Fuel Gauge

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hey all. So today a weird thing happened. I was driving and I looked down at my fuel gauge and it was reading all the way empty but the tank was over half. Cycled the key the next time I stopped and it came back to normal. Any ideas or is this my fuel gauge starting to go!!?

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Could be, most likely sending unit in tank
Hey all. So today a weird thing happened. I was driving and I looked down at my fuel gauge and it was reading all the way empty but the tank was over half. Cycled the key the next time I stopped and it came back to normal. Any ideas or is this my fuel gauge starting to go!!?
Could be, most likely sending unit in tank check that first

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
My sedan did that once years ago, low fuel warning triggered even though the tank was 3/4 full. Guage returned to normal after about 10 minutes and has never done it again.

Weird.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
My sedan did that once years ago, low fuel warning triggered even though the tank was 3/4 full. Guage returned to normal after about 10 minutes and has never done it again.

Weird.
Well hopefully mine is a one off too! Thanks!

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
None, sold my 2003 NB
When we got our NB the fuel gauge would always read full at startup, and slowly settle to the actual level over 10-20 minutes. I pulled the sending unit from the tank and cleaned the slime off of it and it's worked properly ever since.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

Mine has done this a couple of times over the past 10 years.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
When we got our NB the fuel gauge would always read full at startup, and slowly settle to the actual level over 10-20 minutes. I pulled the sending unit from the tank and cleaned the slime off of it and it's worked properly ever since.
Same here. Rescued a sedan from a local field and had to do this.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Not too bad, just make sure you’re below 1/2 tank before you unscrew the cap on top of the tank that holds the sender unit. Just clean off the contacts with a q-tip and some alcohol.
You’ll need to flip up the passenger rear seat to get at it.