(fuel injector) chip causing car to go into random limp mode???

JZDUB

TDI
i have a 2003 VW TDI jetta with a AEM long ram cold air intake and a TDC powerbox which controls the amount of fuel aka chip. now it was fine when i first got it , now its starting to make my car go randomly and i mean RANDOMLY into what i call limp mode, what i mean by this is you will have your foot to the freakon board but you will hardly keep up with traffic, but at the same time i have a boost gauge installed so i can messure my boost PSI and it still creates boost but MUCH MUCH slower. the motor just feels lagey until it un-limps itself, then shes fun to drive. now the only things i can think of is 1: am i pushing to much air through a stock MAF because i have gone through 4 stock VW MAF's since i have owned the car, 2: is the chip is effed?? or 3:am i possibly flooding the motor? i can't see it being that because it sometimes will go for up to 45 minutes of driving fine and me beating on it than all of the sudden limp mode.. :( :( :( if someone out there could in any way guide me to what might be the problem it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Justin

JZDUB

TDI
no its a dry filter and the needle to turn down the chip just keeps spinning in both directions so i have no idea which is low and high anymore. and thanks for the quick responce. greatly appreciated!!! this car is driving me up the frigin walls!!!! lol

Falkirk107

TDI
Golf 6 1.6Tdi 105 DSG
haha. Just remove the power module and take it in and let volkswagen have a look. I would get another power module. Sounds like that one is no good. hehe

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
no its a dry filter and the needle to turn down the chip just keeps spinning in both directions so i have no idea which is low and high anymore. and thanks for the quick responce. greatly appreciated!!! this car is driving me up the frigin walls!!!! lol
There is your first clue. Take the tuning box out so you are back to stock and see if the problem goes away.

You shouldn't be going through MAF's like that. Maybe something about the aftermarket intake is fouling them. If you still have it, I would put the stock intake back on to see if your MAF lives longer.

The problem with aftermarket CAI's is that they are actually warm air intakes because they draw air from inside the engine compartment. Breathing is not a problem on a TDI. The stock intake is easily good for 200 HP or more. As a bonus, the stock intake protects you engine from water ingestion extremely well should you drive through standing water.

Tuning boxes are kinda bogus, as well. What they do is trick the ECU by modifying the output of a couple of sensors. Not a real "chip" tune.

Best bet. Throw the CAI and tuning box in the trash. For what you paid for those 2 items, you could have bought a real chip tune with cash left over that is dialed in by the chip tuner to work with your car and the performance requirements you desire within the limits of your turbo and injectors.

Last edited:

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
It could also be the extreme heatwave your Province is experiencing right now.
Has it just started limping in the hot weather?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Usually turning those boxes counter clockwise will reduce fuelling and they spin at least 30 turns in each direction so turn it at least 10 times counter clockwise and see if that helps. Also what about your turbo actuator, is that one sticky or rusted?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
There is your first clue. Take the tuning box out so you are back to stock and see if the problem goes away.

You shouldn't be going through MAF's like that. Maybe something about the aftermarket intake is fouling them. If you still have it, I would put the stock intake back on to see if your MAF lives longer.

The problem with aftermarket CAI's is that they are actually warm air intakes because they draw air from inside the engine compartment. Breathing is not a problem on a TDI. The stock intake is easily good for 200 HP or more. As a bonus, the stock intake protects you engine from water ingestion extremely well should you drive through standing water.

Tuning boxes are kinda bogus, as well. What they do is trick the ECU by modifying the output of a couple of sensors. Not a real "chip" tune.

Best bet. Throw the CAI and tuning box in the trash. For what you paid for those 2 items, you could have bought a real chip tune with cash left over that is dialed in by the chip tuner to work with your car and the performance requirements you desire within the limits of your turbo and injectors.

WINNAR!!!

Do this and see what happens.

Bill

Falkirk107

TDI
Golf 6 1.6Tdi 105 DSG

I cannot agree more!