Fuel guage compatibility

cbandy

TDI
pickup
Does anyone know if a 98 Jetta TDI fuel guage should be compat with a 81 VW pickup fuel sending unit? I'm getting erroneous readings, when i fill up i get a full indication and as i drive the guage begins to decend to approx 1/2 full. I thought maybe float, but the next day I started it up and noticed that it was reading full once again and then slowly decends to approx 1/2 full. It seems to read empty when it is pretty close to empty and also gives the fuel light on.:(

Has anyone found this to be true?

I have checked and rechecked the ground and connections all seem to be tight and clean.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I suggest that you take a look at this link http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798&page=10 Scroll down near the bottom of page 10 and see the fabrication!

The link is located here in the TDI Conversions. I'm using the ALH Cluster in place of the Vanagon Cluster with my conversion. So, to ensure that the Fuel Gauge would operate, although it may not be totally accurate, I installed the fuel level sending unit in the Vanagon fuel tank.