factors site I found the wording “also listed as 0928 400 706”, which are readily available!?

So I ordered a Bosch 0928 400 706 which is only listed as 2.0 TDI compatible (not 1.6) for £50 (inc tax/p&p) and it was physically identical apart from the part number. Fitted it and took it for a test drive and it was fine.

If I run into issues I’ll post again but thought it might be useful for 1.6 TDI owners.