Fuel leak

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
So, I have a new to me BEW and it looks and smells like there’s some fuel under breath the tandem pump pooling up in the trans grooves.

I have searched and I found fuel may leak from the vac pump, but I’m unsure if it is a gasket that needs replaced or i should get the vac pump? Which currently I can get a discount in until the end of today at cascade German , snd they are less than 250 miles from me so I’ll get my part quick too.

What experiences do you have with fuel leak at the tandem pump?

THANKS!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If you can't pin point the leak it's cheaper to try the gaskets, o-rings, or seals first.
Get's expensive fast playing guess a part.
Can you try dabbing the area with a paper towel to test where the leak is?

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I ordered a tandem pump from cascade , it’s covered in oil and the other day I thought i was gonna rear end someone when the breaks got hard. It probably just needs resealing but I don’t have the time to learn that right now. The break booster piece looks new too. Next problem with this nee to me car is the gears are a little Grindy when downshifting at a slow roll , like 20mph to 2nd 10 to first , it is just slightly metallic and I know it’s damaging the syncros

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you replace the gear oil?
I drained mine while the fluid was still warm.
Don't know if it matters but I always try to do it that way.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Actually the clutch started slipping like my old tuned ALH, just got the south bend installed yesterday, all fixed!!!