Fuel heater for running SVO/WVO

djr6789

TDI
Passat B5 AFN
One thing I have not seen posted here is using the Audi 2.5 V6 fuel cooler as a heater for running your car on WVO/SVO . Using this will heat up your oil to coolant temperature lowering its viscosity. The Audi cooler is almost Identical to the flat plate heat exchangers that are sold by biotuning.co.uk

Here is the biotuning heat exchanger

And here is the Audi one

The biotuning one costs around £50 iirc but the Audi part can be had cheap off ebay second hand. I've gotten one as cheap as £12 posted! The part number for it is 059203493A They are fitted to the Audi A4 A6 2.5 TDI V6 and possibly a few other models. This is a really good modification for running your pre-PD engine on oil.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well, the picture of the Audi part is a little fuzzy and not as well lit. It doesn't look like it has equivalent heat transfer capacity, but that might just be the picture.

djr6789

TDI
Passat B5 AFN
Yes it is smaller. I believe the width and length are the same. Just the height is a bit smaller. Not much difference in them to be honest. The top lip on the biotuning is a lot taller making the Audi one look a lot smaller in the picture . I have used the Audi part on a mk4 golf and It worked great.

Also forgot to add the fuel line fittings are 8mm and coolant fittings are 12mm

TheDude

TDI
VW Passat 1.9TDI Syncro -99 (AFN)
Yes it is smaller. I believe the width and length are the same. Just the height is a bit smaller. Not much difference in them to be honest. The top lip on the biotuning is a lot taller making the Audi one look a lot smaller in the picture . I have used the Audi part on a mk4 golf and It worked great.

Also forgot to add the fuel line fittings are 8mm and coolant fittings are 12mm
Hello!

Do you run your AFN engine on WVO/SVO fuel? If so, what are your modifications to do this?
I have read around on this subject and it doesn´t seem so hard to do, but I have a Syncro, with Lift pump in the tank and have realised that lift pumps don´t like vegetable oil...
And, I also live in a colder climate, where it can be down to -30 degrees celsius.

I guess I will have to mix diesel and WVO/SVO like up to 50/50 or more, to do this?
Or, preheat the fuel really much, maybe two heaters?

What do you think?

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
In a two tank system, the WVO will have a dedicated lift pump, so that should not be an issue. You probably want a heated tank and fuel lines, as well as a heated filter and either an electric or flat plate fuel heater. With those modifications, I had no trouble running my vehicles at temps as low as 30 below F. As soon as the engine was up to operating temp, the fuel was warm. I never mixed diesel in the WVO tank. You do want to purge well when you shut down.